Bachmann Baldwin sound fitted and NCE Power Cab

rynd2it

I am new to using DCC and especially sound and have just acquired a Bachmann Baldwin with the factory sound fitted. Well pleased with the model but I'm running into some challenges in programming the NCE Power Cab to control the loco and specifically the sound.

The NCE has pre-programmed buttons for the whistle, horn and some other functions but it seems that the whistle button is set to provide function F10 - but this function is for sound on/off on the Bachmann chip. So pressing it turns the sound on and seems to try to make the whistle sound. I can program the options button to make F10 and other functions appear on the NCE screen and select the desired one by simply pressing the number (say 6 which translates then to F16)

However, doing this gave some strange results, the loco had the background steam sound but would not move until I pressed another function (forgot which) then it would not stop despite pressing the emergency stop. Clearly I'm getting some conflicts between the Cab and the chip but I'm really struggling to work out which is the right way to control this loco and chip.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

The Baldwin sound project as fitted by Bachmann works with NCE PowerCab without making any changes to the PowerCab from the standard set-up (though changing the Option key to operate a a Shift key will simplify access to higher F keys).

By default, the PowerCab Horn/whistle button operates whatever is on F key 2, but whilst F key 2 is a 'Latched' key (one press for On another press for OFF), the Horn key is momentary action (press and hold for on, release for OFF).

In this project F Key 2 is assigned to manual brake, so if F key 2 is engaged, the model cannot be moved (the brakes are on!).

F key 1 is the sound on/off key (not F key 10).

F key 10 is for Speed Lock. That is, if this is engaged when moving the speed remains fixed, but the throttle can be used to change the engin sounds. Of course, if you engage this at speed = 0 then you will notg be able to drive the model as the speed will be 'fixed' at 0 (until you release F key 10.

Start again with your PowerCab reset to default state (make Option Key act as Shift Key if you wish, but that's all.

Turn off all power, wait a few seconds, then power up again. press only F key 1 to start the sound. open the throttle and the model will move and the exhaust sounds (Chuffs) will play.

Then, read the Baldwin's user instructions/function list to discover what the other F keys on your PowerCab will operate.

If you can't find them, here's the function list:

Baldwin F Keys.pdf

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

2 hours ago, rynd2it said:

Thanks Paul,

I 'll start again and I should probably  reset the Power cab by setting it to cab 0 first.

I knew it could be that difficult

Hi

DO NOT set the PowerCab to 0.  It should if only one cab, be set to 2. Which is the as supplied cab number.

9 minutes ago, Brian said:

Hi

DO NOT set the PowerCab to 0.  It should if only one cab, be set to 2. Which is the as supplied cab number.

Setting it to 0 resets it to factory default and then automatically sets itself to Cab=2, but you should know that ;)

We have a Powercab at the local club with a rather odd issue:

Headlight, Bell & Horn/Whistle should control functions 0, 1 & 2, but the club's one decides to control different functions for some reason. I am less worried about driving trains than I am about building layouts so have not spent much time investigating it.

I think re-cycling the power sorts it out, but you don't want to be doing that every 30 minutes at a show, particularly while locos are running or idling with sound & lights on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2021 at 10:40, Pete the Elaner said:

We have a Powercab at the local club with a rather odd issue:

Headlight, Bell & Horn/Whistle should control functions 0, 1 & 2, but the club's one decides to control different functions for some reason. I am less worried about driving trains than I am about building layouts so have not spent much time investigating it.

I think re-cycling the power sorts it out, but you don't want to be doing that every 30 minutes at a show, particularly while locos are running or idling with sound & lights on.

The Power cab has probably been re-programmed to provide different short cuts to various functions. The principal one is setting the 'option' button to give access to the higher numbered Function keys.  I'm still investigating much of this as I discovered that turning the sound off/on set the speed to zero and that is definitely counter-intuitive and inconvenient

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

The Power cab has probably been re-programmed to provide different short cuts to various functions. The principal one is setting the 'option' button to give access to the higher numbered Function keys.  I'm still investigating much of this as I discovered that turning the sound off/on set the speed to zero and that is definitely counter-intuitive and inconvenient

That sounds very plausible.

IIRC, value 122 sets the Option button to allow easy access to F10-28 & this is the preferred option among all who have used it at the club.

It is a strange one though. Resetting the Powercab sets the buttons to F0-2 as they should be, then they change part way through an operating session. I've seen it do it but can't remember what occurrence causes this to happen.

8 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That sounds very plausible.

IIRC, value 122 sets the Option button to allow easy access to F10-28 & this is the preferred option among all who have used it at the club.

It is a strange one though. Resetting the Powercab sets the buttons to F0-2 as they should be, then they change part way through an operating session. I've seen it do it but can't remember what occurrence causes this to happen.

Yes, 122 is the way to get the option to get to the higher Functions.

Your problem is probably similar to mine with the sound on/off option, but it'll take some investigating. As a programmer of many years - lesson one is only change one thing at a time. If you look at all the functions that the operators commonly use then it should be possible to set up sequences that are likely and try them. I'll be doing some of that soon and will probably go nuts trying ;)