Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

• RMweb Gold

According to the tv show most of the income appears to come from brand new releases so it’s in Hornby’s interests to keep churning out new stuff so we should be seeing stuff not done by Hornby before (however I didn’t say not done by anyone else before)!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Legend said:

And it’s for keeps 

I do wonder if he will come to regret that line at some point someone will throw it back at him at a show when their prized model is faulty. I do feel sorry for him as the face of Hornby he must take some flak sometimes..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Smokey Joe by Accurascale?

Nah…

its based off an LMS prototype and no one makes models of LMS steam any more.

Pollys already been knocked off by the Peckett.

It must surely be 101… stick it on a B4 chassis and lets go..

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I do wonder if he will come to regret that line at some point someone will throw it back at him at a show when their prized model is faulty. I do feel sorry for him as the face of Hornby he must take some flak sometimes..

I'd feel more sorry for those behind him, having to live up to the promises he makes....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

All the info will be on here at 10.00 on the 10th. Of course it will be on Hornby's site too but, if previous years are anything to go by, it will be slow (or hung) and difficult to find the key information quickly

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at how many servers (or indeed clouds!) it would take to keep the Hornby website going on range announcement day?

I don't fancy being in their (or their agency's) DevOps team as the entire model railway community descends on their digital platforms at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

What about Battlespace and giraffe cars?   On the other hand we could do what Triang always used to do and look at the latest developments from Lionel and get things like diesel loco smoke units and blowing safety valve effects on steam outline models.

Thinking back to the early episodes of the documentary series, I seem to remember the engineering boffins tinkering with a new smoke/steam system similar to the TRS Trains arrangements? Something like that would be very welcome!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at how many servers (or indeed clouds!) it would take to keep the Hornby website going on range announcement day?

I don't fancy being in their (or their agency's) DevOps team as the entire model railway community descends on their digital platforms at the same time.

That is the reason why I will be relying on Andy to bring us all the news in a more readable format on here.

• Agree 5

11 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Definitely won't be 'their' digital team, they outsource everything else.

As I won't be ordering anything from them (let me just get in a 'Nothing in it for me' while I can :lol:), I'll happily scroll down a page on RMWeb curated by Andy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

While a reworking of the earlier versions of the HST Mk3s would be welcome. I think Hornby are going to be more radical this year:

1 large steam engine

1 medium sized steam engine

1 small steam engine possibly industrial.

To paraphrase Blackadder goes Fourth, doing exactly the same thing they have done the last 35 times before is the last thing anyone will suspect. 

Once these locos are announced, I will once again restrain from saying there is nothing in it for me.

They really should update/improve their 50 before someone else does, and someone else will. Same goes for the 31.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

The only surviving one is sitting in the 1 - 1 collection in the warehouse next door to their offices.

All the best

Merry Christmas

Ray

Boring!

How about going for a niche EMU and announcing a model of the 503 parked next to it in the 1:1 warehouse?

Of course, anything with a TTS chip in it will arrive in December 2023 due to lack of semiconductor production capacity in the Far East...

• Like 2

I would say - again - a 31/4 in BR Blue!

Although, now having waited so long for one I wouldn’t actually buy one if they did, I think the 31 is ripe for picking off by one of the new manufacturers (along with most of their diesel range to be honest) so I’m in the process of selling anything I have that’s Hornby anyway! 

• Like 1

I imagine lots of re runs of models than other manufacturers are doing placed into the Railroad range such as the Class 37 and maybe the Hall as a cheaper alternative to Bachmann’s. I think someone else will pick off the remaining fleet of their diesels that haven’t already been done elsewhere in the near future. As for steam the S160 is popular on wish lists but a retool of the Black 5 or 8F might be more likely. I wouldn’t be complaining if either of those are done! 

• Like 1