Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

6 hours ago, MrTea said:

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at how many servers (or indeed clouds!) it would take to keep the Hornby website going on range announcement day?

Given they are still wedded to archaic 8 pin DCC technology I suspect they are probably still using a Tandy TRS-80 as their main server.  Clearly they've never heard of silver surfers and think their main marketing demographic haven't advanced beyond the quill pen, so are amazed when the trusty Tandy goes mammaries up on announcement day as all the grey pounders log in to see if their favourite tea urn has been announced.

Cynical?  Do you think?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, Global said:

I would say - again - a 31/4 in BR Blue!

Although, now having waited so long for one I wouldn’t actually buy one if they did, I think the 31 is ripe for picking off by one of the new manufacturers (along with most of their diesel range to be honest) so I’m in the process of selling anything I have that’s Hornby anyway! 

I gave up waiting and bought a professionally repainted (from the useless DCR release) 31/4 in blue second hand from Tatbay at a tasty price.  That should guarantee one being released in the range sometime in the next decade, shortly after Accurascale have moved on to make one no doubt.

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, Standards_in_OO said:

I imagine lots of re runs of models than other manufacturers are doing placed into the Railroad range such as the Class 37 and maybe the Hall as a cheaper alternative to Bachmann’s. I think someone else will pick off the remaining fleet of their diesels that haven’t already been done elsewhere in the near future. As for steam the S160 is popular on wish lists but a retool of the Black 5 or 8F might be more likely. I wouldn’t be complaining if either of those are done! 

If there is any Class 37 one in original BR Green or BR Blue are both long overdue in the RailRoad range. 

015-2013-watercress-line-ropley-class-37-d6836.jpg

5191693456_59e928f289_Steve_Jones.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Knowing how they like a theme it will be 75 years since the last year of the Big Four and for 2023 they can celebrate 75 years of BR being formed with yet more  of a  Stanier tender fitted West Country that failed to sell well before.

Yes please. Barnstaple this time as I've already got Bude.  :D

Just the thing for the Rapido Dynamometer Car.

I disagree with the "didn't sell" as they flew off the shelves as I spent ages trying to get one. Had to get a preowned one from Hattons in the end.

Jason

• Like 3

D6537 in BR green appearing in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 RailRoad range as R2939. This will be a ten year absence in the range by 2022.  So Perhaps a RailRoad Class 33 in BR Blue would be a welcome nice reintroduction to the RailRoad range.   

Also Another long absence any Class J13/J52 would be nice to see again! 

Dsc_0071.jpg

2010_r2971.jpg

Edited by RyanN91
Class J13/J52
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RyanN91 said:

If there is any Class 37 one in original BR Green or BR Blue are both long overdue in the RailRoad range. 

015-2013-watercress-line-ropley-class-37-d6836.jpg

5191693456_59e928f289_Steve_Jones.jpg

Yes I agree….I’d buy either if they announced those. I have Loch Lomond on pre order from Accurascale but wouldn’t mind a cheaper alternative if I could get one. I can’t think of any other diesel (mainstream)  loco that they could do as a new tooling that hasn’t already been done by someone else to a reasonable or high standard. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrTea said:

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at how many servers (or indeed clouds!) it would take to keep the Hornby website going on range announcement day?

I don't fancy being in their (or their agency's) DevOps team as the entire model railway community descends on their digital platforms at the same time.

Its a click of a button to go from RI to ondemand sizing in cloud, but you also have to pay for it.

For one day, they may just decide to not bother.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, JohnR said:

A BR Blue Railroad 37 would be bought in a shot. And I've got an Accurascale one on order anyway (and would buy more when other variants come out). 

I’m quite tempted by the Europhenix one but not sure when it’s coming out. If it’s a reasonable price I would get it and I already have the large logo 47 on order from this year but I think I’m a while off receiving that. Accurascales should be worth the wait but that’s one for a different thread!

Edited by Standards_in_OO
  • Like 2

I'm still digesting the 2020 2021 ranges,

If it's wishes then...

Other than the ones announced.

Newly tooled some originally planned but never finalised from the 1970s and 1980s some of them are taken from Pat Hammond's Hornby Book of Trains The First 100 years. 

any one of the following would be nice 

GWR Class 14XX (Newly tooled)

GWR ‘City’ 3440 City of Truro 

Maunsell ‘Z’ 0-8-0T

GWR 2251 Class 3205

LMR 600 Gordon

LMS 6399 "Fury"

AC Electrics 

Any one here 

BR Class 81

BR Class 82

BR Class 83

BR Class 84

BR Class 89 (if Rails don't go through with it)

BR Class 140 pacer Railbus ( I know Hornby don't do one-offs of diesel electric DMUs EDMUs etc, I'd love this one it would be nice although they probably won't do this!) 

LMS Railway dynamometer car Coach

RailRoad and reintroduced models.

BR (W) 2-8-0 38XX

GWR  or British Railways 4-6-0 County Class any would be nice ("County Of Northampton" 1022 I'd love this one in BR Black BR early crest)

BR Class 33 BR Blue

BR Class 37 BR Blue DCC Digital Sound TTS fitted. Or BR BR Class 37 in original BR Green DCC Digital Sound TTS 

J13 Saddle Tank 

BR MK3 TS BR Blue Grey 

BR MK3 TF  BR Blue Grey

BR MK3 Buffet BR Blue Grey 

(above MK3 Coach stock the Older toolings now RailRoad range possibly to complement the 2019 RailRoad BR Class 43 HST power Cars BR)

BR Class 370 APT-P Sets 370 005 and 370 006 in Final APT-P logo with red stripe livery with the 4 coach packs and the additional

NDM.

BR Class 142 pacer Railbus any era.

BR Class 09

Connex Class 466

• Like 3

Based on the TV show and reading the tea leafs :boast:

I'll go for:

New tool HST with ?Mk 3s in 2022/23 given they've redone Mks 1,2 and 4.

A new 59/66 - above the Limby one but below Hattons spec.

A new EMU/DMU possibly a Networker or Electrostar

Synchronised smoke/sound units

More new tool Mk1s

GWR kettle.

A WD 2-10-0

S160

Industrial diesel/steam loco.

Given 2022 is 25 years since Virgin Trains began a VT 87 and Mk 3s/DVT or the Railroad 86/90. Plus HST set possibly as the original Virgin CrossCountry publicity run.

Left field idea a Voyager with the Super Voyager reusing the APT tilt package.

Some sort of announcement on the future of the Oxford Rail brand. 

Oh and something totally unexpected like TTS and Rocket.

I'm probably wrong on the whole lot :jester:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, QuoitsPlayer said:

Based on the TV show and reading the tea leafs :boast:

I'll go for:

New tool HST with ?Mk 3s in 2022/23 given they've redone Mks 1,2 and 4.

A new 59/66 - above the Limby one but below Hattons spec.

A new EMU/DMU possibly a Networker or Electrostar

Synchronised smoke/sound units

More new tool Mk1s

GWR kettle.

A WD 2-10-0

S160

Industrial diesel/steam loco.

Given 2022 is 25 years since Virgin Trains began a VT 87 and Mk 3s/DVT or the Railroad 86/90. Plus HST set possibly as the original Virgin CrossCountry publicity run.

Left field idea a Voyager with the Super Voyager reusing the APT tilt package.

Some sort of announcement on the future of the Oxford Rail brand. 

Oh and something totally unexpected like TTS and Rocket.

I'm probably wrong on the whole lot :jester:

Yes Virgin Trains 25th anniversary! Perhaps the additional 5 Pendolino coaches for Alstom livery 2015 set . Yes 1999 was the year the Hornby Virgin Trains 125 train set was released at this time briefly it was the Hornby Railways 1986 logo blue box Train set design used from 1996-1998, 1999.

I think the Virgin Trains 125 set in the Hornby Railways blue box design is quite rare.  In 1999 the blue box design was phased out and replaced with the new 1997 Hornby logo box design look as seen here with other Hornby Virgin Trains train sets. Also the evolution design of Hornby Train sets from 1999-2015.

641.jpg

H3260-L60212137.jpg

R1049-U02_3280557_Qty1_box.jpg

540x360.jpg

r1134_virgin_trains_pendolino_dcc_ready_train_set.jpg

6a00d83451ea7269e2012876457994970c.jpg

917if3tsk1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Being (almost) serious I reckon an EMU (? Electrostar as it has plenty of livery options); an LNER streamliner coaching set; a reworked Class 47 because that's fashionable and we can't have other people pinching our models;  a GWR dining car of some sort; a 'Totfield Firebolt' set to look sort of like someone else's Titfield Thunderbolt set but not too close to avoid upsetting the French; steam outline model with working exhaust steam, maybe on a new/revised Hornby Dublo branded model (an A4 in silver grey livery?); a Victorian era industrial loco (because they seem to be all the rage).  Wild card - a superdetailed rework of the Black 5.

I would point out that my normal guessing quotient indicates that maybe one or even two of the above predictions almost stand a slight chance of being correct.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Given they are still wedded to archaic 8 pin DCC technology I suspect they are probably still using a Tandy TRS-80 as their main server.  Clearly they've never heard of silver surfers and think their main marketing demographic haven't advanced beyond the quill pen, so are amazed when the trusty Tandy goes mammaries up on announcement day as all the grey pounders log in to see if their favourite tea urn has been announced.

Cynical?  Do you think?

Why not insult everyone? Oh, you have. Merry Christmas. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

For me, a North Western Trains 153(although I'm aware they've done the livery twice, one with the branding would be good) and a Transrail 60. I also wouldn't mind some FGW fag packet Mk2 coaches.

As for new tool, I reckon we'll see a couple of new steam locos(maybe the LMS Turbomotive as they've done some LNER experimentals?), possibly a shunter of sorts. New mk3s would be good(and logical). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I predict at least 10 ruddy terrier’s in ever livery imageable apart from x which someone wants and then goes on to moan about it not being down on ever page of Hornby Facebook  page even after being told it was only done the other year. 

• Funny 3

My guess for the Hornby 2022 range:

1. New HST. including Mk. 3 stock. (Intercity / GNER / LNER - to match class 91)
2. Retooled Black 5

3. Southern Q class. 

no new diesel locomotives. 

new liveries for Limby class 156 / 47 / 66 and 59. 
Lots more fitted with TTS. 
Another run of class 31. Intercity swallow / Dutch / EWS

A southern pregrouping company coach set. Something like LSWR.... (Simon is back and thus so will be pro-Southern bias)

Possible EMU. Wessex Electric... 

Also rans:

Retooled 8F
retooled 142. 
retooled 110

• Like 2

I always thought it would be more of a Bachmann thing to develop a WD 2-10-0 given that they already do the 2-8-0 but Hornby could do it to follow on from the 9F and complete the set of 2-10-0s. 

They should go for a Black 5 before someone else does given how old the tooling is for to now. 

One the rolling stock side I would expect more liveries of the generic coaches and HAA wagons and I’m hoping for some additional Mk1s in Intercity livery as they have released only a couple so far and would be nice to have a rake of them. 

• Like 1