Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

1 minute ago, Paul.Uni said:

The Hornby twitter is advertising The Railway Children sequel, so something that features in it? I hope the S160.

Yes, I could be tempted by an S160, provided it was at the Railroad end of the price range and not in the main range.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

The Hornby twitter is advertising The Railway Children sequel, so something that features in it? I hope the S160.

Hornby do make a 4F don’t they already? A bit dated perhaps but a good start. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

6024 is due back in service in 2022 so a special return to service edition would be great. 

6024 would have been in service last year, so should Hornby have announced it then too, only for it to be delayed into 2022?

• Funny 4

44 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Hornby do make a 4F don’t they already? A bit dated perhaps but a good start. 

Wrong type of 4F.

The one at the K&WVR is a Midland version like Bachmann make.

BTW. The reference to 6024 was more the name than the locomotive. I was trying to wind up the Celts....  :prankster:

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

I’m going for an announcement that they’ve acquired a load of old toolings from Bachmann and their first new release in the Railroad range will be a GWR Manor….

I responded "funny" to this but the the reality of the complex and convoluted relationship between Kader (Bachmann's parent company), was it Sander Kan (Hornby's outsourced production company in China) and Hornby themselves it's a bit like the opening credits of Stingray - Anything could happen in the next half hour...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

Wonder if Hornby will go down the deluxe route with some models same as Bachmann.....

I wonder if Hornby's version of "dulux" is that it'll be painted the correct colour.

(There is a pun, but don't expect non-UK RMwebbers to get it)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Whatever they announce it will include something I have just built or have ready to start. 

I was doing the panelling on my Siphon G ex Ambulance car conversion whilst Accurascale were announcing theirs. 

My previous record included three Coke Hoppers and Van C from Hornby and the Pillbox Brake and Plate wagons from Bachmann.

Hornby could always do an LMS  Period 3 Open third based on the Coronation Scot version since I have already done a rake of LMS Open stock or they could annoy me by producing some Gresley ones that are currently awaiting doing..

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

20 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Whatever they announce it will include something I have just built or have ready to start. 

Perhaps we could have a full list of your recently built or to build so that we know what to expect from Hornby on 10th January :-)

Edited by rovex
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, rovex said:

Perhaps we could have a full list of your recently built or to build so that we know what to expect from Hornby on 10th January :-)

Well, for a start there are some Catfish hoppers on the go.

I'm collecting parts to upgrade the Palethorpes vans to the correct length with a decent chassis and to do the 50ft bogie versions. 

I have donors and etches ready for Gresley Open Brake 3rds to go in an excursion rake, I've already done one open 3rd.

An LMS 57ft Buffet Car is just waiting for the interior to be built

Donors and etches in hand for an RCAF conversion of a Gresley Sleeper

Ditto a GWR 60ft 9-compartment third of the type similar to the Airfix B set

LMS Period 2 and Period 3 Pull-Push conversions done

Periods 1,2 and 3 LMS Open stock done.

Rivet body and cupboard door 16T minerals done.

The kit stash includes some decent bogie bolsters, a proper length LMS Cattle wagon, a Mica B which will become a Tevan and a Cravens Class 129 DPU.

As for Bachmann, I also did the PMV, CCT and Tube wagons just before they were announced. I got fed up of waiting for the 74xx so I made one from a 64xx, and I've done a Brake Composite and Corridor Third from the old LMS panelled Brake Third and Corridor Composite.

Projects in design or under consideration include a Maunsell RFO to Buffet conversion, Midland Tar Distillers tanks based on Bachmann Anchor mount and Oxford Rail donors, some proper size LMS 12T vans and accurate Iron Ore hoppers.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Well, for a start there are some Catfish hoppers on the go.

I'm collecting parts to upgrade the Palethorpes vans to the correct length with a decent chassis and to do the 50ft bogie versions. 

I have donors and etches ready for Gresley Open Brake 3rds to go in an excursion rake, I've already done one open 3rd.

An LMS 57ft Buffet Car is just waiting for the interior to be built

Donors and etches in hand for an RCAF conversion of a Gresley Sleeper

Ditto a GWR 60ft 9-compartment third of the type similar to the Airfix B set

LMS Period 2 and Period 3 Pull-Push conversions done

Periods 1,2 and 3 LMS Open stock done.

Rivet body and cupboard door 16T minerals done.

The kit stash includes some decent bogie bolsters, a proper length LMS Cattle wagon, a Mica B which will become a Tevan and a Cravens Class 129 DPU.

As for Bachmann, I also did the PMV, CCT and Tube wagons just before they were announced. I got fed up of waiting for the 74xx so I made one from a 64xx, and I've done a Brake Composite and Corridor Third from the old LMS panelled Brake Third and Corridor Composite.

Projects in design or under consideration include a Maunsell RFO to Buffet conversion, Midland Tar Distillers tanks based on Bachmann Anchor mount and Oxford Rail donors, some proper size LMS 12T vans and accurate Iron Ore hoppers.

That should keep Hornby busy for a while then :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of you starting a Diagram N, A10, or A20 (TVR gangwayed twin set) auto trailer, Signal Engineer?  If you can provoke any RTR or even kit/3D outfit into providing these I'll happily buy the beer should I ever meet you...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel the pain of The Signal Engineer, like many modellers on this website who have spent time on their latest  pride and joy model, only for some company to come out with the same thing a little while afterwards,  normally Bachmann with me. WD, Derby light weight, Super D, Half cab, the L&YR 2-4-2t though I’d only just brought that kit. Hornby did me with the Ivatt princess Coronation, finished just be for in Christmas and in the new year they announced sir bill. 

just ordered a L&YR Barton-Wright Ironclad kit I wonder? Though they probably wait till I finish it. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Wonder if Hornby will go down the deluxe route with some models same as Bachmann.....

Reference the Bachmann deLuxe class 47,  i'm hearing reports of high resistance by buyers  and retailers for  the 47 for all three levels  of price, first class model that it is,  I think we have stumbled on the point of diminishing returns for price vs accuracy / quality of a model diesel-outline loco, Hornby watch out!  

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pandora said:

Reference the Bachmann deLuxe class 47,  i'm hearing reports of high resistance by buyers  and retailers for  the 47 for all three levels  of price, first class model that it is,  I think we have stumbled on the point of diminishing returns for price vs accuracy / quality of a model diesel-outline loco, Hornby watch out!  

I'm not surprised. Models are now very expensive at a time when house hold finances are coming under pressure from other areas. Particularly when the previous model is maybe deemed "good enough"....

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Any chance of you starting a Diagram N, A10, or A20 (TVR gangwayed twin set) auto trailer, Signal Engineer?  If you can provoke any RTR or even kit/3D outfit into providing these I'll happily buy the beer should I ever meet you...

I was waiting for Dapol to do a 4mm version of a panelled GWR Auto Coach to alternate with the Flying Banana on the branch local. I already have W8, W14, W22, a Gloucester Bubble Car, and two Hawksworth Auto Coaches, a no topfeed 14xx (modified Airfix) and a Stafford Road 64xx. The services  my layout is based on used all of these when I was a child but the earliest I remember before the 122s arrived was a 70 footer of early 1900s vintage.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Hornby could always do an LMS  Period 3 Open third based on the Coronation Scot version since I have already done a rake of LMS Open stock

Which says something about how many of these vehicles the LMS had.  Unfortunately flashy collectors items are apparently more profitable than general service stock, which is why there is an rtr model of the LNER Hush Hush but not of the LMS vans that outnumbered it by four or five orders of magnitude.

Really an LMS general service vestibule third should be on Hornby's to do list, as for heaven's sake should that PIII driving trailer.  Fowler 2-6-2T if they must have a loco to go with it (much more distinctive in appearance than the Stanier class, if equally insipid).

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's normally the "just started" or "just paid more than the RTR version costs" that are the real blows.

The finished ones are fine as you've already done it!

Until you take them to shows and people ask "Is that the new Hornby/Bachmann model?"

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pandora said:

I think it depends on the relative split between normal / deluxe which I don’t suppose we’ll know - it seems like the deluxe 47 with working fans is hard to find with lots of retailers appearing sold out - maybe the batch size was small?  The classic trick in marketing is to charge each customer the max they’re prepared to pay and this is a classic example of this. I would say their pricing is clever too - normally I am not a sound guy but do run DCC - the differential from base to DCC sound was less than usual such that it tempted me into the sound version once I’d factored in what it would cost for a regular DCC chip, closing the differential further. And the gap to deluxe then looked ok until a) few retailers had them and b) psychologically I couldn’t bring myself to pay over £300…

I actually think Bachmann are onto something here and would welcome similar approaches where high end features are added on deluxe models for those that want/ can afford but keep base price down for others. Now of course the base price wasn’t low to start with and whilst not wanting to open THAT debate, I wonder whether other features could be relocated to deluxe versions to lower base model price - maybe things like pre fitted speakers, sprung buffers etc.?

I think the challenge with Bach’s 47 for me is that it isn’t enough different to previous model which ticked most boxes for me.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I seem to remember reading an interview with one of the Bachmann managers some years ago where he said that sprung buffers alone added £10 to the cost of a model - naturally, that will be more now.

In the case of steam locos, arguably leaving the backheads unpainted would be another cost saver.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pandora said:

Reference the Bachmann deLuxe class 47,  i'm hearing reports of high resistance by buyers  and retailers for  the 47 for all three levels  of price,

So how come the deluxe models have seemingly sold out very quickly? Not a lot of resistance there.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, newbryford said:

So how come the deluxe models have seemingly sold out very quickly? Not a lot of resistance there.

Higher price and sell less, can equal, lower price but sell more, in terms of getting same profit. Ergo you don't need as many to buy it, and if more resist then that's ok so long as there's enough fewer people that still do. I think that is likely to be the case and it drives up demand for more in future as some will perceive to have missed out. 

I have seen one video of the sound fitted one and on first impressions was not taken by the sound used. Would be interested to see more... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1