Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

32 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

I think we’ve already seen the impact of the generation who saw steam pre 1968. However, the younger generation have a different perspective.  We’ve grown up seeing preserved steam.  I recall being told, and it may be incorrect, that in the 70s BR was funny about having preserved locos in BR livery hence some of the fictional ones and the predominance of Big 4 liveries (an interesting aside in that some of those preservation pioneers were themselves recreating what they’d seen when younger.). Certainly my recollection is of GWR, the Longmoor bright blue and LMS reds on the SVR of the late 70s/early 80s.  If you think of the Bluebell today, the locos that stand out are the SECR liveries.  Which we see in rtr….

With some notable exceptions, preserved railways operate what they’ve got and a lot of Mark 1s.  It’s sadly not anachronistic to see a beautifully liveried pre grouping loco hauling maroon mark ones.  Hence if you’re a manufacturer, you can argue that you’re allowing modellers to recreate what they see. You don’t need accurate pre grouping rolling stock.

My predictions:

Die cast A4 and Castle.

Possible Silver Jubilee set to complement a die cast A4.

Saint.

I see more kids at Steam Galas than I do at Diesel Galas. I grew up in an era when almost everything was BR Blue and filthy. The antidote to that was visits to places like Dinting, Carnforth, Southport, KWVR, etc.

You go to a heritage railway when there are steam trains running and it's full of families. The kids all being fascinated by the engines, the little ones with Thomas flags and blowing those annoying whistles.

You go to a Diesel Galas and it's all OAPs with hardly anyone under about 50. I saw a Class 68 in Sheffield the other week and there was a crowd of about twenty  "spotters" around it taking photos. Not one was under sixty. Me and my brother had a stroll up and lowered the age a tiny bit. :prankster:

So no idea where this myth that it's youngsters that like diesels and electrics has come from. Never see any.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I see more kids at Steam Galas than I do at Diesel Galas. I grew up in an era when almost everything was BR Blue and filthy. The antidote to that was visits to places like Dinting, Carnforth, Southport, KWVR, etc.

You go to a heritage railway when there are steam trains running and it's full of families. The kids all being fascinated by the engines, the little ones with Thomas flags and blowing those annoying whistles.

You go to a Diesel Galas and it's all OAPs with hardly anyone under about 50. I saw a Class 68 in Sheffield the other week and there was a crowd of about twenty  "spotters" around it taking photos. Not one was under sixty. Me and my brother had a stroll up and lower the age a tiny bit. :prankster:

So no idea where this myth that it's youngsters that like diesels and electrics has come from. Never see any.

Jason

Should go looking at units then.

Thats where the kids are at.

I see quite a lot of mid40’s at Diesel galas.

Steam galas is definitely an older crowd.

ive spent much of the last decade recording as much steam, especially mainline, as I can, as I feel that is on the wane since 2011… whilst it wont fade away much of the variety will be lost… its a class 5 and above railway now…, and the pool of locos is shrinking, even LSL whilst collecting a big fleet are concentrated on a select few locos.. anyone seriously expecting 35022 anytime soon, or even 35027 for that matter ?

Preserved railways are generally tending towards smaller locos and smaller fleets.

Very few volunteer steam groups are on the mainline, even less are aiming toward it.

Modern image has more potential, its easier to fit on the mainline, its easier to fit on preserved lines, at least for the next few decades until spares run down. Whilst long term cost is higher, short term is cheaper, but its no where as big as mainline steam is.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On holiday back in July, three of us had a day out taking photos of diesels and electrics on Carlisle station. Age range 50-ish to 70+, all male.

We didn't encounter anybody younger or female, doing the same.

By comparison, the superbly-run, steam operated Ravenglass & Eskdale (where we were staying) had plenty of families with kids in evidence among a clientele that seemed very healthily balanced among all ages and included all-female groups.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

On holiday back in July, three of us had a day out taking photos of diesels and electrics on Carlisle station.

Age range 50-ish to 70+, all male. We didn't encounter anybody younger or female, doing the same.

By comparison, the superbly-run, steam operated Ravenglass & Eskdale (where we were staying) had plenty of families with kids in evidence among a clientele that seemed very healthily balanced among all age groups.

John

Ive seen plenty of females in the younger age groups taking interest in the hobby.

photography of railways is quite appealing, in part due to the variety of liveries out there. A good number of female drivers etc, including steam drivers.

As an oldie chances are your expectations and observations are out of alignment… try media like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc.. and dont bother looking for a platform 5 or a notebook.. Also dont go expecting a 1960’s huge crowd.. its smaller hobby, but its a larger % breakdown in that smaller group.

I see it as my own daughter is mad on trains and weve been all over.. shes looking for those role models. Shes a good turn on a camera too… if your looking at Network Rails Twitter feed, Facebook page and seeing the greenery of Arten Gill.. thats because its her photograph, and she won the contest for their header page last month… age 11.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Ive seen plenty of females in the younger age groups taking interest in the hobby.

photography of railways is quite appealing, in part due to the variety of liveries out there. A good number of female drivers etc, including steam drivers.

As an oldie chances are your expectations and observations are out of alignment… try media like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc.. and dont bother looking for a platform 5 or a notebook.. Also dont go expecting a 1960’s huge crowd.. its smaller hobby, but its a larger % breakdown in that smaller group.

I see it as my own daughter is mad on trains and weve been all over.. shes looking for those role models. Shes a good turn on a camera too… if your looking at Network Rails Twitter feed, Facebook page and seeing the greenery of Arten Gill.. thats because its her photograph, and she won the contest for their header page last month… age 11.

I don't dispute any of that, but none of it was in evidence at Carlisle that day. Mind you, the weather was somewhat "dreich" and even we packed it in about 1500....

I was going by the number of cameras (and phones/tablets apparently in use as such), which was us and about half a dozen solo males of similar age.

John

2021.07_Rail_209er2.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Pleased my want list from them isn't very long then....

Looks like it puts forty quid or so (all told) on the few coaches I currently have on pre-order and which are due in the next few weeks.

I was half-tempted to cancel one to compensate, but there's nothing else I want/need to spend it on at present.  :)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Looks like it puts forty quid or so (all told) on the few coaches I currently have on pre-order and which are due in the next few weeks.

I was half-tempted to cancel one to compensate, but there's nothing else I want/need to spend it on at present.  :)

John

Yeah, it's the LNER 800s that will have biggest impact on me, having gone up about £160 between them in the last 7 months. But I'd struggle to justify more at that amount, if I didn't deem them essential stock for my layout they'd have been cancelled last time like a load of stuff that was getting too dear for "nice to have". I will still get them but I don't think I'll be doing a lot of pre ordering next week if the prices they tell us aren't worth the "paper" they are written on.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

As I am a keen enthusiast of all things Southern, I await with interest the forthcoming Hornby announcement in the hope that they will produce Night Ferry wagon lits sleepers and associated vans. Given that these would be limited in their area of operation, I would be interested  to know if there is any desire amongst other members in seeing these vehicles being produced.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'm still supprised that they haven't tried to do more present-day trainsets or cheap DMUs. When I went to London as a child* the train journey there was always part of the excitement. I wanted an FGW HST like the ones that I'd travelled on, but since they were as rare as hen's teeth (and hence only available second hand, for a high price) that was never going to happen. I know that they've subsequently released a GWR set, and I would surely have have been delighted by this. The Turbos we would pass as we got near to London were also a familiar site. Had Hornby made a Railroad - level model I'm quite certain that I would have ended up with one, as it would have been cheaper than the Bachmann 166 I actually have. I believe that Hornby do have tooling for the 153, 155, and 156, which could be used more effectively (I specifically remember the 153 from a trip to Looe, and as being the first train to arrive at a packed Weston Super Mare, to a round of sarcastic applause). If Hornby had produced a good range of widespread trains in current liveries I imagine they would have prised a few more pennies out of my family at that time, and I can't help but think that children of that age will want models of the things they recognise. Isn't why HSTs, Thomas, Olton Hall, Flying Scotsman and the A4s (especially Mallard) sell - every child recognises them and wants their own small version? Going forward, that will be the Hitachi units, but the current model is far beyond trainset prices. Unless they decide that the Javelin in fictional liveries is 'good enough', I don't see how they can appeal to that market successfully in the future without producing a RailRoad version of the Hitachi 80x, which will soon be omnipresent.

*Really I'm talking about late 2000s-early 2010s, when I was about 5-10 years old

EDIT to add that what I actually expect to see is Great Bear or Turbomotive or another LNER pacific (if there's one left), along with some new liveries on a diesel or two, some of the stuff which was teased in the TV programme (HSTs, smoke generators, 73TTS, maybe a Railways 59), and new liveries for the 0-4-0s (which based upon the recent 'adjustments' will cost over £50). I will still refuse to pay more than £10 on ebay for those things, and I hope that others will see sense and do the same.

Edited by DK123GWR
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

I'm still supprised that they haven't tried to do more present-day trainsets or cheap DMUs. When I went to London as a child* the train journey there was always part of the excitement. I wanted an FGW HST like the ones that I'd travelled on, but since they were as rare as hen's teeth (and hence only available second hand, for a high price) that was never going to happen. I know that they've subsequently released a GWR set, and I would surely have have been delighted by this. The Turbos we would pass as we got near to London were also a familiar site. Had Hornby made a Railroad - level model I'm quite certain that I would have ended up with one, as it would have been cheaper than the Bachmann 166 I actually have. I believe that Hornby do have tooling for the 153, 155, and 156, which could be used more effectively (I specifically remember the 153 from a trip to Looe, and as being the first train to arrive at a packed Weston Super Mare, to a round of sarcastic applause). If Hornby had produced a good range of widespread trains in current liveries I imagine they would have prised a few more pennies out of my family at that time, and I can't help but think that children of that age will want models of the things they recognise. Isn't why HSTs, Thomas, Olton Hall, Flying Scotsman and the A4s (especially Mallard) sell - every child recognises them and wants their own small version? Going forward, that will be the Hitachi units, but the current model is far beyond trainset prices. Unless they decide that the Javelin in fictional liveries is 'good enough', I don't see how they can appeal to that market successfully in the future without producing a RailRoad version of the Hitachi 80x, which will soon be omnipresent.

*Really I'm talking about late 2000s-early 2010s, when I was about 5-10 years old

TBH, it's been clear for several years that "train set" and anything "topical" are becoming ever further divorced, and I can't see that changing any time soon. Escalating costs of new tooling probably means it never will.

New output of the industry (not just Hornby) is clearly priced with the unmortgaged, kids-left-home-so-space-available-for-a-hobby customer on either side of retirement age as the target audience.

Anybody outside that profile will have to trade-off the cost against other things they'd like to be doing, or stick with what is obtainable as Railroad, which will always lag by a decade or two.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know if the catalogue will be available as in previous years ?  I know Key publishing did it and it quite often appeared at the same time as the Hornby Mag . You got a discount buying both . Not bothered about that but trying to figure out if it will be available so I can don my Hazmat suit and head to Tescos . I know the Hornby Mag is delayed so as to be able to cover the 2022 launch 

• Like 2

The discussion on the future direction/interests of the hobby always degenerates into a subjective, personal observations debate, and yes, I can be as guilty as anyone of this.  I could say my niece, whose first train set was steam and who loves the Fairbourne and Talyllyn railways when she comes to visit, means she is more likely to want to model them in the future (she does seem keen on modelling and craft stuff even at age 9).  You do see loads of families on heritage railways and the kids are always excited.  But I'd be wrong to make a conclusion from that.  My niece is just as interested in my layout and will no doubt be wanting to have a go next time she comes over, assuming I'm not rebuilding it again.  Wednesford will NOT have any steam on it.  The attraction of heritage railways to children is just that - they are a railway theme park and kids love days out.  Heritage railways go to great lengths to put on "added value" events, extras and the like specifically to entertain, engage and hopefully relive the family of some money.  Does that mean the child who is excited by the loco is excited because they are a budding enthusiast, or excited because the train looks like something in one of the "Thomas" videos?  I could also point out that I know several - about 8 or so - active modellers, and I'm the only one planning a pre-nationalisation layout (the next project after "Wednesford") and the rest are all firmly diesel or transition era with steam as a support cast.  And before anyone screams "self selecting cohort" I can assure you I do not pick my friends on the basis of whether they are a Kettleista or not, or hand knit their own Walschaert's valve gear.  However, that observation is just as meaningless as any other.  

I prefer to look at trends, something town planners have to be good at (more so as policy wonks than development controllers) and look for signs that, at least circumstantially, suggest a movement one way or another.  Firstly, it's interesting to note that the majority of new startups, who have in many cases taken far bigger financial risks with their own personal finances, have started with non-steam projects.  Some have moved onto steam models, but only after a few years of releasing non-steam outline.  If you are risking your home and family livelihood on a new business venture, would you invest in non-steam if as some believe steam is a golden egg that will keep on hatching new golden egg layers?

Secondly, we have Hornby's biggest competitor, Bachmann.  A few years back, they were also in a sticky financial position and were effectively on final warning from their owner to start making money or else - which was widely reported at the time and led to the price rises which have become the stuff of debate.  Despite that, Bachmann continued to invest in non-steam, including such sales death as third rail EMUs and Electric locos.  This year they launched a showcase project Class 47, which has had £1million spent on it, and has been five years in the development - taking us right back to when they were on the ropes financially.  Whilst they continue to invest in steam models, if steam was the golden modelling genre some have been suggesting I think that Kader would have questioned spending £1m on a model which already has competing models out there, and told them to match Hornby in the pretty green tea urn market.

Thirdly, we have Heljan.  Their first forays into the UK OO scale market were subject to some criticism, and being mainly non-steam, would have justifiably have made them think twice about continuing in OO non-steam, and move onto steam outline, and O gauge where they were carving out a new market.  Yet they've come back to the OO scale non-steam market in a big way, going toe to toe with Bachmann and also re-igniting the electric loco market with Class 86 v2.0.  To come back into a market where you have had a bruising response within the past few years suggests again that there must be a trend towards greater sales opportunities in non-steam than some would think.

Yet Hornby seem to be very lacklustre in the non steam market, and could be regarded as an outlier.

Interest in steam will never die off, of course not, and we continue to see new markets emerging, like RTR 009 and early Victorian railways, and it could be that Hornby have developed the reputation as the "pro-Steam model company" in a way that means their competitors don't feel the need to go there.  But.  When you see new companies betting their houses on being able to sell non-steam without incurring the wrath of Hornby, and other competitors having a more balanced, or even majority non-steam investment programme, you can't help but think this is significant, that hard nosed business has spotted a market segment that will sustain them longer term.

Time will tell.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

The discussion on the future direction/interests of the hobby always degenerates into a subjective, personal observations debate, and yes, I can be as guilty as anyone of this.  I could say my niece, whose first train set was steam and who loves the Fairbourne and Talyllyn railways when she comes to visit, means she is more likely to want to model them in the future (she does seem keen on modelling and craft stuff even at age 9).  You do see loads of families on heritage railways and the kids are always excited.  But I'd be wrong to make a conclusion from that.  My niece is just as interested in my layout and will no doubt be wanting to have a go next time she comes over, assuming I'm not rebuilding it again.  Wednesford will NOT have any steam on it.  The attraction of heritage railways to children is just that - they are a railway theme park and kids love days out.  Heritage railways go to great lengths to put on "added value" events, extras and the like specifically to entertain, engage and hopefully relive the family of some money.  Does that mean the child who is excited by the loco is excited because they are a budding enthusiast, or excited because the train looks like something in one of the "Thomas" videos?  I could also point out that I know several - about 8 or so - active modellers, and I'm the only one planning a pre-nationalisation layout (the next project after "Wednesford") and the rest are all firmly diesel or transition era with steam as a support cast.  And before anyone screams "self selecting cohort" I can assure you I do not pick my friends on the basis of whether they are a Kettleista or not, or hand knit their own Walschaert's valve gear.  However, that observation is just as meaningless as any other.  

I prefer to look at trends, something town planners have to be good at (more so as policy wonks than development controllers) and look for signs that, at least circumstantially, suggest a movement one way or another.  Firstly, it's interesting to note that the majority of new startups, who have in many cases taken far bigger financial risks with their own personal finances, have started with non-steam projects.  Some have moved onto steam models, but only after a few years of releasing non-steam outline.  If you are risking your home and family livelihood on a new business venture, would you invest in non-steam if as some believe steam is a golden egg that will keep on hatching new golden egg layers?

Secondly, we have Hornby's biggest competitor, Bachmann.  A few years back, they were also in a sticky financial position and were effectively on final warning from their owner to start making money or else - which was widely reported at the time and led to the price rises which have become the stuff of debate.  Despite that, Bachmann continued to invest in non-steam, including such sales death as third rail EMUs and Electric locos.  This year they launched a showcase project Class 47, which has had £1million spent on it, and has been five years in the development - taking us right back to when they were on the ropes financially.  Whilst they continue to invest in steam models, if steam was the golden modelling genre some have been suggesting I think that Kader would have questioned spending £1m on a model which already has competing models out there, and told them to match Hornby in the pretty green tea urn market.

Thirdly, we have Heljan.  Their first forays into the UK OO scale market were subject to some criticism, and being mainly non-steam, would have justifiably have made them think twice about continuing in OO non-steam, and move onto steam outline, and O gauge where they were carving out a new market.  Yet they've come back to the OO scale non-steam market in a big way, going toe to toe with Bachmann and also re-igniting the electric loco market with Class 86 v2.0.  To come back into a market where you have had a bruising response within the past few years suggests again that there must be a trend towards greater sales opportunities in non-steam than some would think.

Yet Hornby seem to be very lacklustre in the non steam market, and could be regarded as an outlier.

Interest in steam will never die off, of course not, and we continue to see new markets emerging, like RTR 009 and early Victorian railways, and it could be that Hornby have developed the reputation as the "pro-Steam model company" in a way that means their competitors don't feel the need to go there.  But.  When you see new companies betting their houses on being able to sell non-steam without incurring the wrath of Hornby, and other competitors having a more balanced, or even majority non-steam investment programme, you can't help but think this is significant, that hard nosed business has spotted a market segment that will sustain them longer term.

Time will tell.

Wow, it's great you have access to all the financials and business development meetings. Especially the investment ROI KPIs, margins, sales volumes, marketing costs, fixed costs, CapEx and write downs.  Oh and Forex variables.......

Edited by miles73128
update

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Firstly, it's interesting to note that the majority of new startups, who have in many cases taken far bigger financial risks with their own personal finances, have started with non-steam projects.

Be aware of external factors that influence things - in this case a steam loco is much more expensive to tool than a diesel.

So as a startup going with the option that allows you to spread your finances further across more projects (to reduce risk) can influence where you spend your money.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2022 at 09:04, Dunsignalling said:

Perhaps inevitable because Hornby is structurally more complex and consequently less agile than more specialised newcomers who can concentrate their efforts on one or two projects at a time. Hornby has to keep "everything else" ticking over at the same time and their "everything else" is a pretty big operation.  Short of breaking it up, I can't see that changing quickly.

Is it true though?

Accurascale, in a short number of years, has announced 4 locos,  Siphon G, Mk2b, the ambitious Mk5 project, and 16 goods wagons - with another 20 items to be announced - and you can bet they are already working on projects beyond those 20.

That doesn't seem like concentrating on one or two projects at a time.

It seems people (and Hornby and maybe Bachmann) are obsessed with small operations like Cavalex and retailers doing their own models and ignoring the bigger (threat to Hornby / benefit to us hobbyists) of Accurascale and now Rapido (5 plus Titfield's assorted models announced in OO, with much more already in their pipeline).

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Is it true though?

Accurascale, in a short number of years, has announced 4 locos,  Siphon G, Mk2b, the ambitious Mk5 project, and 16 goods wagons - with another 20 items to be announced - and you can bet they are already working on projects beyond those 20.

It seems people (and Hornby and maybe Bachmann) are obsessed with small operations like Cavalex and retailers doing their own models and ignoring the bigger (threat to Hornby / benefit to us hobbyists) of Accurascale and now Rapido (5 plus Titfield's assorted models announced in OO, with much more already in their pipeline).

But much of the development process is disjointed these days because different parts of it take place on distantly separated continents. Thus, no project will be continuous from beginning to end.

I suspect that most of the effort is directed at a few items most of the time, with a switch to others whilst waiting for EPs, livery samples or whatever to come back for assessment. So yes, one or two at a time, but not the same one or two all the time....

The same applies to Hornby, of course, but they have a huge existing catalogue to maintain as well, and I'd guess that has to be dealt with in specific factories to prevent it interfering with new product development (and vice versa).

I somehow think that, now the various genies are well-and-truly out of the bottle, the long-established leaders will have to learn to coexist with them and we won't see much more aggression. There are just too many to fight off all of them now, without dangerously splitting their own efforts, I think. 

Whether, and how soon there is any rapprochement on the Bachmann/Hatton's and Hornby/Rails fronts remains to be seen, but excluding (or reducing supplies to) the two biggest retailers will only drive them more into the arms of the new boys and further down the road of having models produced exclusively for themselves.     

The next three or four years are going to be very interesting to we bystanders, I think and afterwards, the OO r-t-r scene will have changed in ways we may not yet anticipate.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Is it true though?

to me the bigger threat is the market bursting.

I counted 67 new rtr locos announced or due or delivered in 2020/21/22. Even Lima wasn't that ambitious.

39 diesel/electric, 28 steam…

No wonder Chinas dozen +/- OO gauge factories are putting up the prices, they have never had it better…

if one was to buy 1 of each at an average price of £200 each… thats £13,400 on locos alone, before stock and excludes any re-releases, you’d need a gross income of £20k just to pay for them… 

thats before 2022’s new announcements, plus inflation etc.

Europe as a continent isn't tooling up at that scale.

The list…

39 …modern

02,pwm, 18, 20, 24, 24/1 (x2), 25 (x3), 37,43,45,47(x2),48,55,56, 59,69,80,86,89,91,92,93

104,142,Bep, Hap,apt, 4DD, 

DHP1, 18000, Fell, Ruston 48DS, Ruston 88DS, GW Railmotor, NE Railcar, 

28 Steam..

15xx,16xx,41xx(x2), 63xx, 78xx (x2)

E1, D,Leader

MR 2P, Precedent, Caley, Princess, 

A2/1, A3, P2, J27,  W1, G5

78xxx,9f, GT3

Kerr Stuart, Hudswell Clarke, Rocket, Lion (x2)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The list…

39 …modern

02,pwm, 18, 20, 24, 24/1 (x2), 25 (x3), 37,43,45,47(x2),48,55,56, 59,69,80,86,89,91,92,93

104,142,Bep, Hap,apt, 4DD, 

DHP1, 18000, Fell, Ruston 48DS, Ruston 88DS, GW Railmotor, NE Railcar, 

28 Steam..

15xx,16xx,41xx(x2), 63xx, 78xx (x2)

E1, D,Leader

MR 2P, Precedent, Caley, Princess, 

A2/1, A3, P2, J27,  W1, G5

78xxx,9f, GT3

Kerr Stuart, Hudswell Clarke, Rocket, Lion (x2)

I'm pretty sure that GT3 was not a steam loco, even if it does look like one.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Legend said:

Anyone know if the catalogue will be available as in previous years ?  I know Key publishing did it and it quite often appeared at the same time as the Hornby Mag . You got a discount buying both . Not bothered about that but trying to figure out if it will be available so I can don my Hazmat suit and head to Tescos . I know the Hornby Mag is delayed so as to be able to cover the 2022 launch 

The only involvement from Key Publishing was they had a deal of the catalogue available with their magazine. Its always been available as a separate item, and orderable from the various model shops, or the Hornby website.

The one year Hornby didnt produce a catalogue (under the previous management who said it was an outdated means of communication) the backlash was so huge, they had to produce a special in-year edition to keep the collectors happy. I think that was 2016??

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, JohnR said:

The only involvement from Key Publishing was they had a deal of the catalogue available with their magazine. Its always been available as a separate item, and orderable from the various model shops, or the Hornby website.

The one year Hornby didnt produce a catalogue (under the previous management who said it was an outdated means of communication) the backlash was so huge, they had to produce a special in-year edition to keep the collectors happy. I think that was 2016??

Thing is, I don't care for collecting them but I do like them to look through when making sure what to order! It's just a bit nicer than a website/whatever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

A “Handbook” was published by, if I remember correctly, Hornby Magazine.

This was, in theory, the “replacement” for the annual catalogue, which had then run uninterrupted since the first retail catalogue, 195? (I can’t remember the exact year, 1955?).

The outcry led to the introduction of a small, A5 landscape, catalogue, similar to others produced for other Hornby brands.

There are at least two versions of this. One with no price printed, and another with a price printed, again from my dodgy memory!

2017, until now, normal service resumed…

• Like 3

1. A set of LNWR coaches, including a restaurant car. In LNWR and LMS liveries. 

2. The two LNWR Royal Saloons.

3. A Claughton in LNWR and LMS guises. Plus a fantasy BR version with the unused number that was allocated. (Hornby have form for this creative fantasy work).

Okay - I can find no evidence that the Royal train was ever pulled by a Claughton, but is it known that it never was?
Alternatively, a parallel boiler Royal Scot - but that rather defeats the LNWR livery of the coaches. 

I've seen a lot of posts for LNER's The Coronation set. That would be great - and I think it is likely in the future - but I'm not sure this is the right year for it (i.e. it's the wrong coronation/wrong Elizabeth!). The Royal train above is a more respectful fit, I think. Plus, wouldn't the LNER Silver Jubilee be a more likely Hornby follow-up to the LMS Coronation Scot, being a totally different colour? (Also, lots of options for those short on cash or space for a full train: 3, 4, 5 & 7 coach purchase versions of the original full 7-coach set.) But an odd release for a platinum jubilee year (and the wrong head-of-state). So no, my guess is the Royal Saloons...

Cheers, Tim.

Edited by t.s.meese
to add my name.
  • Agree 1