Torlan Quay

Antony Farrell

This is my proposed branch line terminus which will fit into a larger layout. The minimum radius is 2ft. Could people let me know what they think. I have just started building the boards, a slow progress as timber is hard to get at the moment. The quaysides can be extended both in width and depth (I have some ship models to fit in here)1148029067_TorlanQuaystation.jpg.7aabe72836be702df17f584c5979d940.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good.  Nice long run round for nice long excursion trains.   I think I would angle the platform across the baseboard starting 6" of so higher up in the middle.  It would allow a siding alongside the whole length of the lower quay  and a straight run in to the main platform.  The upper platform road is needed as a headshunt for the two upper left sidings which leaves nowhere to stable the branch passenger when the goods is shunting.  I don't like space beyond the buffer stop  Lymington Pier is a good prototype.  If its anything but SR the turntable looks too big but SR used monster turntables at branch termini.

Anyway looks good. I would enjoy operating it. 

Here is a revised version. I cannot really rotate the station as it will then impact on clearances to the rest of the layout. I wanted a smaller turntable than the one shown, a 50 - 60ft one would work best. Assuming that I have got the arrangement working it should now be possible to shunt the upper left hand siding without impacting the upper platform road. The plan shows bits of adjacent boards. This station will come of a roundy-roundy section. Clearances will be subject to alteration to get everything to fit.

Torlan Quaystation2.jpg

• RMweb Gold
On 29/12/2021 at 14:06, Bittern said:

Quays on both sides seem unusual for a country BLT, especially with more land beyond the buffers, that's more the sort of thing you'd find in a large docks complex or urban port, though I'm sure there must be  precedents somewhere.

The smaller quay could be a canal quay. Which side are you viewing the station from?  From the area at the top of your plan I guess. If so you might well be better off with some taller buildings to act as a back scene.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Kyle of Lochalsh?

image.png.b1e7f632b1252963bad4145d90a84485.png

There’s plenty of stations like that, it was the combination of that with countryside beyond the buffer stops, as if it were built on an isthmus, or a river were running parallel to the sea. Even land beyond the buffers is not all that unusual, but it tends to be urban 

The best precedent I can think of is Porthmadog (FfR) before the area beyond the station was fully developed, when there were sheep on the undeveloped area, but a bell is ringing faintly  in the back of my mind, possibly from Ireland.

an interesting piece of advice I’ve seen for designing plausible scenery is to sketch some distance beyond the edge of the layout, extending roads, rivers, hills, etc. to make sure they connect up reasonably. 

8 hours ago, Bittern said:

The best precedent I can think of is Porthmadog (FfR) before the area beyond the station was fully developed, when there were sheep on the undeveloped area

Is that the Slate Wharf(s)?

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.92236&lon=-4.12910&layers=168&b=1&marker=52.927,-4.132

On 30/12/2021 at 14:41, phil_sutters said:

The smaller quay could be a canal quay.

Or a quay on a tidal river? e.g. Steinville, Cornwall.

image.png.f461eb1aefb79918f49f0533909db3dd.png

Padstow is the home of Rick Stein - There is The Sea Food Restaurant (the posh one), the St Petroc's Hotel / Bistro, The Rick Stein Cafe and Stein's Fish and Chips.  There is also the Rick Stein Deli, Padstow Sea Food School, Stein's Patisserie, Stein's Gift Shop and Stein's various  B & B's (fish for breakfast?)......there are also quite a lot of other rather good shopping opportunities there.  In case you venture out of town, he also owns The Cornish Arms Pub in St Merryn.  We tested out the Fish and Chippie (excellent) and the Pub - equally excellent.

http://sprigs-on-tour.blogspot.com/2011/10/padstow-or-is-it-rick-steinville.html

Some interesting thoughts here. I have just started building the baseboards for the branch line but there is a distinct lack of timber currently available so only two and a half board done so far. The branch comes off of a double track roundy roundy mainline with a large through station on part of it. This would also be the junction where trains for the branch would deviate Thanmyr Junction.  The diagram shows where the branch is supposed to fit in. Though initially it will run to a fiddle yard. The inclines marked on the plan are tentative and I may not include them. They are for scenic purposes in any case rather than for clearance of tracks above each other.

layout.jpg

Edited by Antony Farrell
Spelling