Ratio Midland/LMS Coach Kits

Darius43

• RMweb Gold

Obtained from the Bay of e to build over the Christmas break.

First off a clerestory roof 3rd brake.

D4437792-8230-4086-BC7C-E195B68F3844.jpeg.4a51feed61e8f951e28e723963af1eef.jpeg

36D7CD93-070A-4A07-AE33-6082784CCB53.jpeg.0cf0240b5029dcb4c8697d9605151128.jpeg

3774A960-D754-4CAB-9537-F24F8C2C4796.jpeg.4ae463e6bf77bbc95203cd8ec00f2c26.jpeg

DB18F032-0F03-455C-B1EB-E47285C1BD9C.jpeg.b387d1f0429b6d271158f2189a7e5640.jpeg

5E5A731A-613C-4C0A-9DFE-6916D3EACAFA.jpeg.4d7d11433b573bd002f51512fa737da8.jpeg

The coach body and chassis are separate assemblies and will be screw fixed together using shelf ends in the coach body - like I did with the Ian Kirk LNER coach kits that I built a few years ago.

Still need to add the roof vents and lamp holders, bogie step boards and interior compartments.

I substituted Hornby metal wheels for the Ratio plastic ones with brass bearings in the bogie sides.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 13

These are very nice kits.  If you want to add extra detail, like the alarm gear, roof plumbing and other things, you should seek out Stephen Williams book on the subject:

https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/ISBN/1874103127.php

Another thing I would suggest is to be very careful with the bogies.  My experience has been that they are extremely fragile.  My approach was to use an etched brass core such as MJT from Dart, then glue the details on.  Also better if bogie steps, if applicable, are brass and not plastic.

P1010206.JPG.545cd1ab5d4f5befc156db84ed7e2d0a.JPG

Lining is HMRS LMS yellow/black transfers.  I am useless with a lining pen.  Note the piping on the roof.

P1010207.JPG.fcba0c04c2f7e6a603a3524a8308119c.JPG

You can just make out the alarm gear on the end.  Also note the dummy coupling made from wire.

John

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Thanks brossard.  I read your RMWeb post earlier when researching these kits.

Book duly ordered.

Cheers

Darius

Well you are doing better than me, I can't find the thread.  :ireful:  I like to think of kits as the basis for building an actual model.  Iain Rice was a strong influence to me.

John

• Like 2

I had the same issues with fragile bogies - I ended up layering/laminating with some plasticard where it couldn't be seen to make them more rigid, and included a couple of extra stretchers too. Can't see the reinforcement when coupled up and running normally, so was happy with the trade-off. Was likely my fault the first time for being thick fingered (snapped one), but after that I proactively reinforced as I built.

Good luck - they look great!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So far I have been building the “yellow box” Ratio kits.  The plastic used in these kits doesn’t respond to liquid polystyrene - no noticeable bonding effect - so I have been using cyano glue .  The next coach is a more recent Peco/Parkside version so I wonder if the “new” plastic will be more amenable.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

So far I have been building the “yellow box” Ratio kits.  The plastic used in these kits doesn’t respond to liquid polystyrene - no noticeable bonding effect - so I have been using cyano glue .  The next coach is a more recent Peco/Parkside version so I wonder if the “new” plastic will be more amenable.

Cheers

Darius

It certainly responds to solvents like PlasticWeld.

One comment - it may be easier and neater to paiont the sides in the flat before assemble.

Also - yes, the Ratio bogies are fragile. A particular vice is sheering of the plastic pin that they pivot on. I have two running on a  bodge involving some brass rod inset into the bogie pivot, and fitting into a hole drilled into the remains of the pin ion the bolster. The bogie is loose/detachable , but the vehicles run on the layoiut, and the brass peg is an adequete pivot

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Darius, I have found that when using Crimson Lake, the undercoat is important because CR is translucent.  I use red oxide primer which would be similar to what LMS called Lake.

A bit of trivia is that as an austerity measure, NPCS vehicles built during the war were just painted Lake.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Coach body basic painting completed.  I used white primer to keep the CR “bright” as grey primer tends to dull down red paint finishes.  I also wanted white painted roofs so the primer helped in that respect.  Two coats of CR airbrushed on.

4CBACDEC-010D-4AF2-9C27-C7CAE6BC84ED.jpeg.2c96fba18e8851431e1d412c4133c213.jpeg

90FFADA6-561E-44C0-A8BA-8AA5F073F060.jpeg.c35542c93c7618a2b735abc726f98fa1.jpeg

C425339D-6D02-447A-AF18-0912FF2C377C.jpeg.2a5ed0b8ed52470b0bedb948a9e8967e.jpeg

9CDD6EB6-A1A1-4B41-8D58-D3EEBCE32E2F.jpeg.b9969dae94f5e00139899ac57d123252.jpeg

E2B8DE21-69EE-40C0-9097-CC500BEB9AFF.jpeg.edbf3cb3e6962c2bf9d5ea75bac3e6ec.jpeg

To make masking the roofs easier I left off the vents and lamp holders.  These will be pre-painted and installed next.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Curious as to the interior layout of these coaches.  The Ratio box labels state that they are “non-corridor” but there is a central lav. between the compartments so how was this accessed if there was no corridor?

It would make sense if there were corridors, staggered on each side of the coach to facilitate lav. access.  Was this the case?

Granted there are no corridor connectors.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

Access was from the compartment either side for each of the two lavatories only. I recall travelling to school on the GC from Rothley in the late 1950s in a similar, more modern non-corridor coach and thinking "weird"....

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Access was from the compartment either side for each of the two lavatories only. I recall travelling to school on the GC from Rothley in the late 1950s in a similar, more modern non-corridor coach and thinking "weird"....

That practice was very common, so passengers had to plan ahead.

I've seen plans of partition layouts where in composites, only first class passengers get the facilities (indeed the Ratio composite clerestory, is a model of this pattern), or else it's the dividing line between 1st and 3rd, where one of each type of compartment get access to the toilets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Curious as to the interior layout of these coaches.  The Ratio box labels state that they are “non-corridor” but there is a central lav. between the compartments so how was this accessed if there was no corridor?

It would make sense if there were corridors, staggered on each side of the coach to facilitate lav. access.  Was this the case?

Granted there are no corridor connectors.

Cheers

Darius

Some coaching stock by companies used the staggered corridor arrangement, but not for long until full corridors became standard.

These coaches did not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Some coaching stock by companies used the staggered corridor arrangement, but not for long until full corridors became standard.

These coaches did not.

The problem is that corridors are wasted space, so less seats. With more trains having corridors, it meant that trains were heavier to provide the same number of seats. This led to needing bigger locos to haul the trains.

This meant that the days of Singles were effectively over and most companies (not the Midland!) went to the 4-6-0 type or even 4-6-2s, when services needed for marketing reasons, to be speeded up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

These coaches did not.

They were still building non gangwayed lavatory stock into the 1950s and some were still in use up until 1977. Beloved of heritage railways. KWVR. Llangollen, North Norfolk and others have full sets of them.

https://kwvr.co.uk/locos/british-railways-mark-1-non-corridor-coaches/

With the MR type they had a seat missing in the corner and that was where the door was. Best idea is to look at the interior layout of an Airfix/Dapol LMS Suburban Lavatory coach as they were derived from these.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.  I’ve seen some coach interior plans where the door is in the centre of the compartment wall (with seats either side).  The dividing wall between the two toilets is on the diagonal.

Cheers

Darius

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Interesting.  I’ve seen some coach interior plans where the door is in the centre of the compartment wall (with seats either side).  The dividing wall between the two toilets is on the diagonal.

Cheers

Darius

Could well be. I'll have a look later if no one else gets there first. Thankfully the MR carriage books are within easy reach.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, k22009 said:

Lining looks tidy, which brand have you used?

I have a collection of Modelmaster, Fox Transfers, Railtec and HMRS lining sheets (including leftover offcuts).

Those used here were Fox Transfers, I think.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1