Dapol Class 08 burn out!

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure if this is in the right place, but hopefully mods will correct my mistake.

A Dapol class 08 Diesel Shunter that I have has a serious fault?  It will not run due to burnt out Inductors on the PCB.............Not really into electrics, fantastic at soldering, but also colour blind!!!!  You work out the size of the inductors by checking the colour of the bands on the Inductor............as I said earlier...........I am colour Blind and doesnt help at all.  Can one of you electricians tell me what part I am looking to buy and where from I would be most grateful.  Also what would be helpful is the possible cause of the fault?  I bought the Class 08 sometime ago knowing it was a none runner and was hoping it was a bad solder joint or broken wire, etc, etc  I have tested it and it runs with wires direct to motor............I do have a replacement part to replace it with(New PCB cost £30 from DCC and was delivered within 24 hours - very impressed)but I would like to see if I can repair it and keep as a spare.

I enclose a picture of burnt out part - what could be the cause?  A spike or a surge perhaps.   

I do have a rolling road, but not a layout.........at 74 years old to late to build a layout, I just like repairing Model Locos and displaying them........this will be my second Class 08 to go with my Little Locos Class 15, Class 17 Clayton, Class 05 and Dapol Pannier all memories from 84E/2A 21A  in my younger years

IMAG0533.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

9 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

Is that a "N" gauge 08. If it is you are going to need a pair of very steady hands, but yes it is repairable the tik is gett the right resistore of the value as value as the one that is burnt out.

Terry

Dapol don't make a class 08 in N gauge.

Edited by RexAshton
Missing text

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, RexAshton said:

Dapol don't make a class 08 in N gauge.

Indeed not. Unbelievably no-one does. Farish did one but it seems like it wasn't DCC ready. They were going to release one this year (no idea if it was a retool to support DCC) but they seem to have given up on the idea.

No gronks for us it seems :(

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Premium

Agreed spamcan, reads as 1 microhenry. That would suggest it is an rf  interference filter composed of the two inductors and the two adjacent capacitors. 

So the first thing would be to search for a fault after the filter and sort that first. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the replies guys, nice to know so much expertise is available at the touch of a button.  I did forget to mention it was an O gauge loco, but being as I included Dapol in the title I assumed that everyone would realise it was O gauge as they make the only RTR Class 08 even though kits are available.

7 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I'm not familiar with that particular circuit, but those could be inductors not resistors.

7 hours ago, Dave John said:

Agreed spamcan, reads as 1 microhenry. That would suggest it is an rf  interference filter composed of the two inductors and the two adjacent capacitors. 

So the first thing would be to search for a fault after the filter and sort that first. 

Spamcan and Dave John.........thanks for your input, from various threads on here and members mentioning those inductors by name I reckoned they were inductors, although resisters did cross my mind and your input to me confirmed it, however I did think it a simple circuit, but mention of a fault after the filter sounds complicated so I will need more thought into the repair.

5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I'd suggest a post-Christmas call to DCC Supplies. They are Dapol repair agents and may be able to advise. Lovely people to deal with too. 

Once I found the fault  Phil, I contacted DCC for  a replacement board......as mentioned in my intro, it arrived within 24 hours........just had my first glimpse of it and appears a repair may be out of the question as the new board requires me to transfer the cab switch from the old board across to new board - which is not a problem.  See photos of old and new board

208857376_IMAG053612.jpg.c724eed3d04908a19fe56e3fb90ab1ae.jpg

IMAG05381.jpg

• Like 1