N society KSA cubes

• RMweb Gold

Hi Festive greetings ! 

This has taken a long time to complete but I now have  got 15 KSA cubes running. 

N gauge soc kit introduced a "few years back" and having been a Saltley seagull then really a required train.  Obvs 47145 to haul it along with another.. but these are packed away so a green 31- old chassis and it romps with 15 on!  A couple of pics, if I knew how then moving pictures would be better.  

The side on shot shows the myriad of transfers 12 or so per side so 24 per wagon X15 = madness , but now it is done. Bogies are the society /atm ones but fitted with Dapol fixed knuckle couplers 1 short and one med makes for a good gap - train has to run over a bit of 12" rad curve.

Paint is just Halfords red primer and a ford polar grey for chassis - the panel lines on Bernard Taylor`s excellent mastered resin body is a posca grey paint pen which matches the polar grey by chance... a bit "more than lucky" bogies are held on by self tapping screws from Spalding fastenings .

I have to refit one brake wheel and a couple of ferry hooks I have lost- where do they go ! Luckily Ben Ando on the etch works knew of my hamfistedness and has got spares ...

It has helped my day off work go by with the last fixing of body shells to chassis and a chance to clear dust sheets of Templedean and give a spin, Dapol HST testing inner circle.         

KSA N gauge 241221 001.jpg

KSA N gauge 241221 003.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Bernard, festive greetings !!  I am glad you went the extra 26 miles ... 15 wagons is very impressive  and satisfyingly noisy over  rail joints as it rolls around the layout. 

Plenty to keep me going with a load of 10 autoballaster kits to finish off and currently putting in the ratchet tensioner holes and side framing on a 3 Tench wagons also of society parentage.  I need to cut a zillion strips for concrete sleepers a use some finescale track and sleepers on top row.. one wagon will be stanchions for  code 40 rail but need to sort out some sort of strapping to hold down load, needs to be 0.4mm wide.    

Hopefully not into the SABLE situation -  "stock acquired beyond life expectancy ..."

• Thanks 1

I've spent an inordinate time putting together five of these in their later timber carrier conversion guise.  About the same number of decals, at least one of which I'm becoming convinced doesn't actually exist on the sheet like the Emperor's new clothes, I'm just imagining putting it in approximately the right place.  

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Well thanks for the comments , amazingly I put all the transfers on in just two "sittings" doing all of one side of 15 and then going to work!  Just had a big sort out of the storage boxes and scared myself with 4 of the 32 litre folding storage boxes with foam trays filled with part started  projects and can add a couple of the lidded boxes with 3D print bodies. Along with to - please Ben two sets of Cartic 4s  almost finished.   I really need to find an extra year or so to make decent inroads in to this N gauge "Vic berry stack."      

• RMweb Premium

Hi Robert, I’d recommend some of the vinyl lining tape cut down for load straps - Duncan put me onto it and it looks really effective.

Great work on the cubes! Good luck on the Autoballasters…

Simon

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

1391613856_Warleyopenday200222001.jpg.90e564d198420eb44c74a180e7273f1b.jpg97576060_Warleyopenday200222004.jpg.364fd0869215e69629479ce2aaa33cfb.jpg

Two pics , not of best quality, but showing the rake of 15 behind a 66 - ought to be an EWS one really on Warley club Broadwater junction layout.   With med and short Dapol dummy buckeye couplers happily traverse the 15" curves - and for fun propelled round as well.  I was asked if they were for sale which I guess is a good start. 

• Like 4