Triple heading

pH

Were there many (any?) trains triple-headed on British railways - steam or diesel? I’d exclude light engine moves.

The only situation I can remember reading about (and I can’t remember where) was trains of tanks being moved from training areas on the Moray Firth to the south coast of England in preparation for D-day. Those were triple-headed over the Highland mainline with 8Fs. 

Edited by pH

• RMweb Gold

There was a period when iron ore trains from docks to steelworks in South Wales employed triple Class 37s, later displaced by pairs of Class 56.

Light engine workings used to be limited to a maximum of five coupled except where more restricted on specific routes by maximum bridge loadings etc. I'm not sure if that still applies across the board.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Not quite a triple header but on the line to Newquay some passenger services were double headed and had a banker. This was a steam era thing. The 1953 working timetable lists the working load for a Castle or 10xx combined with a 78xx + assistance at the rear to Luxulyan as 450 tons.

Edited by Kris
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't know what's going on here as the caption isn't too informative. 8F 8504 leading LNER J35 9208 and J37 6234 at Dundee on 3 October 1946. The 8F is carry light engine lamps so might have been called out to assist a failure. Photo from Neil Dimmer's page on Nat Pres.

8504 hauls Reid J35 9208 & J37 4634 + freight train into Dundee 3rd October 1946

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Triple headed class 20s on a railtour

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/870502c2.htm

Always thought there should have been some follow up tours to that one. Four to Dore …. Seven to Loch Leven etc

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Another one was the Grand Scottish Railtour back on 25 March 1967.  Details attached taken from Six Bells Railtour site.  The three diesels D5122 / D5127 / D5070 headed us over Drumochter from Aviemore to Perth.  Also on the roster that day was Class 40 [D368] double headed with Class 47 [D1973] and A4 No.9 and Black 5 44997. (Alisdair) 

aviemore.jpg

Screenshot (58).png

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The last seven (new build) 66s were delivered as one train, hauled by an eighth.

Photo from Flickr.

66775 Norton (0x66) 15.02.2016

Edit: sorry, excluding light engine moves, my bad!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Another one was the Grand Scottish Railtour back on 25 March 1967.  Details attached taken from Six Bells Railtour site.  The three diesels D5122 / D5127 / D5070 headed us over Drumochter from Aviemore to Perth.  Also on the roster that day was Class 40 [D368] double headed with Class 47 [D1973] and A4 No.9 and Black 5 44997. (Alisdair) 

aviemore.jpg

Screenshot (58).png

Southbound Inverness trains in the 60s were usually 2x24 with another sometimes being added en-route

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Somewhere in between a light engine move and genuine booking, I was at Eastleigh a few weeks ago when 4 66's came into the yard hauling a long engineering train. 

4 up front on the tripper

Was it this working?

66721 'Harry Beck' in London Underground map livery leads 66751, 66725, 66798 and an RDT on 6O39 Westbury - Eastleigh, seen in the Down Yard before departure

Two top and tail trains had come back into the yard, and all 4 locos had to go to Eastleigh, one for the back working of the tripper, the others for other GB trains. Of the four, only one was powering.

Mendip trains can be seen with three locos up front too, but this tends be to get the locos in position to work onwards trains, not for power, as a solo 59 would do it. The front pair might be multi'd up, but the extras are probably being towed dead.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a booked service, but sometimes seen at Truro in the late 1950's and early 1960's, were a pair of Class 22's hauling a failed/dead Class 41/42/43 westbound. I never saw this formation heading east, presumably because the booked Warship hadn't had time to fail.:)

Double headed Class 22's, presumably replacing a Warship, in both directions, were not uncommon.

Edited by Tankerman
typo
  • Like 2

The incline between Exeter St Davids and Exeter Central had special instructions in the Appendix to the Working Timetable. Passenger trains exceeding 80 wheels required two assisiting engines in the rear. Stone trains from Meldon Quarry required assistance sometimes one assisting engine front, and two more at the rear. At times there were three locos at the front coming up the bank. Also in order to reduce the number of train movements back down the bank to Exeter St Davids the banking locos were attached to the front of down  trains. The Appendix mentions four locos was the maximum permissible number of locos (including train loco) that were permitted to run together, three locos together was a common occurrence,

The weekly Cleethorpes to Sidmouth/Exmouth service was sometimes hauled by three tank locos between Sidmouth Junction and Tipton St Johns where the train divided,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Was it this working?

66721 'Harry Beck' in London Underground map livery leads 66751, 66725, 66798 and an RDT on 6O39 Westbury - Eastleigh

Yes, looks like it. I just happened to be there, I didn't have any knowledge of the working.

Actually thinking about it, i had a feeling it came off the Romsey line and that would make sense now.

Edited by Hal Nail

In the 1970s the Seafield Colliery to Longannet Power Station MGR trains used three Class 20 throughout, two at one end and one at the other. Double manned so all three were powering on the journey and avoided running round and a full brake test.

Brian.

Edited by turbos
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Two top and tail trains had come back into the yard, and all 4 locos had to go to Eastleigh, one for the back working of the tripper, the others for other GB trains. Of the four, only one was powering.

Technically, that's only single heading as the other locos are just dead train load.

21 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Triple headed Warships in South Devon....

Only if all three were working.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Bickershaw Colliery trains were top and tailed by pairs of 20s, as were deliveries of tube stock from Derby.

A long time ago I was on one of the SLOA weekend trips which departed south from Inverness behind a class 40 and a pair of type 2s  All three were needed to get the huge train over the hills to Perth.  Unfortunatly photography was almost impossible as it departed at dusk with many coaches off the platform at Inverness. Somewhere I’ve got a very blurred pic taken from the train.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

Only if all three were working.

Zooming in, it does look like the third one has heat haze from the exhaust. Probably just a blur.   Could they have worked in multiple? 

• RMweb Premium

7 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

The Westerns were not fitted for multiple working.

What about Warships?

I think I've just proved the pedants here are firing on all cyclinders :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6