Best Analogue Controller for Hornby Ringfields (Not Dublo)

proton

Hi Everyone, and Merry Christmas!

I have a range of locos ranging from Hornby Class 25s and DMUs with 3-pole ringfield motors to latest Bachmann, Hornby, and Heljan with very nice 5-poles.  Whilst my MRC Tech 4s provide decent low speed control for the new locos, the control for the old motors is not very good.  Would anyone have direct experience, or a view, on the best analogue controller for older motors?

Thanks in advance.

John

Edited by proton
grammar

Morley give good control on everything from Coreless to Hornby Dublo Ringfields and exceptionally good control when double heading, the hand held add ons are brilliant for one handed operation..  You can't expect an old 1990s 3 pole Hornby or Lima Ringfield to run as smoothly as a Heljan or a 1960s Triang power bogie come to think of it.     Achillies heel of Morley is no 1/2 wave for getting X04s and the like down hill without surging.

• RMweb Premium

I haven’t got one , but doing research to buy one and the Morley is coming across as the controller that might be most suitable for me . I run everything from a Tri-ang  Brush Type 2 , dating from 1965 (my Christmas present that year ) through X04s , Ringfields , Lima , mainline Etc etc through to the latest Coreless .  Morley is the conclusion I’m coming too , but have a look at Oscar Paisleys YouTube channel . He’s currently running 70s Hornby stuff and invested in a new Morley to control them with good results I think 

• RMweb Gold

Not had any problems running anything analogue with Gaugemaster gear, both the portable W I use on my shunting plank and other panel mounted or cased types with other layouts.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

Have to agree with john new, I have never had any problems with a loco (Ringfield, XO3/4 or modern can style) when using a standard Gaugemaster DC controller (or even a Morley!).   GM DC controllers - cased with internal power supply or uncased panel mounting which need a separate power source, usually 16v AC. Or their hand held Model W again needing a 16v AC power supply, their Combi comes with a plug-in mains power supply and all DC controllers come with a lifetime warranty. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...