Around The World In 80 Days ep2 - were the 'Italy' shots in Romania?

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

I've just watched episode 2 and there's quite a bit of action on the railway in 'Italy' (date is said to be 1872).  I'm not very well up on Italian stuff and given it's a big budget production could be anywhere from Portugal to Hungary posing as Italy.  However there's a Romanian production team, and amongst the lengthy credits the train driver actually gets a mention, with a name ending in ~u.  Plenty of CGI at the final destination and over the damaged viaduct but plenty of real life locations as well.

Anyone able to add more detail?

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=21668

This is almost certainly the locomotive in question, it was actually built by Henschel and originally operated for KPEV. I think Fleischmann may have made a HO scale model and that similar locomotives were sold to Russia but I'll have to check!

romania97-1.jpg

Edited by nathan70000
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/01/2022 at 17:27, nathan70000 said:

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=21668

This is almost certainly the locomotive in question, it was actually built by Henschel and originally operated for KPEV. I think Fleischmann may have made a HO scale model and that similar locomotives were sold to Russia but I'll have to check!

The link has incorrect information.

The locomotive is actually CFR 1497 (Henschel 3824 of 1894), which was presented at the museum in Sibiu with the number plates and tender from 1493 (Henschel 3820).  Despite similarities to locomotives built for KPEV, it (they?) was from a batch of twenty locomotives, which were supplied directly to Romania.

I note that the video shows a glimpse of a class 80 diesel that most likely brought the steam loco and rolling stock to Vălenii de Munte.  Although it appears that its paint has been touched up, I would be surprised if the loco has been made steamable.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the railway content of the episode has been discussed on other threads: