Sound for Hornby 08?

deek

Hi All,

I joined RMweb way back in 2011 intending to get back into railway modelling, but financial constraints put somewhat of a delay on this! I have now finally got round to purchasing a dcc controller and intend getting the ball rolling at last!

I had purchased a few bits and pieces back then such as bits of track, point motors, card building kits etc. and some rolling stock. I also bid for an 08 shunter on ebay which was successful.

The 08 is a Hornby Railroad one (which I didn`t realise before bidding) from a set with some freight wagons. Although it is lesser decorated and detailed than the standard Hornby or Bachman units, it is a great little runner and in very good condition. The matter in hand is that being a Railroad model, it has no dcc socket fitted. I would like to fit sound but am conscious of price of some of the sound decoders.

Bearing in mind the limited running time it`s likely to get (as I plan to have many more sound equipped locos over time) I`m thinking, are there any cheaper options for a diesel sound other than the expensive Loksound V5 or Zumo ones I keep seeing listed for the class 08?

Anyone have any past experiences of other generic Diesel sound chips (good or bad!) and any useful tips on fitting to an un-dcc ready loco. If relevant for any decoder advice, my new controller is a Digitrax DCS52 Zephyr Express.

Any advice would be most appreciated as I`m new to all of this!

Many Thanks, Derek.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

Hornby make a TTS decoder for the 08, I’m not sure if they are still available but at around £40 if you can find one it might be a good option 

I don't think they are in the shops now. They do seem to turn up on eBay every couple of weeks however and go for £50-60

Hi Chris,

Just tried Colletts web site but not showing any now.

Still seems to be a current product with Hornby, so I have emailed them to find out likely restock date.

Many thanks for that anyway!

Derek. 

• Like 1

Had a reply from Hornby yesterday saying that this particular decoder had been discontinued. I have pleaded with them to rethink, as talking to a few shop owners they are saying they would like to get back in stock!

Watch this space.......

• RMweb Premium

Derek, I know it’s not the perfect solution but I bought (a few years ago now) at a show a secondhand Hornby 08 with sound, marked as TTS on the box……I paid well under £100 but after a couple of years sitting on the shelf (the 08…not me!) I opened it up to fit stay alive only to discover the early Hornby 08 were fitted with Loksound V4 decoders, probably locked so you cannot reblow them, but it is in fact a very good sound model far better than a couple of other TTS models I have with true Hornby decoders.

Possibly look for one of the early sound 08 from somewhere?

Edited by boxbrownie

21 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Derek, I know it’s not the perfect solution but I bought (a few years ago now) at a show a secondhand Hornby 08 with sound, marked as TTS on the box……I paid well under £100 but after a couple of years sitting on the shelf (the 08…not me!) I opened it up to fit stay alive only to discover the early Hornby 08 were fitted with Loksound V4 decoders, probably locked so you cannot reblow them, but it is in fact a very good sound model far better than a couple of other TTS models I have with true Hornby decoders.

Possibly look for one of the early sound 08 from somewhere?

Is it possible to lock a v4 in this way?

I thought the whole point of the Loksound Select was to lock it: the Select's specs are the same as the v4 but it takes different uploads which cannot be compiled with a Lokprogrammer.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I thought the whole point of the Loksound Select was to lock it: the Select's specs are the same as the v4 but it takes different uploads which cannot be compiled with a Lokprogrammer.

I have no idea, it’s something I read in the forum that some Loksound cannot be reblown, certainly the Loksound in my 08 is physically absolutely identical to all my other V4 Loksound, I assumed it might have a software lock on it being an OEM product.

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If its a select decoder it can only be re-blown with a select file from ESU.

Never seen a v4 that has been totally locked only the sound file which can be over written except for a select as above and to be honest as I've never seen one totally  locked I've not tried to unlock one but if it is locked I'm sure it can be unlocked with a programmer except a select sound file.

Wiggy.

• RMweb Premium

Well whatever it is in the early 08 the sound file is as good as any of the V4/V5 sounds files I have of diesels, it is very “Cronkie”….so in my view no need to be reblown regardless. 

Edited by boxbrownie