Cavalex class 91 and mk4 coaches in N? is it still on the table?

Adamphillip

Well the title says it all, if I remember correctly back when the OO class 91 was a possibility there was talk of an N scale model as well, we know how the OO one went but have had no word on the N scale one.

Edited by Adamphillip
  • Like 1

• Adamphillip changed the title to Cavalex class 91 and mk4 coaches in N? is it still on the table?
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Adam, the 2mm 91 is still very much of interest to us, as is all of our products in N gauge. I model N gauge after all!

However N gauge is a much smaller market than OO so we are choosing a softly softly approach with introducing models to the smaller scale, our PGA hopper being our first, due to hit the shops in the next few months.

How the sales go with that model will give us an idea on how popular our products will be in N moving forward.

Regards

Cav

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

We get quite a lot of emails asking us to produce a 91 in N - I've been pointing people in your direction so I hope they've been getting in touch!

Cheers Mike

(Hopefully not a double post) I know I’ve been asking, well also for a class 90 to round out the n gauge electric locos…. Also have the class 700 on my wish list…. Just in case someone needs some ideas. :D

also my wallet can only take so much punishment.

Edited by Adamphillip

7 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

We get quite a lot of emails asking us to produce a 91 in N - I've been pointing people in your direction so I hope they've been getting in touch!

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike. We have had a couple of people ask us, a lot more asking us to still progress the 4mm one as well. The 2mm version is certainly a project that we would like to progress if the demand is there.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I am still dead keen on a new tooled 91+mk4…. plenty of liveries never done by Farish; East Coast, VTEC, TfW (mk4).

Would really like to see this project formally announced!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2022 at 16:21, Drew-1986 said:

Still very keen to see this project progress. Keeping everything crossed.

Feel that if this project goes ahead, the RevolutioN Class 89 will gain further traction, and vice versa 

Another way at looking at this is it's ludicrous that a Class 89 is even being proposed for a model (one in existence and it hasn't ran for 20 years) when on the other hand you have 50 Class 90's and 31 Class 91's which have ran up and down the length of the UK for 30+ years.

And I say that as someone who would probably buy a Class 89 (but I'd buy about 10 Class 90/91's!)

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, ash39 said:

Another way at looking at this is it's ludicrous that a Class 89 is even being proposed for a model (one in existence and it hasn't ran for 20 years) when on the other hand you have 50 Class 90's and 31 Class 91's which have ran up and down the length of the UK for 30+ years.

And I say that as someone who would probably buy a Class 89 (but I'd buy about 10 Class 90/91's!)

Same, I’d buy way too many class 90s and 91s

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2022 at 20:25, ash39 said:

Why is it ludicrous?  The reality is that there are already thousands of Farish 90s and 91s out there - would I buy multiple new 90s? Of course but a portion of the market will already have been satisfied particularly given the inevitable cost of a new 90. Plus it isn't a stretch of the imagination to believe that a new 90 is coming from Farish!

The justification for doing an 89 is nothing like a 90 (or 91) but it has never been produced RTR and is a pretty iconic design plus we can make non-commercially justified decisions if we want to! If you think that pure commercial decisions are the only factor then a lot of our models would never have been produced!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

Why is it ludicrous?  The reality is that there are already thousands of Farish 90s and 91s out there - would I buy multiple new 90s? Of course but a portion of the market will already have been satisfied particularly given the inevitable cost of a new 90. Plus it isn't a stretch of the imagination to believe that a new 90 is coming from Farish!

The justification for doing an 89 is nothing like a 90 (or 91) but it has never been produced RTR and is a pretty iconic design plus we can make non-commercially justified decisions if we want to! If you think that pure commercial decisions are the only factor then a lot of our models would never have been produced!

I will say, while yes there are farish class 90s and 91s out there, they aren’t easy to obtain, cost a fair bit when they do appear and lack many features that both Cavalex and yourselves would incorporate. I run my layout on DCC and started N gauge after the most recent run of both farish models.
I do hope farish has a 90 in the works as the Bachmann class 90 in OO is an excellent model (I have one even thought I’ve gone on OO hiatus, just like I have an Accurascale class 92 on order and a revolution one for my N gauge layout :P), but back to topic, new mk4s and a class 91 are sorely needed.

13 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

Ludicrous was probably the wrong word to use, but it's frustrating. I can't agree that Farish have satisfied the 90 and 91 market, those models are decades old and look like Brio toys with their painted on lights! I think you've hit the nail on the head - Bachmann doing the 90 in 'OO' has basically killed off any chance of seeing them in N in the next 4-5 years becuase there's a fear Farish could be working on it (and if they are, it will take at least that long to get to market).

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'd still be in the market for a Swallow 91 and matching Mk4s.

The forthcoming Dapol 67 in TfW livery could do with some suitable stock to haul too....

Would the IC225 be a model Kato would consider I wonder?

2 hours ago, Stuart A said:

Would the IC225 be a model Kato would consider I wonder?

No - there has been nothing mentioned since the 800 which looks to me like it was done purely as it was a Hitachi train and not as a precursor to modelling UK trains per se.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

No - there has been nothing mentioned since the 800 which looks to me like it was done purely as it was a Hitachi train and not as a precursor to modelling UK trains per se.

Pity, as I was hoping they would follow it up with the APT-P ;)

• 1 month later...

I'd really like to see an OO 91 back on the cards! I must have pre-ordered and then cancelled the Hornby one several times and having seen them in a shop last week...thank god I finally decided not to buy the Hornby one. What a disappointment for £220! Not even a working pantograph, never mind questionable QC with the liveries. Plus it just feels like something is missing and on inspection, a lot of the ultra detail expected for £220 is missing. Come on Cavalex, turn your beautiful CAD in to a high end 91! 

• Agree 9

• 3 months later...

Now with the Farish class 90 unveiled, the Revolution class 92 and possible 89 it may be time to round out the mk4 hauling locos (90 when 91s weren’t available and the 92s on test during nightstar trials) with the 91 and said mk4s. (Could even make the nightstar coaches and sell them to a North American market)

46 minutes ago, Adamphillip said:

said mk4s. (Could even make the nightstar coaches and sell them to a North American market)

Being the wrong scale would turn a bunch off and it likely wouldn't be that big of a market to start with given that (so far) the VIA Renaissance coaches aren't considered viable as an HO model.

3 hours ago, mdvle said:

Being the wrong scale would turn a bunch off and it likely wouldn't be that big of a market to start with given that (so far) the VIA Renaissance coaches aren't considered viable as an HO model.

This is a topic for them in N scale which is still slightly out but waaay less noticeable 

9 hours ago, Adamphillip said:

This is a topic for them in N scale which is still slightly out but waaay less noticeable 

One of the key noticeable visual features of VIA's Renaissance stock is the size difference - and as a result how they line up with features like the rear headlight of a VIA loco as seen in this photo:

3799108754_4e0558d90e_b.jpg

Once things start lining up with aspects of the paint scheme and physical features then even in N that size difference likely becomes a problem for some people.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...