3 hours ago, Simon Moore said:

What a lovely layout you've made. I really do like small layouts. I think the detail on this is superb. I toyed with the idea of something like this in EM. I think I might still have a bash at some point. 

Will follow with interest.

Thank you Simon. I have considered the idea of EM myself. I see it as the next step to serious modelling. It especially looks good on small layouts where the track is usually right up to the front of the layout. 

Templefield has echoes of an EM layout called Carron Road from the eighties or nineties. I did not knowingly copy and the presentation of mine is very different but the trackplan could be a direct steal!! 

Construction of the signal for Templefield. 

The main parts are made up from tge ratio kit with a scratch built extension of the footboard. 

20160425_211437.jpg.020225a6fea2ce081f0191196e70e9ee.jpg

The route indicator was built from plastikard...

20160425_201428.jpg.13c534584c23afa052bc0e8084f814bd.jpg

The arms and route indicators are operated by .5mm brass wire and L cranks under the baseboard by GEM.

DSC_0100.JPG.288776940c206ce1fafd01fb4bd89bfb.JPG

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have not picked up a modelling tool for several weeks, possibly months. Although winter is associated with modelling I find distractions away from the bench take over. Usually work and family which is to be expected. 

I had grown a bit tired of the layout given I have essentially completed it and as well as distractions mentioned, money is not unlimited (drastic understatement) and the things I want to do seem a bit out of reach or hard to justify, again given other priorities. 

So an invite to the Ely show this year has given me a bit of a target. I have turned the layout so the viewing side faces the wall so I can enjoy operating it for a while and this has made things a little more interesting. 

I also dug out a kit I had forgotten I had and made a start...

20220115_220131.jpg.61e63f5d8902a3764363b7c51be2df98.jpg

It's a parkside vanwide and decided to replace the door grabs with brass .33mm wire. 

I do alot of this sort of thing and make use of the handrail jig from Bill Bedford. It's fairly easy to do without it but it certainly makes things look a bit more universal. 

20220115_220157.jpg.e8adb02abaae39850d91bd2932f811d7.jpg

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 4

Some close ups of the yard lamp I built from copper tube...20200315_101353.jpg.0403ad56ce5899c59ac895fee341c132.jpg

20200315_101441.jpg.12eebaba156fb0e0f3b75cbb46388dbf.jpg

257617647_20200315_1014412.jpg.7cf7b5b9cb5d354316e67e7dcd29593d.jpg

The telegraph pole effect was achieved by dragging heavy grit sand paper to form initial wood grain lines. Tgen the who think was primed with halfords grey then paint with a multiple of drak wood colours and other browns. The paint was applied in several layers, lots semi drying enamel dragged over and dry brushed together. 

Rust colours were introduced where metal fitments are attached to the wood. 

20200315_101419.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Very impressed with the wonderful scenic model, looking at the track plan it’s seems to be the same as “Carron Road” a layout built by Nigel Bowyer many years ago (it also appeared in the MRJ)

I had a Black Cat baseboard made sometime back and C&L points, track all with ballast laid which needs completing to build a similar layout.

If anyones interested I intend selling the baseboards as I’ve lost interest in the project since becoming the owner of “Camel Quay which can be seen in the BRM February 2022 issue

If anyones is interested in the completed baseboards etc please pm me

Terry Robinson

Edited by ELTEL
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 13:12, westernviscount said:

Templefield has echoes of an EM layout called Carron Road from the eighties or nineties. I did not knowingly copy and the presentation of mine is very different but the trackplan could be a direct steal!! 

3 hours ago, ELTEL said:

Very impressed with the wonderful scenic model, looking at the track plan it’s seems to be the same as “Carron Road” a layout built by Nigel Bowyer many years ago (it also appeared in the MRJ)

I had a Black Cat baseboard made sometime back and C&L points, track all with ballast laid which needs completing to build a similar layout.

If anyones interested I intend selling the baseboards as I’ve lost interest in the project since becoming the owner of “Camel Quay which can be seen in the BRM February 2022 issue

If anyones is interested in the completed baseboards etc please pm me

Terry Robinson

Thanks Terry. Yes, as I wrote up thread it is virtually identical in terms of track plan and although not a knowing steal, it must have been in the subconcious. Carron Road was a little before my time in terms of proper modelling though. I must have seen though as it clearly influenced my decisions. 

Having looked it up since, I would have loved to see it in real life. 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, westernviscount said:

Thanks Terry. Yes, as I wrote up thread it is virtually identical in terms of track plan and although not a knowing steal, it must have been in the subconcious. Carron Road was a little before my time in terms of proper modelling though. I must have seen though as it clearly influenced my decisions. 

Having looked it up since, I would have loved to see it in real life. 

Not sure of the whereabouts of Carron Road now, next time I bump into Nigel Boywer I ask him if he knows if it’s still about.

Another layout was featured in the Railway Modeller called  Yappleton a couple of years back which also used the same track plan.

Very much enjoyed your article and pictures.

Terry 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, westernviscount said:

If he does, let me know Terry. Internet pics are very hard to find of the layout. 

Have you got the MRJ copy with the Carron Road  article in ?
Terry 

Carron Road is in MRJ 76. I managed to pick up a copy a while back specifically to see Carron Road. It’s on two four feet length boards rather than your two three feet boards. 

Templefield is a cracking layout thanks for sharing it with us

DD3731AA-3889-454D-B94F-E65B26A2B6CE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 21:30, Stewart said:

Carron Road is in MRJ 76. I managed to pick up a copy a while back specifically to see Carron Road. It’s on two four feet length boards rather than your two three feet boards. 

Templefield is a cracking layout thanks for sharing it with us

DD3731AA-3889-454D-B94F-E65B26A2B6CE.jpeg

Hi Stewart. Thank you for your kimd comments. 

Sadly no.76 came out well before my serious modelling days. I was starting to dirty some of my then precious lima diesels though!! 

• 3 months later...