How much is it Worth?

J.M

• Moderators

This is the second topic you have created, both in the wong subforums. The first one also breached copyright.

Please take more care with better title, sensible questions and stick by the forum rules you agree to on joining.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, J.M said:

Yes a full sie one Like this Andrew Barclay

What do you not understand about not posting copyright images? Do it again and you will lose access to the site.

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

What do you not understand about not posting copyright images? Do it again and you will lose access to the site.

Yes sorry. But how can i See that ist Copyright? 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, J.M said:

Yes sorry. But how can i See that ist Copyright? 

Did you take the photo yourself? If yes, then you own copyright and can post.

If you just lifted it from another website, then you don't own the copyright and shouldn't be posting it.

If you aren't sure, then don't post the image.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Did you take the photo yourself? If yes, then you own copyright and can post.

If you just lifted it from another website, then you don't own the copyright and shouldn't be posting it.

If you aren't sure, then don't post the image.

Thank you very much!

13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for this. I was ask Thomas Muir If the Andrew Barclay's are for Sale (but i dont ask how much they will Cost). They Said yes.

But the street View you sent me Makes me Dought abute that. Do you know If the Barry scrapyard still have a owner?

Joseph

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

With apologies for going slightly off topic, I'd never heard of them or the place. I'm curious, is there a particular reason they are still there and haven't either been scrapped or sold, or why they won't sell them, or is it just the case that people have asked and just been told no?

3 minutes ago, JDW said:

With apologies for going slightly off topic, I'd never heard of them or the place. I'm curious, is there a particular reason they are still there and haven't either been scrapped or sold, or why they won't sell them, or is it just the case that people have asked and just been told no?

I have ask, bu it seems that they dont want to Sale them

1 minute ago, JDW said:

it was a scrapyard that bought locomotives from the NCB in the 1970s. Over the years most have left for preservation. They are in remarkable condition even though they've been dumped outside for over fifty years and they never suffered from thieves stealing parts so are virtually complete apart from some brass and copper fittings.

All seven that did leave have steamed since.

But getting them to sell is near impossible. I've known quite a few people who've tried over the years. I believe that the owner wants to keep the last four. Whether it's for financial reasons I don't know.

Sometimes scrapyards keep things in case the market changes. If you run into financial difficulty then you are sitting on £100,000 worth of locomotives.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

it was a scrapyard that bought locomotives from the NCB in the 1970s. Over the years most have left for preservation. They are in remarkable condition even though they've been dumped outside for over fifty years and they never suffered from thieves stealing parts so are virtually complete apart from some brass and copper fittings.

All seven that did leave have steamed since.

But getting them to sell is near impossible. I've known quite a few people who've tried over the years. I believe that the owner wants to keep the last four. Whether it's for financial reasons I don't know.

Sometimes scrapyards keep things in case the market changes. If you run into financial difficulty then you are sitting on £100,000 worth of locomotives.

Jason

A truly strange situation. Muirs current yards are not far from the house and I've seen one of them which is nearer a gate. Theres also a diesel too. From what I understand, the price asked for is truly dumb money for what they're worth unrestored hulks.

• RMweb Premium

For whatever reason, this has been the case for years (decades?)

As has been mentioned, some have 'escaped' to preservation but the others remain in Kirkcaldy - thus becoming something of a leg-end in railway circles. Why they haven't sold them on has never been very clear, surely with such a 'keen' eye on value they would have moved by now. Intrinsic or even scrap value must surely be balanced against the risk of being slowly destroyed by rust.

As regards the diesel, IIRC it's a NBL shunter

image.png.83441fe3fd93a5e07521ce8a01c7f51c.png

(from this page in the Kirkcaldy thread - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61849-kirkcaldy-area/page/7/ )

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 1

First time I remember hearing about them was in one of the magazines in the late 1970s. ISTR it was Railway Magazine or Railway World.

Another loco that a scrapyard owner didn't want to sell was this one. Apparently saved now. But I remember a few local enthusiasts had expressed an interest over the years.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/avonside-engine-company-works-no-1600-robert-0-6-0st/

Jason

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 60B said:

A truly strange situation. Muirs current yards are not far from the house and I've seen one of them which is nearer a gate. Theres also a diesel too. From what I understand, the price asked for is truly dumb money for what they're worth unrestored hulks.

Sometimes people for reasons only known to themselves, buy stuff and then never use it or want to sell.

As I type, I can hear the drone of a back hoe levelling the ground around a house, over the back fence.

The house (built in  the 1970s) has been empty for the last 30 years at least and the owner made annual visits to clean outside & essential maintenance.

However earlier this year, it was sold and the new owners have been spending the last 2 months refitting stuff inside and now landscaping. No idea what caused the change of mind - age of owner?

More likely owner deceased, and the sale is by the executor of the will.  Sadly this is the way it can be , owner wants a far too high price and won't sell for less, and eventually after many years they die and the executors get far less than if they had sold decades ago.  Having said that not so much applicable to houses, but many classic cars have rusted away to beyond saving due to the unrealistic expectations of the owners.

Edited by Titan
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Sometimes people for reasons only known to themselves, buy stuff and then never use it or want to sell.

There are a few scrapyard owners around the world who appear to be similar.

The most remarkable one I can think of is Industrias López Soriano in Zaragoza (worth a google - they've a bunch of 1880s built steam locos, oberursel diesel locos from 1923, 5 or 6 different gauges).

They won't sell anything either, but some time ago when myself and a friend modelled one of their couillet locos the proprietor very kindly sent us about 50 detailed photos of the three.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, J.M said:

Hi Everyone,

I have an Other question: can Someone please Tell me how much a scrapped Steam Locomotive Worth is?

Yet again, like your post about Eastleigh, a very 'non-specific' question.

Which could be interpreted several ways,

Are you looking to sell a scrapped steam loco ?

Are you looking to buy a scrapped steam loco ?

Your reference to a 'scrapped steam locomotive' implies the loco has been scrapped, namely cut up into smaller pieces - so who would want to buy a 'scrapped' steam loco, other than a scrap dealer ?

When asking a question on a forum, from which you wish to glean as much information as possible, it is best to assume that those to whom you address the question have little or no knowledge of the subject and therefore pose a more detailed question.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...
On 30/12/2021 at 21:18, Steamport Southport said: