Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

New Years modelling resolutions 2022

Kris

• RMweb Premium

As 2021 draws to a close it is that time of year when we traditionally make resolutions. Are you going to make any modelling resolutions this year? I have to say that I wasn't very good at keeping mine last year! 

Mine 2022 are...

• Visit eBay less.
  • Don't let a week go by without any modelling taking place. 
  • Build and complete at least one of the kits from the "stash".

So there are mine, what are yours?

Remember it's only a bit of fun.

• Like 6

Much the same as every year, really:

1. Crack on with the current project. Try to do some modelling every week.
  2. While I'm at it, finally bite the bullet and sort out that dodgy point motor.
  3. Build kits at a rate faster than I buy them!
  4. Chip some more locos. 
  5. Sort out the garage so I've got somewhere to leave the test oval in place without having to put it up and take it down every time I need to do some running. This may possibly involve buying a shed!
  6. Visit some model railway exhibitions. This is more of an aspiration than a resolution, but it would be nice to get back into the swing of the show circuit again, after an enforced break.

• Like 3

I'm going to do the same thing I do every year!

spacer.png

That cartoon was wasted on kids.....

Try and stop buying random "bargains", especially second hand basket cases that end up costing more to "put right" than they are worth.

Finish off some of the kits. Especially the wagons.

Try and get out and about more to exhibitions and heritage railways. Get one of those camera things to take some photos.

Jason

• Like 1

Realistically I don't expect to do any/much modelling.

What I hope to do.

Play with my shunting plank.

Rationalise my book collection, so possibly thin out my non-railway books to make room for more railway books.

Visit a few (new to me) model railway exhibitions.

cheers 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.Spend less time on this site.  The Squeeze resents it and it is an addictive time sucker, albeit an unparalled source of advice, information, and support.  I've promised her one day a week at least no RMWeb.

.Impose a realistic budget based on fortnightly pension days and stick to it.

.Not take on any more big projects until I've finished the 31xx.

.Sort out the wiring.

.Tidy the workbench.

.Tidy the railway room.

.Keep to these resolutions!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Complete the new fiddle yard for Camel Quay

Extend Margaret Street for through running.

Painting and fitting of Passengers in all my coaching stock

Complete the weathering of all the stock for Camel Quay, Oil Drum Lane & Margaret Street

Three sound chips to fit, upgrade speakers in older sound fitted models as required.

Hopefully get out and about in the Motorhome to visit a few preserved railways and a return to model railway exhibitions.

Also a bit more exercise to lose the covid pounds put on.

A Happy New Year to all and enjoy 2022 

Terry 

• Like 1

I refer the honourable members to the answer I gave one year ago. 

Seriously though the main one is to get a railway room sorted and use it for what it is designed for

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My purchases in the last year have been quite small except for detailing stuff, and I have spent much less time on Ebay so those were two good achievements.

Youngest grandson has proved to by a wizard at railways through Brio, Lego and TTTE. He is currently learning to drive the BedPan line on a train simulator having already cracked the Bakerloo.

We set up shunting puzzles together on my layout and he is starting to talk about having a proper one of his own so that has to be No.1 on the list. From my working life I learned that it was always good to have a succession plan and stocking it from my surflus will be no problem.

From my own point of view the aims in no particular order will be

• Build a Hornby Dublo 3-rail demonstration layout for my collection
  • Build a control panel for the big layout.
  • Build the buildings
  • Finish the ballasting.
  • Finish the rolling stock projects in progress
  • Reduce the kit mountain
  • Sort out what stock is surplus to requirements

If I manage that lot I will actually be able to get into the railway room to play trains properly.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

Happy New Year folks. 

My list...

1. Spend more time running the layout, trying to remember how enjoyable it is when I am in the "I cant be bothered" mood. 

2. Sort out the fiddle yard, adding space at the back of the layout. 

3. Get all rolling stock to a satisfactory state (especially all couplings standardised and reliable)

4. Address bufferbeam detail of the locos

5. Build another brass coach kit when finances allow

6. Spend less time on RMweb and more time modelling. 

7.Accept retirement is never going to come, so feel no guilt for pusuing a hobby I love now and let the go getters go get.  

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To get the wiring on my duel purpose layout so my UK (Elmstone) and USA (Harbledown) trains have somewhere to run and I can enjoy operating the layout. 

Stop buying ever more USA stock on eBay (or anywhere else for that matter).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Not so much a resolution but an acceptance of my mediocrity - do what I can as it has to please only me,

And that is the very best philosophy.

• Like 1

My main one would be to actually get through some of my projects I've had in mind for ages. I have a terrible habit of getting an idea in my head, acquiring what I need, and then just not doing anything about it. I could probably keep myself busy for years if I didn't buy anything new at all.

Along those lines, do more modelling. I spend most of my time working with maybe one free evening a week, and I just don't think that's very healthy. I want to reorganise my timetable so I have more me-time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/01/2022 at 11:08, Chris116 said:

To get the wiring on my duel purpose layout so my UK (Elmstone) and USA (Harbledown) trains have somewhere to run and I can enjoy operating the layout. 

Stop buying ever more USA stock on eBay (or anywhere else for that matter).

So the last sentence didn't last long as a resolution! Last night a Norfolk Southern GP38 I had been looking at but resisting was put on offer for £5 less than it had been. Two minutes later it had been paid for!

• Funny 2