GWR F24 Slip coach photos

• RMweb Gold

I have just started work on building a Comet kit of an F24 slip coach, the bits Comet supply for the ends are pretty basic so I am trying to find more photos to work form.  The two photos in Russell Appendix 2 give a good view of the side, but lack clarity on the end and have no idea as to what the interior would look like in the guards compartments at the end.

There is a photo in BR days about two thirds of the way down this page http://www.gwr.org.uk/slip-coach.html#:~:text=That was at Woodford Halse in 1935. The,the GWR had 72 coaches slipped every weekday. which gives a bit more detail, (not the first which is incorrectly labelled as an F24 which I think it is either an F22 or F23)

I have found some photos of cigarette cards showing the inside of which at assume to be a toplight slip, with a small desk and large brake leaver.  I assume this would still be the case in the later build?

Finally, from what I can see Comet dont include a casting for the bell.  Does anyone make one?  its not a detail part I recall seeing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

(not the first which is incorrectly labelled as an F24 which I think it is either an F22 or F23)

Thanks. I agree it isn't an F24, and it looks like a fat Riviera, so that would make it an F23, but I'm a bit confused as to whether F23 was single- or double-ended (I haven't got my Russell Coach Appendix books to refer to at the moment).

Harris doesn't include F22 in the lot lists as far as I can tell from a brief look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/12/2021 at 12:39, The Fatadder said:

Finally, from what I can see Comet dont include a casting for the bell.  Does anyone make one?  its not a detail part I recall seeing. 

If it is the same as on the F15/16 then I have one available. PM me your snail mail address.

• 2 weeks later...

The image, in your link, is one of a series that Maurice Early took. The full collection is at York.

However the same image is in Great Railway Photographers-Maurice Early by Colin Garratt which includes several more of the shots including an interior shot of the guards compartment. Pages 25/25. More still appear in A History of Slipping and slip carriages C E J Fryer.

Side image of a F24 is in Russell appendix II fig 50/51. The carriage numbers tally with an F24. It cannot be a F23 which is the Riviera with double recessed doors and F22 is a clerestory rebuild.

As for the bell, the gong from an ex Airfix/Hornby auto coach. 

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x8045-1-airfix-Dapol-autocoach-bell-pk1.ir

Good luck

Mike Wiltshire 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

The image, in your link, is one of a series that Maurice Early took. The full collection is at York.

However the same image is in Great Railway Photographers-Maurice Early by Colin Garratt which includes several more of the shots including an interior shot of the guards compartment. Pages 25/25. More still appear in A History of Slipping and slip carriages C E J Fryer.

Side image of a F24 is in Russell appendix II fig 50/51. The carriage numbers tally with an F24. It cannot be a F23 which is the Riviera with double recessed doors and F22 is a clerestory rebuild.

Thanks for that, I have just found a copy of Great Railway Photographers on ebay for the princely sum of £2 including the postage, well worth it for additional photos.  

Thanks to Siberian Snooper I have been sorted out with a pair of Geen gong's which are now fitted onto the coach, along with most of the other detail (just the lamp irons needed for the fronts now.)   I have also been working on a drawing to 3d print the vacuum tanks, seeing as the included Comet castings are way too big. 

32D3C83F-E648-4883-AAEF-35D0E9148EEE.jpeg

CBFF339C-978D-4B3D-8651-DFDEDEECCCEC.jpeg

F1CAA5DF-41B1-43FD-96E7-DE5C125B9DAA.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found mine. It was in the hidden loops. This an MTK example, unusually stamped from brass not aluminium. I built this many years ago. I bought it from W&H closing down sale for £1, just to date how old it is.

F24_lr1.jpg.8ddd6c89c1ecdb3aa54549ff4c4f4fe9.jpg

F24_lr2.jpg.30ec5c260eba4282f229af8dc18926b2.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine is now ready for paint (although it does look like the body is not quite fitting on the chassis properly.)  I need to do something about the steps as well (the mistake of following the instructions...)  Looking forward to getting it painted, the 3d printed vacuum tanks are now fitted I think making a difference vs the included castings. 

9031CED1-39F7-4839-ADA1-1CF5EACB83E8.jpeg.e5b831248ede7de37b5aea42d021236c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1