Lidl...middle isle...£7.99

2 hours ago, 57xx said:

I've had a set of these for a few years now.

The frame round the perimeter is thin ally, and not too deep. The surface is very thin MDF, so not at all rigid as a building surface. hey could do with thicker ply tops really, but the perimeter ally isn't thick enough to trap ply. But, as supports for a layout baseboard they have their uses...just don't sit on them.

20 hours ago, big jim said:

I got the mini drill and some multi tool cutting discs using my Lidl plus app voucher as there was a day left on it before it expired

If you don’t have it basically it’s a phone app and if you shop a lot in Lidl, as we do for the family big shop, when you spend £200 in a month over your shops you get a £10 voucher, or £2 if you spend £100 to use within that calendar month, it’s also useful as you get digital receipts, which is useful when whatever you buy will inevitably break down! 

handy for the big shop or to go (semi) mad in the middle isle on tat 

Such a pity for me as a singly of pensionable means [not a lot]...I doubt I spend much more than 50 or 60 pension-quids a month in Lidl...usually around the 50 quids region.  I don't actually 'shop' in any other soopahmarket...but I do use a local farm-type butcher...

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

How much lash is there on the vice?

I found that the movable face tended to lift as it mated with the fixed face.  However this was easily cured by putting a bend in the washer (bent using a pair of pliers and a bar) securing the movable face to the base.  This removed the slack and the faces now mate up exactly.  I've not used it for anything yet but it looks to be a useful tool, I succumbed and bought a second today.  Should be really useful for drilling oiling holes in propeller tubes (for boats).

Best wishes

Roddy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2021 at 15:07, Dave John said:

The 0.5 bits are ok, not as good as a full spec hss one but they do drill plastic easily. The rest look ok.

On 31/12/2021 at 19:58, SamThomas said:
On 31/12/2021 at 14:42, JohnR said:

Don't think it will matter much as they are probably made of cheese.

On 01/01/2022 at 09:06, Il Grifone said:

Cheap drill bits (and saw and knife blades) do tend to be c**p. OK for plastic (maybe), but any metal in which one might want to make holes is harder than the bit.

On 02/01/2022 at 11:53, Hroth said:

The drills are a curates egg bonus.

'The product is intended exclusively for drilling holes with the supplied hand drill in soft materials such as wood, plastic, rubber, or PVC.  The use of a power drill or similar is not permitted'.

I know one of the definitions of 'guy' is 'one who does not read the instructions', but in this case it might have helped...  I haven't assembled mine yet, but it looks like a well designed and well made bit of kit, and very good value for money.  Tx for the headsup, Super D!

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

'The product is intended exclusively for drilling holes with the supplied hand drill in soft materials such as wood, plastic, rubber, or PVC.  The use of a power drill or similar is not permitted'.

None of the sets I have bought from the "centre isles" in the past have had any such warning instructions, so again, my comment was based on experience & was intended to be tongue in cheek but there does not appear to be a TIC "smiley" on RMW.

& furthermore, I do actually read the instructions/guidance notes and am one of the first to admit that the actual tools are great value for money.

Edited by SamThomas
typos.

On 02/01/2022 at 12:38, daltonparva said:

Just taken me 20 mins to work out how to open the drill boxes. Easy when you know how.

I know I discovered that 15 minutes trying to work out, instructions useless, plenty of "don't put cat in microwave to dry" in 40 different languages but not how to open the drill box

seems you just pull apart

20220104_000016.jpg.39e33cb1bb8ad16eaf3d94245af0ce31.jpg

Comes apart 

20220104_000027.jpg.e264f57c2c4edc779e8d4ad4e96eda78.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

I found that the movable face tended to lift as it mated with the fixed face.  However this was easily cured by putting a bend in the washer (bent using a pair of pliers and a bar) securing the movable face to the base.  This removed the slack and the faces now mate up exactly.  I've not used it for anything yet but it looks to be a useful tool, I succumbed and bought a second today.  Should be really useful for drilling oiling holes in propeller tubes (for boats).

Best wishes

Roddy

Mine was very loose, took a "bastard" file to the jaw

20220103_235556.jpg.8a2dcfb5a163fe36367af03c516762be.jpg

underneath not good German engineering 

I bought a vertical drill stand* in our local (30 odd kilometres away in Oristano) Lidl.  It cost less than 20€ and (unlike most of these things which usually cost considerably more) included the vice, which is very similar to this one. It has a plastic pin which disconnects the screw so it can be easily adjusted and then screwed tight. I have to locate the instructions which have gone walkabout....

They do a quite decent Cheddar cheese in slices!

*The cheap sort which clamp an electric drill. Not as good as a proper one, but for occasional use.... They seem to have been a popular Xmas gift as the the local stores have sold out of the proper ones!

• RMweb Premium

Got one of these today. Good vfm. Never had a tool clamp as I failed to make one at school. Useful extra drill bits & pin chuck. Initiative test to open drillcases. 

Dava

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I liberated one yesterday and tried the pin vice this morning,  it doesn't grip 0.45mm drills, as soon as you apply a small amount of pressure the drill disappears into the body.

Mine does, which suggests variable quality and me being lucky for once, or maybe grit in the jaws preventing them closing properly.

• Agree 1

I got one of these yesterday.  Is the button on the top end of the pin vice supposed to rotate?  The one on mine doesn't (vs the one on the pin vice I already had, which does - but I like the chuck on the Lidl one, much less faff than swapping between different sized collets).

7 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Mine rotates but I have never really fathomed out a purpose for such,

It's so when it's in the palm of your hand you can turn it without the end digging into your hand, and also helps put a bit of pressure on it, if needed. ;) :good:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1