Class 92 UK Operations

Ncarter2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, I was down Dollands Moor a few weeks back and noted a couple of 92’s sat, it got me wondering about their current and previous spheres of operation. 
As I understand it, DB currently has 5/6 in UK operation, these only being cleared for use on HS1 and Dollands Moor to/through the Tunnel, no longer registered for use on the national network. 
What was the driver for this? Lack of traffic, to ease operations? 
When did DB’s 92’s last operate on the national network and were they using 3rd rail and OHL up until they got restricted to the current set up? 
Regarding GBRF’s ones, do they use their 3rd rail capability on a regular basis? I managed to see a photo from about a year or so ago when DB hired a GBRF machine in to cover, it travelled by the juice to get to Dollands Moor. 
Many thanks in advance and i wish all a Happy New Year. 

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

DB 92s last operated under their own power on the WCML in 2017 and the third rail shoes were all gone by 2019. GBRf 92s can still use the third rail when needed,  such as going to/from exams or out of course movements like new wagon deliveries.

Ah as late as that, I thought it was earlier, around 2015. Thank you for the information. 

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I understand they are no longer permitted to run on anything other than Eurotunnel infrastructure in France as the BR AWS which originally extended to Calais Ville from the Eurotunnel boundary has long been decommissioned and (I've heard) removed.

Are the 'exchange sidings' so to speak alongside the Eurotunnel terminal where the 92s hand over to alternative traction not SNCF property (just as Dollands Moor is Network Rail Property)? If so SNCF may well still have AWS equipment in use, just a lot less than before.

However with the abandonment of the Nightstar project over two decades ago its not exactly surprising the SNCF would have got rid of as much AWS equipment as possible

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

As I understand it, DB currently has 5/6 in UK operation, these only being cleared for use on HS1 and Dollands Moor to/through the Tunnel, no longer registered for use on the national network. 
What was the driver for this? Lack of traffic, to ease operations? 

(1) A distinct lack of channel tunnel freight which has never really recovered from the migrant crisis around a decade ago.

(2) High electricity prices which make diesel power far more cost effective

(3) The 92s being a complex loco to maintain and operate means they cost more to run than the simple 'go anywhere' 66

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Are the 'exchange sidings' so to speak alongside the Eurotunnel terminal where the 92s hand over to alternative traction not SNCF property (just as Dollands Moor is Network Rail Property)? If so SNCF may well still have AWS equipment in use, just a lot less than before.

However with the abandonment of the Nightstar project over two decades ago its not exactly surprising the SNCF would have got rid of as much AWS equipment as possible

It really depends on where the Eurotunnel TVM boundary is and that obviously extends from the tunnel into the terminal.  I think the boundary with the commencement of BR AWS equipped signals would have been at the point where ET TVM changed over to SNCF classic signalling and I don't know if Coquelles yard was included.  The only bit of the AWS installation I saw was at Calais Ville which would have been the limit of Class 92 working but obviously it went from there to the ET TVM boundary.