3 Way Turnout.

I've used all Hornby track on my layout, but I would like to save space by using a 3 way turnout in my goods yard, which Hornby don't produce, (if they do I can't find it). Does anyone know which manufacturer I can use that would be suitable match for Hornby?

• RMweb Gold

Not used Hornby or any 3-way or turnouts, but pretty sure it is the standard code 100, so therefore Peco Streamline code 100 track should be compatible, although you may find sleeper colour may differ slightly.

https://peco-uk.com/products/3-way-turnout-medium-radius

Bear in mind your Hornby turnouts will be dead frog, whereas this will be live frog, so there will be some wiring differences, with insulated joiners and frog switching requirements to get best running. There’s several threads on here about that subject.

Also, turnout length and radius will differ between Hornby and Peco so if in a run of points, some track cutting or bending may be needed. 
These differences are likely to exist between Hornby and any other make, I suspect.

Ian

Edited by ITG
  • Like 1

Peco code 100 track is compatible with Hornby and their Insulfrog points work the same way. I recently bought an old Fleischmann 3-way turnout on ebay for £15 and it is compatible with Hornby. Also it’s quite compact which was exactly what I needed.

• Like 1

The Peco streamline code 100 point work is compatible with Hornby  but the streamline point geometry is completely different to Hornby (Which is essentially the same as Peco Set Track.)   The three way is going to look very odd and save a bit of width maybe but its operating mechanism is different and despite my habitual mixing of Streamline and Set Track I wouldn't do it.  If you're short of length try cutting 10mm or so off the straight bit each end of the Hornby points , short of width change the whole lot to Streamilne, short of everything redesign using Peco Streamline short Y points, they are only about 75% the length of Hornby points, but larger radius.

You might find a Farish 3 way or something similar but they don't have springs to keep the blades held across so you are in to even more hassle.   

• Like 1