Network Rail’s ex EMT/EMR Class 153’s

• RMweb Gold

I’m considering detailing one of my Hornby EMT Class 153’s into Network Rail’s VIU unit’s, and I was wondering if anyone has done or planning to do the video equipment which hangs off the front end.  As you can see, there are also two windows plated over with louvre’s, which appear to be on one side only.  Because of the way it was parked, I couldn’t see if 153376 had video equipment at both ends or just the one.

153311, which seems to be Network Rail’s other VIU unit, has a black NR logo on either side of the body, whereas 153376 doesn’t, but it’s nameplate has been removed.

66A39CCB-4CD5-447B-97C7-A5B99611533A.jpeg

0F785044-821F-4688-AD9C-63B51470332A.jpeg

513882D7-CEBA-4D4D-9033-8E74DA961DC3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

153385 is the other VIU, 311 is a non converted unit that’s been used for driver training. The VIU’s are being trialled on Anglia and Wessex, both units have just had a geometry measurement system installed as well. On the VIU’s, both ends have cameras, but only one end has the inspection cameras, those right down at the rail head ( two on each side in the photos you have above ). 

edit: just looked at photos of the other unit, the inspection end is the original cab end, the small cab only having the high level cameras. 

Edited by Ncarter2
Wrong unit number
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

153395 is the other VIU, 311 is a non converted unit that’s been used for driver training. The VIU’s are being trialled on Anglia and Wessex, both units have just had a geometry measurement system installed as well. On the VIU’s, both ends have cameras, but only one end has the inspection cameras, those right down at the rail head ( two on each side in the photos you have above ). 

Don’t you mean 153385?  That’s as high as the 153 numbering went.

• Thanks 1