BR Standard Class 2MT wheel sizes

JeremyC

I am about to start building a DJH 7mm kit of the BR standard class 2MT. Checking up on the wheel sizes I have found there is a difference between sources for the tender wheels.

The kit instructions give 3ft 6 1/2ins - 10 spokes whereas Sharman's 'Wheel Specifications for the Modeller' states 3ft 3 1/2ins - 10 spokes. The only other source I've found is a very blurred image of the weight diagram which I think says 3ft 3 1/2ins.

Can anyone confirm the correct size?

Regarding the front pony truck wheels the instructions  show 3ft diameter 9 spokes; Slaters list their 7836ST which matches the size and spoke number and is noted as being for LMS Stanier pacifics; would this be a suitable wheel for the 2MT?

Thanks

3 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

It is entirely possible that DJH have simply used the same components for the tender on the Standard as they had for the Ivatt as a matter of economy.

Now that's a good point (and I agree it's very likely), which would mean the kit needs scale 3ft 6 1/2in wheels.

Thanks to all who have replied.

• RMweb Premium

Drawings I have for the LMS Ivatt 3000 & 3500 gal tenders used behind the 2MT & 4MT state 3’-6 1/2” wheels. Whether this changed when they became basically the BR standards I don’t know. I have seen a drawing of the later 7800 BR standard 2MT which states 3’-3 1/2”.  You pays your money…….

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Drawings I have for the LMS Ivatt 3000 & 3500 gal tenders used behind the 2MT & 4MT state 3’-6 1/2” wheels. Whether this changed when they became basically the BR standards I don’t know. I have seen a drawing of the later 7800 BR standard 2MT which states 3’-3 1/2”.  You pays your money…….

Yes they did change.  BR and LMS tenders were not identical.  All of the BR tenders used 3'-3 1/2".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, asmay2002 said:

Yes they did change.  BR and LMS tenders were not identical.  All of the BR tenders used 3'-3 1/2".

Thanks. I suppose part of the uncertainty arises through most of the 2MT Ivatts being produced under BR.

1 minute ago, Marshall5 said:

Interestingly (to me anyway!), preserved Standard 2 78018 runs with the tender chassis (it had a new tank) from Ivatt 2 46464.

Ray.

So I guess this must run with the larger wheels just to aid the confusion. Underlines how careful you have to be when using preserved examples on which to base a model...