Hornby 2022 - Steam range

AY Mod

• Moderators

New tooling

Black Five

It’s nearly fifty years since a Black Five first entered Hornby’s range with their Silver Seal model in 1973 which gave reliable service for many years. Looking back now it wasn’t the most accurate of models but their re-launched model of 2002 was a big improvement. Twenty years on Hornby are now revisiting the widespread maid-of-all-work to produce one of their highest specification models making the “Ultimate Black Five” to quote Simon Kohler’s briefing. It will be completely new tooling throughout including features and details not seen before on previous models allowing for many variants including Walschaerts and Caprotti valve gear (and a promise of Stephenson’s gear at a future point) with a new close-coupling locomotive to tender coupling, flickering firebox lights, painted driver and fireman and working lamps which will utilise the 21-pin decoder socket – something long overdue from Hornby. One of the models will feature Hornby’s new steam generator and sound; at our briefing this model showed an RRP of £249.99 which means for the £20 premium that it will be the pick of the bunch.

The initial launch models will be of 5200 in LMS lined black livery, 45157 Glasgow Highlander in lined early BR crest (one of the few named),  44726 with steam generator and 44755 with Caprotti gear as a web exclusive.

Slide225.JPG

Slide226.JPG

Slide227.JPG

Slide228.JPG

LMS Turbomotive

Slide83.JPG

Slide84.JPG

Reliveries

Slide69.JPG

Slide70.JPG

Slide71.JPG

Slide72.JPG

Slide73.JPG

Slide74.JPG

Slide75.JPG

Slide76.JPG

Slide77.JPG

Slide78.JPG

Slide79.JPG

Slide80.JPG

Slide81.JPG

Slide82.JPG

Slide83.JPG

Slide84.JPG

Slide14.JPG

Slide15.JPG

Slide16.JPG

Slide17.JPG

Slide51.JPG

Slide52.JPG

Slide53.JPG

Slide87.JPG

Slide88.JPG

Slide215.JPG

Slide216.JPG

Slide217.JPG

Slide27.JPG

Slide28.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• AY Mod pinned this topic

Well my Terrier prediction was 30% right* (K&ESR pair & Martello), 20% right loco wrong livery (Newport & Waddon) and 50% didn't appear.

*= Assuming Poplar is in A1X as preserved condition and not A1 as built condition.

Edited by Paul.Uni

Not much (if anything) in the announcement for me as a western region steam modeller but I have to admit I’m intrigued by the working lamps on steam locos. Given that not everyone will want the same lamp code on the front of their model it’ll be interesting to see exactly how Hornby have provided for the possibility of different codes.

Oh well no County or Saint.  But another release of the Single as a Triang celebration (will we be getting sets to celebrate design clever in years to come??).

Shame the old Black 5 couldn't be relegated to Railroad, but I suspect that it's good enough for most people and the lower price would chop the knees from under the new release.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I'm surprised no one has commented on some of the prices. The country is entering a period of high inflation which is going to affect peoples disposable income, especially the older generation (who buy steam models) who are on fixed incomes. Even at 10% off prices for some items are still high.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Good to see Hornby inserting extra features into the Black Five to make the new prices more palatable. I'll want one but first need to work out which from this year's batch best fits my location/era.

Four Bulleid Pacifics with none of them doing that is a new experience for me. :unsure:

The crimson/cream Maunsell Dining Saloon is welcome as it will complete my planned rake in that livery.

I already have the Loriot on order from Rapido (via Rails, just to twist the knife), so too late there.  

A couple of diesels (one definite, one probable), and that looks to be pretty much it.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

While they were both wide open goals for Hornby I'm amazed at my own perspicacity in predicting for new tooling both the Turbomotive and the Black 5 (and a diecast body A4).  The latter is likely to be of interest to me as they could of course be seen at various times over the years on quite a bit of the WR.  The mention of working lights is fascinating although like '7802' above it is going to be very interesting to see how Hornby tackle it and I hope it is considerably better, and much more flexible in terms of headcode, than past attempts at working lights on 4mm scale steam outline locos .

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, OFFTHE RAILS said:

Judging by the illustration of the "2002" 4F 0-6-0 it appears that Hornby have reverted to the tender powered version with the loco having full daylight under the boiler......

They probably just Photoshopped an old image.

AIUI the old tender drive doesn't comply with modern electrical interference standards.

John

• Agree 1

Caprotti 5 for me please, I'll be interested to see the early shots of this development. I have 6 other various Blackies which are fine as layout locos and will not be replaced.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Dear Hornby,

Thankyou for ignoring the Great Western Railway again. Do you remember that company?

It is still quite popular but there are plenty of other manufacturers doing a great job of making GWR models these days so you have saved me some soul-searching.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So Hornby (and Bachmann et all) are immune to the inflationary factors we are suffering or have to hold prices artificially down?

It's a discretionary spend, if you cannot afford, you simply don't buy.

Sadly its getting to the stage where the vast majority will not be able to afford it, even if they wanted it anyway.

£200 for a M7 is a simply daft price. Old model with a repaint.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Finally a wartime black Terrier! Oh, I gotta buy it in a limited addition anniversary pack... Are Hornby trolling me? 

Edit Anyone wanna go halves with me and keep Poplar? 

I'm just in the middle of repainting one from W14 to 2678 in that livery!

41 minutes ago, Farang said:

I'm surprised no one has commented on some of the prices. The country is entering a period of high inflation which is going to affect peoples disposable income, especially the older generation (who buy steam models) who are on fixed incomes. Even at 10% off prices for some items are still high.

You're not the only one who has noticed, trust me.

For all those who dismiss any complaint about high prices as "moaning", we should remember that we are now entering a cost of living crisis. Discretionary spending such as model railways will be the first to go if people are struggling to keep up, and even comparatively small amounts of money can affect decision making. And the difference between 2019 Hornby prices and 2022 Hornby prices is not insignificant, things like the Light Pacifics have gone up by nearly £100.

I'm sure they'll sell Turbomotives, unique as they are, but I think a new Black 5 at that RRP is seriously risky. They've sweetened the deal considerably with sound and steam effects but I'm not sure it'll be enough to entice buyers when the "old" model can be had for £100 less on eBay. I had a similar debate about the 9F not so long ago.

I would also question whether some of those reliveries are wise. They're pushing their luck with all these W1s in the pipeline, I would be worried about a repeat of the Peckett situation on that one.

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

OK, I'm mildly confused here. So Hornby are doing two fictional Lions, including Titfield (see other thread), but not a real-life Lion. Unless they're planning on holding back a real-life Lion for a later announcement, that seems a little odd.

• Agree 1

So will we ever see an Ivatt Caprotti black 5 (with smoke generator)? I'm holding my breath between waiting or chipping in for a Turbomotive (which I already have built as a kit).

Turbo.jpg.812a9fde3edb1c1aa626a09123be2d08.jpg

Then again, maybe I don't need a second Turbolocomotive... 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

So will we ever see an Ivatt Caprotti black 5 (with smoke generator)? I'm holding my breath between waiting or chipping in for a Turbomotive (which I already have built as a kit).

Turbo.jpg.812a9fde3edb1c1aa626a09123be2d08.jpg

Then again, maybe I don't need a second Turbolocomotive... 

Pretty pointless unless you wanted the other livery, I'd think.:unsure:

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

While they were both wide open goals for Hornby I'm amazed at my own perspicacity in predicting for new tooling both the Turbomotive and the Black 5 (and a diecast body A4).  The latter is likely to be of interest to me as they could of course be seen at various times over the years on quite a bit of the WR.  The mention of working lights is fascinating although like '7802' above it is going to be very interesting to see how Hornby tackle it and I hope it is considerably better, and much more flexible in terms of headcode, than past attempts at working lights on 4mm scale steam outline locos .

I didn't do badly in predicting the new Black 5, but notice the deft hand of Kohler in more Southern releases. To be honest its perfectly understandable given runs of other items that are still to be delivered and some of those mentioned above have not been done. Will the price make people pause, as I thought, then I think that is likely and could it be that some livery selections might make others hesitate. Braunton is an odd choice, given the rebuild runs on the mainline - I would have avoided that. 

However, what is clear is that Hornby are trying to go through all the big steam oddities, having found after the Duke that you can re-release an engine over and over again with minor differences or changes in livery. Following on from Duke, W1 in both forms now comes Turbomotive. Excellent for the collector and now the one for the Midland region. Should prove to be ok but how soon do you run out of options for this kind of thinking. The answer is not long... so how much more on that line of thought can be produced? Anyone fancy a Hornby Leader? 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

OK, I'm mildly confused here. So Hornby are doing two fictional Lions, including Titfield (see other thread), but not a real-life Lion. Unless they're planning on holding back a real-life Lion for a later announcement, that seems a little odd.

Presumably the "straight" Lion was covered by the original announcement, last year.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1