Hornby 2022 - Steam range

AY Mod

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It might be that they still have dozens of models left over from last year. I think it was something like 200 which were delayed.

Most of which are a bit more "normal". Pecketts, BR 2MTs, H Class, Lord Nelsons, A3s, J36s, 51XXs, 9Fs, etc.

And those delightful looking R&H diesel shunters.

Jason

Unfortunately the RRP of almost all of those "normal" models has risen by about £30-50.

Thankfully as a normal person who wants to pay normal prices I've already purchased mine. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Given that there are only three Pacific’s left to do, the question is what comes next after they’ve exhausted all options?

Maybe four, if you consider the Raven A2 rebuilt with the modified A1 boiler as a separate type? It certainly looked different:

https://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/locos/A/a2_raven_2404.jpg

• Like 2

I’m rather surprised that the illustration of 44755 supplied by Hornby is of a renumbered  engine with Walschaerts valve gear. The real 44755 looked like this:  

https://railphotoprints.uk/p883082520/h1F18270D

Sometimes referred to as a ‘gorilla’.

Edit - I can’t see any earlier comment about this. If there is one, and I’ve missed it, I apologize.

Edited by pH
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Ahhh - The Titfield Thunderbolt & the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway !!

Wigan Wallgate (L&Y) 18 May 1980. Former Liverpool and Manchester Railway locomotive Lion is seen on a transfer working between Southport and Bold Colliery so that it could take part in the 150th anniversary of its former owners railway.

image.png.cead8f794307f0cd7976abbede9394bc.png

No steam rollers were harmed during this trip, the bus, as usual, never showed up. Uncle Joes mintball factory is just off scene to the right, Uncle Joes mintballs keep you all aglow you know, give one to your Granny and watch the bu99er go. !!!!!

Brit15

This is exactly the Lion that I am after to go with my preserved 'Bluebell' selection (I don't think she ever visited the Bluebell though a replica of the Rocket did - but rule number 1...).

Unfortunately Hornby have not announced this one yet and only Rapido offer her as such with DCC sound fitted too. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Wow hasnt this spot changed, Here is a frame taken from a video I made here last month…

B2FEA4AF-9D48-4E2F-B5A0-309A80E8E982.jpeg.a923eec50583a10c047c0dcd44363bda.jpeg

you can see why RHTTs werent needed daily in the 1980’s… and daily steam had already been gone a decade at this point too !

Back in the eighties, B.R was allowed to use weed-killers that did the job for more than a month....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
clarity
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Back then, B.R was allowed to use weed-killers that did the job for more than a month....

John

Big weeds in Wigan, you should see our trees  !!!!!

Brit15

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

I don't think it's fair to compare models with iPads though, they haven't actually had that much of a percentage change over the previous 10 years, 2010 a new basic iPad was £429 and today from the Apple store itself a basic model will set you back £319 - and today's iPad is quite far ahead of slab of touchscreen display it was 10 years ago. 

Same with consoles really, I remember getting a PS3 when they came out were £425 which would be £628 today adjusted to inflation.

Getting back on topic, it does appear the Black 5 is DCC.. but isn't 100% clear, I assume Hornby will clarify at some point. 

14 hours ago, Outrunn said:

the difference is games consoles & ipads are one off purchases, made one every few years. Model loco's are meant to be items that you buy a few of every year, not spending almost £1000 on 3 locos, which you could actually do with some of these new loco's, which is insane. 

12 hours ago, steve45 said:

I doubt if transport costs represent a significant proportion of the total cost of a locomotive, so probably went up from 50p per item to £2.50 ( a rough guess at 5000 items in a container which is probably a lot less than can actually be loaded within a container. So what justifies the rest of the recent increases?

Games consoles and phones are made in their tens of millions, and the manufacture is almost entirely automated. Model locos are made in their hundreds, or at most a few thousand, and involve a lot of hand assembly. The cost of labour in China, where they are made, has gone up substantially in the last few years. So has the cost of materials, and power - much of the increase in power cost here has been due to the increase in demand for gas in China. So unless you think the Chinese labourers should continue to work in underpaid sweatshop conditions just so you can have cheap toys, then the cost will have to increase substantially. 

This same argument was had a couple of years ago when Bachmann had to increase their prices, so it's no surprise that Hornby have had to do the same. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

21 hours ago, pH said:

I’m rather surprised that the illustration of 44755 supplied by Hornby is of a renumbered  engine with Walschaerts valve gear. The real 44755 looked like this:  

https://railphotoprints.uk/p883082520/h1F18270D

Sometimes referred to as a ‘gorilla’.

Edit - I can’t see any earlier comment about this. If there is one, and I’ve missed it, I apologize.

Hopefully that’s just an error but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was erroneously numbered.

I’m beginning to think that the numbering is chosen by someone who knows little of the subject but, for example, chooses a photo of a Caprotti Black Five without bothering to check it’s correct or how long that loco carried that condition for. (Compared to a classmate in a similar condition that carried it far longer).

50 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

Hopefully that’s just an error but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was erroneously numbered.

I’m beginning to think that the numbering is chosen by someone who knows little of the subject but, for example, chooses a photo of a Caprotti Black Five without bothering to check it’s correct or how long that loco carried that condition for. (Compared to a classmate in a similar condition that carried it far longer).

I'm afraid all the images are of photoshopped preserved examples of normal Black Fives.

The modern yellow Electrification Warning Flashes is the give away. Didn't have those in the 1960s.

Jason

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Chuffed 1 said:

There was no changing between Caprotti valve gear and other valve gears in the class. Black Fives with Caprotti gear were built in that condition and stayed like that till withdrawn. Also, no Black Fives were built without Caprotti gear and then converted later to Caprotti. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Back in the eighties, B.R was allowed to use weed-killers that did the job for more than a month....

John

Yup

And caused those handling it to develop Cancer, aquatic creatures to be killed of in large numbers when it got washed into watercourses, etc....

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

55 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Yup

And caused those handling it to develop Cancer, aquatic creatures to be killed of in large numbers when it got washed into watercourses, etc....

And why, in the 1990s, my local PWME was interviewed under caution as to why atrazine was showing up in drinking water boreholes in properties alongside the railway at levels way in excess of a safe dose. BR hadn't used it for years ago that point  but it was still in the groundwater.

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, Chuffed 1 said:

It's not only valve gear, it's boilers and tenders as well.

• Like 2

On 11/01/2022 at 23:31, pH said:

There was no changing between Caprotti valve gear and other valve gears in the class. Black Fives with Caprotti gear were built in that condition and stayed like that till withdrawn. Also, no Black Fives were built without Caprotti gear and then converted later to Caprotti. 

I was referring to the Gorilla number being used on a ‘standard’ Caprotti Black Five, not that there was any change in the valve gear.

A preservationist mistake copied by Hornby.

Edited by Chuffed 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, mckinneyc said:

I may have had a moment of madness and pre-ordered one of The Coronation A4s

Not mad at all, I am doing photos of blue pre-war A4s right now, and a W1, and they are superb machines, and models.

I was reading an O S Nock book on the locomotives of Sir Nigel Gresley last night and both the A4s and the W1 could sustain over 2,000 horsepower, the A4s at a higher speed, the W1 at perhaps lower speeds with larger cylinders but smaller valve ports.

Great engines. May I ask which you have bought?

Edited by robmcg
typos
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

LMS 6202, tender No9003, it appears, as noted in the comment from the Hornby Magazine YouTube channel, that the tender under frame is incorrect regarding the tender steps, hopefully this will be resolved before release 

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 1