Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

r3762.. announced 2020.. 5 car 800/1 version artwork shows 800201

r3827.. announced 2021.. 5 car 800/1 “scottish” version with Saltaire flag 800104

I think you're a year out with them. R3762 was 2019, and R3827 I think was in the 2020 range. I recall it got announced in the same catalogue there is a reference to a Nova 1, which didn't happen that year nor did it happen last (but it is doing so this year - YAY!)

On the subject of 80Xs, I notice on the GWR 802 they have tooled the different rooftop arrangements to the 800/801, and on the coach packs have also tooled the non driven coach bogies right, which I think is excellent on their part especially on the coach packs which some could say are a bit niche. I am sure all the people (myself included) wanting 802s and/or coach packs will be pleased to wait if it means the tooling reflects the prototype more accurately.

TBH when you account for the work they have done 21 pinning a load of older (but still OK-Excellent) locos I think it seems they have been paying attention to a lot of what has been said on these pages, and hat tipped to them on my part.

I wonder how many of us will be wanting to buy spare part circuit boards to fit to our 60s!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, 97406 said:

For the price, I’d also like (or expect) to see the cab gutters, windscreens and nose profile correcting too. 

It also needs the upper white body stripe, and which needs to go above the rainwater gutters just below the head code panel. I think Exeter may have been a bit different to some of the other NSE ones.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 97406 said:

For the price, I’d also like (or expect) to see the cab gutters, windscreens and nose profile correcting too. 

but theres no direct competitor, to the class 50 so they probably don't feel they need to spend that sort of money on a tooling that is mid-life.

Same with no direct competitor to the class 31...60....and HST the 56 is soon to be competed against by the Cavalex model maybe that will get a revision...

Yeah they are getting 21 pin upgrades......but Hornby have already done the hard part for those...they already all had a 21pin variant... in the factory sound fitted versions.

it does surprise me at the apparent surprise of the post 200 quid model....as soon as the new Bachman 47 came out..it was going to be the norm. even the post 300 quid model sold out before it even hit the shops. All its doing is making O Gauge look more affordable....

I think for the first time just before the pandemic, prices were rising so fast that the price of a limited edition model that hadn't sold as well as the commissioner hoped became cheaper than an off the shelf version of the same class.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Rail Adventure power cars looks a bit of a punt.

Afaik they were exported to Germany, and so far theyve not been used ?

my understanding is they want to pair them together at the gangway ends, use them as a doubleheaded twin pulling at the nose end coupling.

Does anyone know if Hornbys DVT has NEM couplings ?

if not, those Rail Adventure power cars aren't going to be pulling much, not that the real thing has either so far.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, pheaton said:

but theres no direct competitor, to the class 50 so they probably don't feel they need to spend that sort of money on a tooling that is mid-life.

I have a slightly cheaper and more satisfying way of getting a nice looking 50 based on secondhand models. I’m still learning the approach though, a third 50’s being reworked as the ends weren’t quite right.

DSCF0365.JPG.0e3c4872612ee39d30d3643c89b97852.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Rail Adventure power cars looks a bit of a punt.

Afaik they were exported to Germany, and so far theyve not been used ?

my understanding is they want to pair them together at the gangway ends, use them as a doubleheaded twin pulling at the nose end coupling.

Does anyone know if Hornbys DVT has NEM couplings ?

if not, those Rail Adventure power cars aren't going to be pulling much, not that the real thing has either so far.

A bit like the Floyd 56. Strange one to do.

Although the RA PCs are now back in the UK. flickr pic from a couple weeks ago.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

There's still time to get the NSE 50 right, hopefully they will take note (its happened in other cases where errors have occurred). Either that or a photo will be produced and D&E modellers can get their very own version of the 'Green Running Plate' saga (Hornby 'Clan' thread) ;)

• Like 1

The 08s are an odd choice, two are as preserved - the NRM's 13079 and the Great Western Society's 08604 from Didcot which never ran in blue with cast plates in BR service. Then Loram-liveried 08632, which hasn't been at Derby since last April.

You would think that the likes of Railfreight Red Stripe, triple-grey, Provincial or even a Departmental grey re-run would be more useful. Just like the Class 31 situation really.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

40 minutes ago, pheaton said:

it does surprise me at the apparent surprise of the post 200 quid model....as soon as the new Bachman 47 came out..it was going to be the norm. even the post 300 quid model sold out before it even hit the shops. All its doing is making O Gauge look more affordable....

And that's the point. The tooling of the 50, whilst good for it's time is now dated and lagging behind newer models.

The Bachmann 47, whilst pricy ups is game significantly in refinement and attention to detail.

Yet again Hornby have increased their prices without any attempt to enhance dated models.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The BR Blue 31 has bodyside steps and  a water tank filler recess in the roof, I don’t think they have made this combination before. This is welcome, but they have somewhat boxed it in to a mid 1970s time period by giving it TOPS numbers. If it has dominos rather than head codes, even more so.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MikeJT said:

And that's the point. The tooling of the 50, whilst good for it's time is now dated and lagging behind newer models.

The Bachmann 47, whilst pricy ups is game significantly in refinement and attention to detail.

Yet again Hornby have increased their prices without any attempt to enhance dated models.

Mike

but Bachmann on the 47 front have looming competition from Heljan, if you disregard the current issues with it...(which you never know might get corrected) the 47 has much to big market share in the modelling community to lose to potential competitors superior model (note we haven't been told the full spec of the Heljan one) 

whereas with the 50 there is no new model or planned model it can possibly lag behind...age is irrelevant at the moment...its the top of the food chain...

why spend money on a model that has no planned equals....

I think we are past that stage to know...that people will buy models if there is no alternative....hence the reason lima fag packet sleepers sold for £300+ on eBay same with lima HSTs.. which right to the end were punching well above their weight on the selling prices.....

an even clearer example....the original Hornby APT...and triangle blue pullman....sold for stupid money...and it wasn't because of their antique value!

and regards price...yes of course the price had to increase to offset the initial outlay...but bear this in mind....

I would expect over the coming year the prices of the class 37s....coaches...to all start creeping up.

Edited by pheaton

Well it's either Heating or Eating or a mortgage on a HST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, as Phaeton wrote above, if you have the space O gauge IS the way to go. I have bought brand new super detailed O gauge Atlas O twin flywheel motored US outline diesel locos with quantum sound, which will operate on both DC and DCC for around the same price as a RRP Hornby HST. There are UK O scale brand new bargain locos around also, the Dapol 08 for one - a lovely model, I have one for a small UK shunting plank layout in progress.

Hornby are away with the fairies for me these days.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Cheers, are Kernow still charging at the point of order ?

Hi,

If you phone the Warehouse, Camborne or Guildford Stores, then you can order without payment until the order is ready for delivery or collection.

Simon

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pheaton said:

but Bachmann on the 47 front have looming competition from Heljan, if you disregard the current issues with it...(which you never know might get corrected) the 47 has much to big market share in the modelling community to lose to potential competitors superior model (note we haven't been told the full spec of the Heljan one) 

whereas with the 50 there is no new model or planned model it can possibly lag behind...age is irrelevant at the moment...its the top of the food chain...

why spend money on a model that has no planned equals....

I think we are past that stage to know...that people will buy models if there is no alternative....hence the reason lima fag packet sleepers sold for £300+ on eBay same with lima HSTs.. which right to the end were punching well above their weight on the selling prices.....

an even clearer example....the original Hornby APT...and triangle blue pullman....sold for stupid money...and it wasn't because of their antique value!

and regards price...yes of course the price had to increase to offset the initial outlay...but bear this in mind....

I would expect over the coming year the prices of the class 37s....coaches...to all start creeping up.

No planned equals (or likely far better) that they or we know about - yet! 

Typical Hornby trait - continue to palm off an ok-ish model, make no continued investment in improving the model and leave a gap in the market for a superior one. Then whinge and react in the way they usually do because someone has strayed into ‘their territory’ despite them not giving a t**s for years! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The two Hornby super detailed tooled Class 31s are interesting. 

D5500 the Class pioneer in BR green with white stripes is curious, because the actual loco in the NRM today is in BR Blue as 31018! Unless Hornby are modelling it as initially preserved? It would be interesting to have a toffee apple skin head 31 in BR Blue modelled. But the skin head tooling with nose end doors only has Mirrless exhaust ports, and to represent D550/31018 in its current state would need English Electric exhaust ports.

31139 in BR Blue looks to have nose end doors (assumption), steam heat water tank filler etc. Although no idea if its would to have headcodes or dominos? Another point is will it have English Electric exhaust ports? The models produced with this body tooling (R2572 / R3144) have Mirrless Exhaust ports, which would be plain wrong!

The move to a 21pin decoder socket isn't new. The DCC sound models had this board, but also used lighting with the reversed polarity, which was unique to the DCC sound models of the period. Why Hornby came up with this unique arrangement with the increased design, tooling and production costs is puzzling!

Have to say I would have welcomed a refurbished Class 31/4 like so many have requested over the years in the following liveries:-

• BR Blue
  • BR mainline executive (parcels)
  • BR Departmental Grey.

Or a refurbished Class 31/1 in:-

• BR Railfreight Large Logo grey

I know people like to knock this model, but personally prefer it to ex-Lima tooled 31.

I guess the big question is could Bachmann (using a scaled up Farish tooling), Heljan or Accurascale pick off the Class 31 with a newly tooled version in the near future?

Accurascale would probably the best placed to offer features similar to those on their new Class 37, plus you'd know the model will use accurate tooling appropriate the loco been represented.

Edited by richierich
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I am a bit confused about these, are they packs of 2 wagons (and therefore only £22.50 each after discount) or for one wagon as the livery is different on either side? The fact it says pack to me means 2 wagons but my gut says it is 1 wagon given the pricing and the artwork could be on both sides.

This must be the only product that has gone down in price. 

When they first appeared a few years ago as a commission for Drax I think they were around the £80 mark.

Paul

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pheaton said:

Yeah they are getting 21 pin upgrades......but Hornby have already done the hard part for those...they already all had a 21pin variant... in the factory sound fitted versions.

From what I have heard on some of the launch videos the lighting is switchable ends and with cab lighting and night headlights, if that is the case then it's new circuit boards.

• Informative/Useful 2

Just now, birdseyecircus said:

This must be the only product that has gone down in price. 

When they first appeared a few years ago as a commission for Drax I think they were around the £80 mark.

Paul

They were £75 IIRC. But yes cheaper regardless of my confusion! The thing is they were a commission from Drax and we don't know how many freebies were paid for with the retailed models.

• Like 1

For me this year, the FGW HST gets my order. Not my area/region, but definitely in my era. 

The only other thing was the Sentinel shunt in MSC colours, as kindof goes with my Octel rake. 

Of course a lot of other 'nice to have's'. Overall I think a decent range.

• Like 1