Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Are the "tier 1" only models also available directly from Hornby? I couldn't find the biomass wagons on their web site. 

No, only Tier 1 customers.

I have tried several Tier 1’s, however none of them have these left, or some haven't listed them at all.

I suspect some retailers are holding for select customers, some rationing, which may make sense, however it does mean very few will end up happy with a full rake. 
it might be a case of heres some this year, try next year, or a street fight on ebay.

It isn't just Drax in short supply.

However (cynic sales hat on), whilst it appears several items are going low in stock already, (Azuma 9 car was sold out yesterday, TPE looks low etc) putting urgency into sales is a well known tactic to flooding in pre-orders.. the best way to do that is fear of missing out. Lets be cogniscent of Hornbys current persona.. I wouldnt think imo that its beyond doubt, that come mid-summer, suddenly “extra” supplies become available…

However something has landed this morning…

And first viewing gives it a nice thumbs up from me,..

F30D708E-FD0C-4878-9934-FA2EBA535AF3.jpeg

9B96E317-28B8-4256-8652-3623D0426F1D.jpeg

510D17DF-9C07-44FB-9204-B59657A6EACF.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, NIK said:

.....I wonder if Hornby will produce a basic 21 pin non sound DCC decoder (less features* than the Sapphire)?.

* I don't want one but I always find it interesting to see how they might differ from Bachmann.

They've announced just that, in this 2022 range.

R7382 21-pin decoder -  r.r.p. £24.49 - estimated July 2022

Also a 21 to 8 pin converter harness

R7383 - r.r.p. £4.99 - estimated April 2022

Not for me though.

I'll stick with Zimo, ESU and Lenz  (which Bachmann use/have used for their own branded decoders).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Drax Biomass Hoppers available to pre-order now at 'Model Railways Direct'.

No connection just trying to help those looking.

I wouldnt have put them in the "Tier 1" category - arnt they supposed to be dealers with an impressive showroom etc?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

However something has landed this morning…

That does look really good!

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Azuma 9 car was sold out yesterday

I saw it said "sold out" on the picture but then could be pre ordered when you went into it. Now it is nowhere to be seen (on the Hornby site), which is interesting given the previous two are still available (and that the coach pack isn't sold out)!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You've called it right on both…

HSTs don't wear black flatcaps.

NSE50’s don’t wear batman masks.

tbh it feels like much of Hornby's livery research is being done for them on this site today.

in my industry we used to do “bugfests” on code, where everyone stopped their day job for the day, got to play with the “final” pre-release version, and got a bonus for each new bug found, with a mega-ball for the most critical one captured. Occasionally it delayed release, but otherwise teams were “armed” to deal with them. Everyone from finance to support agrees its a good day, as the alternative is the customer calling you with it, at differing levels of stress, threats etc.

I think there might be a lesson to learn there.

2 fifties had black window surrounds on NSE livery, 023 and 026. 

044 wasn't one of them though.:)

http://bescotplus.co.uk/trains/50023_Bescot

http://www.class50.co.uk/50026.htm

• RMweb Premium

The likes of this restriction on Drax wagons does Hornby no real favours,it will push more toward the more open approach newer manufacturors,as has happened in the past some of the shops will hold the items and use the net to enhance the profits selling them themselves.

• Agree 3

38 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That does look really good!

I saw it said "sold out" on the picture but then could be pre ordered when you went into it. Now it is nowhere to be seen, which is interesting given the previous two are still available (and that the coach pack isn't sold out)!

All the new 800 range are available on Kernow for pre order

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JohnR said:

I dont have a problem with Hornby having made these wagons a "Tier 1 exclusive" - just as they and others have had exclusives for other shops, or areas (think of the regional 47s Bachmann did a few years back?). 

The problems are a) not enough have been allocated to cope with demand and b) no one knows for sure who is and isnt a "Tier 1 retailer".

Well, actually, anybody who's been trawling the internet in search of these now knows. If they appeared on a retailer's website (even if fully pre-sold) the dealer is clearly in Tier 1.

Has Hornby have (possibly unthinkingly?) let that cat out of the bag (apologies to A.N. Other thread).:unsure:

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The likes of this restriction on Drax wagons does Hornby no real favours,it will push more toward the more open approach newer manufacturors,as has happened in the past some of the shops will hold the items and use the net to enhance the profits selling them themselves.

The "pre-order before production" approach is looking more attractive by the day. 

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think there must be a billionaire somewhere with a basement full of LNER mk3s given we are on run 3 now with hardly any power cars to go with them.

Run 4 now with the new tooling rake - originally rake of 9 which coincided with the release of the LNER power cars (2019), then a second rake of 7 (2020), then a third rake of 7 (2021), and now another complete rake of 9 (2022) - a whopping 32 coaches in total! That doesn't even include the original rake of 5 coaches which accompanied the release of the VTEC power cars. I suppose at least any of these coaches can be used with either the VTEC (R3393TTS and NRM special R3502 set) or LNER (R3802) power cars (although the recent ones are a slightly different colour to the power cars), but even so I am with you - I am equally baffled why there has been a rake of these coaches produced ever year for the past four years....! Here's to rake 5 in 2023!

• Like 3

I am glad to see Hornby have produced tooling for additional coaches to enable nine car 80x trains to be modelled. Is there any difference in the intermediate vehicles for the 800s versus the 801s/802s? I ask only because I wonder if we might see the missing coaches produced in the future to enable the five car 'Celebrating Scotland' set made into the full length nine car train? Hornby did something a bit similar with the Hitachi test train pack, producing the intermediate coaches at a later date...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

I am glad to see Hornby have produced tooling for additional coaches to enable nine car 80x trains to be modelled. Is there any difference in the intermediate vehicles for the 800s versus the 801s/802s? I ask only because I wonder if we might see the missing coaches produced in the future to enable the five car 'Celebrating Scotland' set made into the full length nine car train? Hornby did something a bit similar with the Hitachi test train pack, producing the intermediate coaches at a later date...

I think I saw on Facebook yesterday that the Scottish one has different coaches to the 801 pack, and so you end up doubling up on one and missing another if you get the coaches to run in that pack. The 801s I think are near identical to 800s from the outside, the 802s have additional coolers on the roof.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think I saw on Facebook yesterday that the Scottish one has different coaches to the 801 pack, and so you end up doubling up on one and missing another if you get the coaches to run in that pack. The 801s I think are near identical to 800s from the outside, the 802s have additional coolers on the roof.

At least in principle that means we might well see a bespoke coach pack for the Scottish set in the future....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

At least in principle that means we might well see a bespoke coach pack for the Scottish set in the future....

I hope so. If I hadn't got 2 Azumas on order already I'd have maybe ordered that 801 and the coach pack. I know it would fit on 2 of my 6 platforms! Might look odd being longer than any of my freight trains though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Still radio silence from Hattons or Rails, I wonder if they are waiting and holding out to see what they get rather than letting people down..?

Rails are not a Hornby stockist and Hattons if I recall correctly are tier 3 so get poor pickings from what is left.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Ollie P Learning OO gauge said:

Does anyone know where the DRAX wagons can be found? Absolutely gutted I missed the kernel slot I had no clue which were tier 1 and so I just missed it completely. 

To give you an idea of the demand for these. We have received requests for 84 of theses wagons today. Every other call was a Drax request, Facebook, email, you guys tried every which way today. One retailer rang me to see if we had any to spare. He didn't know what Tier he was in. Presumed we were Tier 1, we're not.

We didn't even receive any. First I knew about the wagons was via an email request. We have no clue who is in Tier 1, doesn't help people trying to find "specials" like this.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Rails are not a Hornby stockist and Hattons if I recall correctly are tier 3 so get poor pickings from what is left.

I looked on Hatton's earlier, and they haven't yet put any of the 2022 Hornby stuff into their "Recent Additions" section.

Presumably waiting to see if they are going to be getting anything.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JohnR said:

I wouldnt have put them in the "Tier 1" category - arnt they supposed to be dealers with an impressive showroom etc?

From my very brief reading of the rules, it didn't look to me as if they want an impressive showroom to make a shop tier 1, they just want it to be a "proper" model shops (in their view) that offers support to customers, sells across a sufficiently large breadth of the overall Hornby range to keep them happy, and isn't mainly focussed on internet sales.

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

No, only Tier 1 customers.

That's what I thought.

It seems to me that having models that have to be bought througha retailer doesn't fit the "It's all a scheme to get people to buy everything directly from Hornby" view.

• Like 2

Although initial quantities are low for some items, experience shows that where and item is popular it does get re-run. For example 'Rocket'; APT; the Dublo engines; DRS Mk2s. On that basis I would think it a dead cert that the Biomass wagons will get further outings. I do sympathise with retailers having limited orders; but on the other hand having seen the havoc that deep discounting has wrought over the decades as well as the uncertainties over affordability, I can see why the imperative is for items to sell through rather than languish on shelves. Even a few years ago, 2-BILS rapidly fell from £120 to £60 and I remember literally six weeks after release at £165 or so, the Blue Grey VEP being on sale for £99 at one retailer. Given how scarce that version is now (£300+) it seems daft to have had to dump the stock so quickly, an indication of cash flow desperation back then. Hornby under Lyndon Davies appear determined (along with Bachmann) to avoid the race to the bottom on price. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I looked on Hatton's earlier, and they haven't yet put any of the 2022 Hornby stuff into their "Recent Additions" section.

Presumably waiting to see if they are going to be getting anything.

John

They'll probably be able to order the Loram 08........

Just like the Serco and yellow versions of 08417, I'll bet these are around for some time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

30 minutes ago, Coryton said:

It seems to me that having models that have to be bought througha retailer doesn't fit the "It's all a scheme to get people to buy everything directly from Hornby" view.

How many of these models are there though? Doesn't sound like there are many to go at.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, newbryford said:

They'll probably be able to order the Loram 08........

Just like the Serco and yellow versions of 08417, I'll bet these are around for some time.

I'd have thought a GBRF or orange Freightliner one would have been a better seller TBH 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2