Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

If your expecting 2022’s range to be delivered in 2022, your more optimistic than me.

i’ve only just received 2019’s Azuma, this week, and that was due to deliver pre-covid.

November 2019 was the original delivery date IIRC. Having said that, given what little notice they were knocked back I think there must have been a QC issue with livery application or something. I'd rather they turned up right and late than on time and not right.

One thing however that does interest me about the 80Xs, I am presuming the 802 is using the same tooling here is the timings according to Hornby's website.

Due Spring 2022:

R3827 LNER, Hitachi Class 800/1, 'Azuma' Set 800 104 'Celebrating Scotland' Train Pack (announced 2020)

R3908 TPE, Class 802/2 'Nova 1' Train Pack (announced 2022)

R30102 Lumo, Class 803, 803003 Five Car Train Pack (announced 2022)

Due Summer 2022:

R3967 GWR, Class 802/1 Train Pack (announced 2022)

R3965 LNER, Class 801/2 Train Pack (announced 2022)

Due Summer 2023:

R3872 GWR, Class 800, Trainbow Train Pack (announced 2021)

Now that means to me that the tooling is going to be very busy in the short term, and then waits a year for the Trainbow pack that is from last year's range. That is unless the new announcements will be late and cascade through the year or that the Trainbow is a typo and should be summer this year.

EDIT: It appears all are available for order again on the Hornby site.

Also, it looks like Trainbow is at the same prices as the new announcements and they have forgotten to increase the price of Celebrating Scotland on the website.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Is it the top edge of the windscreen thats drooping or just the way the orange stripe line has been painted? On the prototype it looks like the orange stripe should basically meet the top of the windscreen rather than go up and over it. The actual windscreen glass looks like it has a straight edge

It looks to me like the orange stripe is all over the place. If that was a transfer I'd put on, I'd be doing a lot of nudging to straighten it up. As GordonC says, the top edge of the actual windscreen looks straight to me.

I think the moulding line is very prominent though and it would be nice to think Hornby would do something about it. Unlikely, I'd say, but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

I'm pretty happy with my current HST power cars though on the whole.  There is already space in both power cars for sound chips and decent sized speakers, and the couplings have never caused me any issues at all (unlike virtually all other Hornby loco couplings).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

It looks to me like the orange stripe is all over the place. If that was a transfer I'd put on, I'd be doing a lot of nudging to straighten it up.

I have just had a look at mine, I think it is the shape of the dome above the windscreen that is forced into a flat shape across the windscreen that means that printing the line straight will be extremely difficult. If you look at one in the light, the shape just seems a bit strange over there.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TomScrut said:

I have just had a look at mine, I think it is the shape of the dome above the windscreen that is forced into a flat shape across the windscreen that means that printing the line straight will be extremely difficult. If you look at one in the light, the shape just seems a bit strange over there.

I do remember how hard it was to get the various front end stripes even reasonably straight on my version when I resprayed a Swallow-liveried one into the original version of the IC livery.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its interesting that the 2022 stuff is selling out, but the 2019-21 stuff outstanding is not yet.

Maybe the orders are bigger pre-2022 ? - but if its not yet made, you’d have expected an impact there too.

I think there might yet be time for a re-shuffle in quantities mid-summmer.

I think the 2022 Quantities released are very limited , which probably explains it .

As I've said in other threads there are a few nice to haves in there , but a quick check on TMC showed out of stock  and even Hornby Direct out of stock . Within 2 days of launch . What a farce . Frankly I just cant be bothered , I was interested , but there are easier and other things to spend money on . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Waverley West said:

the couplings have never caused me any issues at all (unlike virtually all other Hornby loco couplings).

Agreed - it's the self-centering cam mechanism on all the other Hornby locos (which is now also going to be fitted to the HST power cars, by the looks) that cause the issues for me! They tend to need to be used with a rigid bar coupling, otherwise you get all sorts of issues. And using a rigid bar arrangement between two NEM pockets isn't always trivial given that they aren't always at the same height. At least the Hornby PCs are in the main to be used with the Mark 3 coaches, and I find the revised the Hunt Magnetic couplings (with the side supports to stop the magnet faces separating when going round a corner) for the Mark 3SD coaches work very well. Let's hope these work for the new slam door Mark 3s and power cars but, if not, I'm sure Hunt will be on the case with a bespoke pack.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, centraltrains said:

TPE 802 showing as unavailable right now, does this usually mean sold out?

Last year the BR Class 91 and several of the APT packs went through periods of showing as "unavailable" before being available for pre-order again. Not really sure if it's just issues with the website or additional stock was made available.

Probably worth just keeping an eye on it if it's something you're interested in (or try to pre-order from a retailer).

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

When I posted they were showing as available for pre order, but they keep appearing and disappearing for order on the site.

Is it still pantomime season?

They're in stock

Oh no they aren't

Oh yes they are.......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, Train Fault said:

Great news re the new tooled HST, for such an icon of the modern image its a  much needed and hopefully a fitting tribute to the prototype. From the images and what’s been said, seems a number of issues has been sorted, right down the the wheel sets and much needed coupling upgrades... here’s hoping  two of my bigger bugbears are also addressed with the iconic front end... ugly moulding lines and the droopy roofline.DF2A61DF-7B3A-476C-A9B7-2BE13F25DD1A.jpeg.195ed2ebb9844cb7677ab4c7ef24707c.jpeg

That’s awful! I have to confess that I’ve never really inspected mine that closely as not got around to building the layout yet!

Another reason to get rid of them and hope that Accurascale come to the rescue with a decent one! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, InterCity80s said:

And just after I posted that I noticed that the LNER Coronation Observation Car was no longer showing as "unavailable" so I've pre-ordered one :)

Thanks for that . Yes all showing available now 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I cannot get the image of Simon Kholer as widow Twanky out of my head now,thanks Mick

37 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Thank you for sharing that nightmare! 

Not exactly an ear-worm but I can't forget that image either (mind-worm?).

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been checking the Hornby website several times over the past few days and items are switching between out of stock and in stock, pretty much constantly. Sometimes the listings for the 2022 range go from not showing at all on search results to then showing. So to anyone wanting to pre-order directly from Hornby I wouldn't worry because this appears to be technical issues with the website. I really wish Hornby would sort the website out because it's becoming more and more difficult to try and plan what you want to buy and pre-order when you don't actually know if items are in stock or not. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

One of the ugly sisters?

I hope you are not suggesting that SK's sidekick in the TV programme should take a part with him. If you are, you need some new glasses!

Edited by Chris116
Missing word
  • Funny 2