Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

My OP shows it is a Club Exclusive.

Sorry if my wondering wasn't clear, I meant the fact it is a club exclusive, might be the reasoning for the reduction in price compared to last years Class 90s.

Edited by centraltrains
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, centraltrains said:

It's interesting that the RRP on the class 90 has dropped £20. Current ones being £109.99, the Malcolm one being £89.99 on that picture or £84.98 on the Hornby website.

Why can this loco be dropped in price but not anything else in the range? (At a guess - because it's a club exclusive, maybe they've dropping the margin shops would otherwise make?)

Club exclusive locos are often cheaper than RRP on ordinary releases IIRC (the opposite of Bachmann CC exclusives I might add)

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/01/2022 at 16:12, Simon Bendall said:

The 08s are an odd choice, two are as preserved - the NRM's 13079 and the Great Western Society's 08604 from Didcot which never ran in blue with cast plates in BR service. Then Loram-liveried 08632, which hasn't been at Derby since last April.

You would think that the likes of Railfreight Red Stripe, triple-grey, Provincial or even a Departmental grey re-run would be more useful. Just like the Class 31 situation really.

I was expecting (and hoping) for the new Freightliner G&W Orange on the 08 being as its a new livery.

I might get 08604, i dunno, its not a must have and is expensive.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 19:30, TomScrut said:

I'd have thought a GBRF or orange Freightliner one would have been a better seller TBH 

Or RSS, they can be seen all over the UK working for GBRf and others. for a class that numbered nearly a thousand and carried god knows how many liveries im at a loss as to why Hornby make so few of them, especially as its a good model. They could literally churn them out in different liveries/numbers all year like Lima used to do.

• Like 4

Hmmm, im not left feeling that aroused by the announcements this year from Hornby...

Good to see the 4VEP in SWT livery, i will get one of those as i rode on many of them.... The Southern livery one, probably one of those as well at some point.

Class 50, 50042 yes, probably..... 50044, not a hope in hells chance that will sell, even if they sort the black windows there is still the issue of the white stripe, i think Hornby may well do better in picking a different loco, 50032 in the same livery with its blue 'Courageous' nameplates would no doubt go down well?

.........im struggling to see anything else, i may buy more (such as 08604), but it will only be if the retailers drop the price and i happen to see something whilst having money burning a whole in my pocket...

Once again, feeling 'meh' at Hornbys modern image offerings, so many open goals missed, i shall go and browse the steam era releases, see if anything take my fancy.

• Like 1

Having had a good look through the new releases, the only thing which works for me is the Silver Grey DB 67. The Green DB 66, numbered 66185 looks wrong to me, i thought the only 66 in Green was 66004, 66185 is in DB red ... named DP World London Gateway

66085 is a hybrid DB 66 as well, but its in DB red.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Having had a good look through the new releases, the only thing which works for me is the Silver Grey DB 67. The Green DB 66, numbered 66185 looks wrong to me, i thought the only 66 in Green was 66004, 66185 is in DB red ... named DP World London Gateway

66085 is a hybrid DB 66 as well, but its in DB red.

The 67s are Railroad plus - so ex-Lima mouldings - without lights (?) 

67023 is an odd one as RR plus, seeing that they've already done partner 67027 as a full spec model.

They have got the number wrong on the render for the green DB66 - as you say, it should be 66004

The other (mostly)  green 66 is 66796. (the render in the OP shows it to be numbered correctly.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Thr 67s are Railroad plus - so ex-Lima mouldings - without lights (?) 

67023 is an odd one as RR plus, seeing that they've already done partner 67027 as a full spec model.

The other (mostly)  green 66 is 66796. (the render in the OP shows it to be numbered correctly.

6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Thr 67s are Railroad plus - so ex-Lima mouldings - without lights (?) 

The green 66 i saw in the list of items wasnt the GBRf HS2 one, it was the DB Climate Hero one, but with the wrong number ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

The green 66 i saw in the list of items wasnt the GBRf HS2 one, it was the DB Climate Hero one, but with the wrong number ...

Yeah - I missed a bit out and added it as an edit.

• Like 1

Well, I have been waiting for the newly tooled HST to appear in fGW "fag packet" livery ever since the HST was retooled (and, in fact, I was waiting for it in the old tooling as well!) so you can imagine that I am a happy chappy! I had just about given up on ever getting one.  It looks like my planned Penzance-based scenario circa 2001 has got a bit of life in it after all!

Also, I couldn't figure out why neither Hattons nor Rails had anything about the 2022 Hornby range, but having read through many pages in this thread I know now, at least in part - so much knowledge on here!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/01/2022 at 13:43, Scottish-Exile said:

Agreed. Totally disenchanted with Hornby, not that I was much of a fan beforehand.

I would have been in the market for a further 20 Drax wagons. But having made dozens of calls and finding that even the Tier 1 suppliers had only been allocated 8 of each, and were then restricting to just 1 per customer, I decided to give up the chase.

This to me is really bizarre. Hornby's modus operandi is to sell lots of products to people to make a profit / reduce it's deficit. So restricting it's top tier retailers to just eight wagons each seems ever so slightly bonkers to me, particularly when 20 make up one train.  So they cannot even supply one train per customer.   All I can say is those competitors over in Ireland and Barwell etc must be absolutely howling at the business incompetency displayed here. 

• Agree 10

11 hours ago, newbryford said:

The 67s are Railroad plus - so ex-Lima mouldings - without lights (?) 

I have a 67 which, I think, was one of the last Lima products. It has a central motor and lights, although only the two lower lights, not the one above the cab window. If this is a Railroad model, I suspect it will be based on the older Lima model without lights and a single powered bogie. 

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I have a 67 which, I think, was one of the last Lima products. It has a central motor and lights, although only the two lower lights, not the one above the cab window. If this is a Railroad model, I suspect it will be based on the older Lima model without lights and a single powered bogie. 

I can't see why as the Limby version always had a central motor, to do anything else would require Hornby retooling what they have.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, frobisher said:

I can't see why as the Limby version always had a central motor, to do anything else would require Hornby retooling what they have.

Doesn't Hornby have both the ex-Limby model and their own superdetailed tooling for Class 67s?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 15/01/2022 at 22:32, GEARJAMMER said:

Or RSS, they can be seen all over the UK working for GBRf and others. for a class that numbered nearly a thousand and carried god knows how many liveries im at a loss as to why Hornby make so few of them, especially as its a good model. They could literally churn them out in different liveries/numbers all year like Lima used to do.

I’ve been waiting for RSS standard liverg too so slightly disappointed to not see it this time round. 
I know 08632 is technically an RSS loco but it’s Loram livery pretty much limits it use.

Hopefully Bachmann will oblige… 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frobisher said:

Indeed, and the Limby version also has a central can motor and always did when re-released by Hornby.

And it always had a central can motor as released by Lima - this was one of Lima’s last throw of the dice, supposedly a model which pushed back the boundaries. For info, Lima made eight versions of the loco, all in EWS livery: 001-005, 013, 025 and 030. When Hornby rereleased it, they upgraded to a different can motor with improved performance, and improved lighting arrangement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

And it always had a central can motor as released by Lima - this was one of Lima’s last throw of the dice, supposedly a model which pushed back the boundaries. For info, Lima made eight versions of the loco, all in EWS livery: 001-005, 013, 025 and 030. When Hornby rereleased it, they upgraded to a different can motor with improved performance, and improved lighting arrangement.

Hornby also made the internals more secure, the Lima models were known for dislodging drive shafts, I had a few I had to put back into place when they arrived!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Apologies if this question has already been asked.

I’m interested in the Rail Adventure power car set but I’d like to know if they have the top marker light modification? 

Are there any other images available (other than the 2 side on) to confirm either way? 

Kind regards.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 23:03, adb968008 said:

Well it kind of is a 4 car train, plus a loco, if you consider that back pack thingy in the middle.

I guess so, but will it have the same amount of detail as this:

Roco_73234_41113_L.jpg.021c06432da68fb518b6eb58ee6a5616.jpg

Photo doesn't quite do it justice.  The pack I bought was 4 coaches, 1 DVT, 1 loco.

But then I posed this question a while back - Do modern units have less detail?

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

But with people willing to spend that much per year on models... no wonder prices are rising significantly.

on the other hand, people willing to spend could be the backbone of the economy ?

F7BB5393-88D4-488A-B656-18E058DA0CAD.jpeg.b0c9dfaaee83bfa819f4320cfed45eed.jpeg

Afterall the RRP of a new Bachmann 90 (£229) is higher than the Roco Vectron (239 Euro / £200), and if people didn't buy them, then companies wouldn't make them, and that means costs rise on those models that they do make ?

(the 90 is of course a respray and the painting price is a premium on-top of the purchase price).

A98A0946-FFBC-4ADD-9960-520D4395ECA3.jpeg.e49078db57a076f524263f93ec2c0c48.jpeg

which is maybe why Roco has risked to make one, but Bachmann has not, as yet..maybe their economy has more backbone, less trade barriers etc, making it cheaper to produce ?

(It has sold out now at Roco).

https://www.roco.cc/en/product/245341-0-0-0-0-0-0-002002-0/products.html

It could also explain Hornbys price rises (and anecdotal suggestions of less supply in 2022).

ABEAB9F2-BAC5-40BD-B555-9ADA806E9576.jpeg.777c38514f583fcbef6bae1edb9cec21.jpeg

The Roco Vectron was supplied from Germany, EU tax free, but UK duty applied, it arrived at the honoured original 2021 discount price, something UK retailers are prevented from doing by some UK manufacturers, it has been suggested.

It cost £162 all in with taxes and fedex’s fee… avout the same as Accurascales class 55.

The Class 90 is a Rainbow Railways respray, £280.
https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/product/Bachmann-class-90-db-cargo-90039-backbone-livery/

First release class 90’s can be sourced circa £140-180. Next release class 90’s are from £188.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1