Goods yard layout, levels and and surfacing

When planning a model railway it's always tempting to try and squeeze in as much track as possible, such as cramming sidings into goods yards.

I was just looking through my copy of the 'Cheshire Lines Railway Handbook of Stations' and found that it included a nice plan of Cornbrook goods yard, a middle-sized yard:

CLC_1927_Cornbrook.jpg.e47f45da7a343c94dca13e3a39395a9f.jpg

This nicely shows the typical arrangement of sidings laid in pairs with plenty of space between them to allow road vehicles to manouevre and park alongside the wagons.

This example also has road access from both ends to reduce the need for road vehicles to turn round.

It also shows different road surfaces in different areas (for example the coal sidings are 'paved' rather than 'metalled'). I imagine that 'paved' would be surfaced with cobbles or setts while 'metalled' might just be gravel or perhaps tarmac?

Other facilities such as the loading docks, cattle pens, cranes, weighbridge etc are also shown. The scissors crossover is surprising but might be a useful prototype for everything?

The same place can also be seen on this map, in the top left corner.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/126522857

This map is a few years later and shows extra sidings laid on the north side of the yard (but not on the south side as indicated in dashes on the plan above).

I just thought this might be of interest to some.

Mol

• Like 7