Hornby 2022 - Wagons

AY Mod

• AY Mod pinned this topic

Nice selection of intermodal wagons, boxes and tanks.

£25 for a coalfish is good value too, even better in the bundle of 3 wagons. Good timing for the  Accurascale version coming soon too.

6 minutes ago, KDG said:

Nice selection of intermodal wagons, boxes and tanks.

£25 for a coalfish is good value too, even better in the bundle of 3 wagons. Good timing for the  Accurascale version coming soon too.

Looks like Hornby are using their older, taller MHA bodies with the wider footsteps.

13 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Looks like Hornby are using their older, taller MHA bodies with the wider footsteps.

You may be right. Not so good then. Why would they do that when they have the proper tooling?

30 minutes ago, KDG said:

You may be right. Not so good then. Why would they do that when they have the proper tooling?

I'm hoping it's just the image that's wrong.

The price is still a bit steep. A 3 pack is £72.99 for the old Hornby model vs £74.95 for the latest Accurascale version (less 10% if you buy 2+).

Edited by scottrains29
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, scottrains29 said:

I'm hoping it's just the image that's wrong.

The price is still a bit steep. A 3 pack is £72.99 for the old Hornby model vs £74.99 for the latest Accurascale version (less 10% if you buy 2+).

Hope so. Remember 72.99 is the rrp. The discounters will sell for less...

5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nothing like the Accurascale wagons though. They're NE Chaldrons.

These are based on the paintings of the L&MR and I don't even think they were for coal. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POSTCARD-LIVERPOOL-MANCHESTER-RAILWAY-GOODS-CARRIAGES-/192879760391

Jason

Cheesy was referring to the MHA coalfish wagons as I understand it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dan Bennett said:

Ridiculous that they think they can charge over £30 for the VDA and Ferryvans with that prehistoric underframe 

Probably less expensive than Bachmann VDA which might be the critical factor here . 

But is that the Lima GUV at £48.49  . Who would have thought that back in the early 80s .  Just noticed same price as the recently developed Southern GUV . 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

This looks like a reaction to accurascale releases. Priced just below theirs. Thanks Hornby but no thanks.

I would excuse anyone for thinking that Hornby do not know Accurascale exist to be frank.  The Hornby 2022 new tooled wagons  - a Loriot, maybe, and a load of prehistoric L&M vehicles which I definitely won't buy, whereas in 2021 I bought twelve AS wagons, and would buy many more if I could afford it. 

The Hornby TV series of documentaries were all about Hornby getting back into profitability, but they do not seem to have grasped anything from their industry competitors about making money from models.  It is all about glossy pacifics, pretty passenger coaches and a couple of oddball wagons of novelty interest.  Simple example of my own. I don't particularly want a Loriot although I have a Cambrian kit.  I do however want some transition era gunpoweder vans, so Rapido got the order - simples. 

Come on Simon, it is not all about gimmicks like real steam, nether is it exclusively about big wheeler glossy pacifics. Look around and see what you competitors are producing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

In the main, same old same old - ancient 20th Century models at 21st Century prices.

Wagons sell in multiples, and yet they still don't have decent, accurate models of the most basic range of wagons.

Why do they think that the wagon kit market exists - because the RTR sector won't invest in the most basic of wagon provision.

Pathetic!

CJI.

• Agree 7

5 minutes ago, 90164 said:

Imagine if the released a Hall but labelled it as a Black Five?

They would - if they thought that they could get away with it !!

Hornby don't care about authenticity in wagons - they figure that they've got enough of a market with the 'if it's got a wheel at each corner I don't really care' brigade.

CJI.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

the Loriot Y WELTROL WP ? There were only two of them and unlike other GWR wagons https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrloriotlowmac/ecd70e6b

One of the VDA has a fictitous number, the other https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brvda/ed50e07f

31 minutes ago, 90164 said:

The LMS conflat is nothing like the real thing, which were highly distinctive. What you've got is a GWR/BR wagon masquerading as an LMS wagon. Imagine if the released a Hall but labelled it as a Black Five?

Nor is it anything like a BR Conflat with that running number - by then they had clasp brake rigging!

Hasn't Bertie been in their range before? https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsbrakevan/e41aa0c8

Just pleased I model in 7mm. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, 90164 said:

The LMS conflat is nothing like the real thing, which were highly distinctive. What you've got is a GWR/BR wagon masquerading as an LMS wagon. Imagine if the released a Hall but labelled it as a Black Five?

I wonder if you've looked at the same image as me. The illustration of the BR/GWR Conflat A shows the distinctive chain pocket, and a continuous curb-rail surrounding the floor. The LMS one has no chain pockets, and had a gap in the curb-rail, allowing access to the side doors of the container.

3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I wonder if you've looked at the same image as me. The illustration of the BR/GWR Conflat A shows the distinctive chain pocket, and a continuous curb-rail surrounding the floor. The LMS one has no chain pockets, and had a gap in the curb-rail, allowing access to the side doors of the container.

That's what the anonymous 90164 was getting at, its wrong and he said so. 

Paul

• Like 1