Hornby 2022 - Wagons

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Even as a N gauge modeller for the last 30 odd years, I still look in at larger scales announcements, but I'm always surprised by Hornby's ability to churn out old tooling wagons at eye watering prices.  I guess there's still a market for them?!

Railfreight red/grey SSA as a Christmas tree carrier!  Whatever next?

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Banger Blue said:

I remember ‘“Bertie the Brakevan” from my teenage TrainSpotting days around Chester, happy to see this, I’ll definitely have one of these!

CEDCFCD0-B3EA-4440-AE37-5875AA8CE3D9.jpeg.b7f0a98391a67e99f09c7e2c6a7a6175.jpeg

Yes, definately on my list.

Shouldn't the duckets be black however as per the picture in this thread?

Any idea when this brake van was withdrawn other than early/mid 80s?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Legend said:

But is that the Lima GUV at £48.49  . Who would have thought that back in the early 80s .  Just noticed same price as the recently developed Southern GUV . 

It certainly is in the livery renders, and if it was new tooling you would think it would be advertised as such... so I think it probably is just the old Lima model which has had its price updated to modern standards.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

You do have to wonder if the Trout is ever going to get a new run. :scratchhead:

Especially as it 's one of the few Hornby wagons that come close to 21st Century standards!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

Yes, definately on my list.

Shouldn't the duckets be black however as per the picture in this thread?

Any idea when this brake van was withdrawn other than early/mid 80s?

Yes, your right. The photos I’ve seen on Flickr, the duckets are black. A comment on one of the photos suggests that the van was replaced in 1987 by a ‘Queen Mary’’ van.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

You do have to wonder if the Trout is ever going to get a new run. :scratchhead:

And the 21T hoppers - huge potential market there I would have thought with the HTV and rebuilds.

Neil 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

In the main, same old same old - ancient 20th Century models at 21st Century prices.

Wagons sell in multiples, and yet they still don't have decent, accurate models of the most basic range of wagons.

Why do they think that the wagon kit market exists - because the RTR sector won't invest in the most basic of wagon provision.

Pathetic!

CJI.

On the plus side, the existence of the wagon kit market means that the fun of kit building wagons can be had.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 2

I saw Hornby Magazine mentioned a new run of the Drax Biomass wagons for tier 1 retailers, but no mention here. There’s also nothing on Hornby’s website as of yet. Anyone know any more info on this and, where I can find out who tier 1 retailers are please?

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, NTrains said:

I saw Hornby Magazine mentioned a new run of the Drax Biomass wagons for tier 1 retailers, but no mention here. There’s also nothing on Hornby’s website as of yet. Anyone know any more info on this and, where I can find out who tier 1 retailers are please?

Thank you.

If you go to the Diesel/Electric thread, you'll find them for some weird reason. Available to pre-order from Kernow

10 hours ago, Covkid said:

Come on Simon, it is not all about gimmicks like real steam, nether is it exclusively about big wheeler glossy pacifics. Look around and see what you competitors are producing.

Something tells me he’s been doing that to a fair degree;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jamescav95 said:

If you go to the Diesel/Electric thread, you'll find them for some weird reason. 

Apologies, dropped them in the wrong place. Will amend tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 13:03, AY Mod said:

Slide183.JPG

One thing I have noticed here is R60076. How are Hornby able to produce and sell a decorated wagon for £7.49 yet charge £20.00+ for older tooling alongside it? It's not the most accurate item but would be great to flood the Railroad range with.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, ColinK said:

I like the Christmas tree wagon, brings a bit of fun to the layout at exhibitions. 

I made something rather like that a few years ago. A bit crude, but it didn't cost very much (cheap second hand wagon, tree, and some paint...)

(I need to straighten out that light though).

image.png.d9a481e65b864a0a0ead0e7948dbc807.png

• Like 4

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

One thing I have noticed here is R60076. How are Hornby able to produce and sell a decorated wagon for £7.49 yet charge £20.00+ for older tooling alongside it? It's not the most accurate item but would be great to flood the Railroad range with.

Volume.

• Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

I appreciate they might shift more of this type/decoration, but I can’t see it being that many to knock the price that much. Just stands out alongside all of the other prices.

I would guess that the "roadshow" wagon counts as a promotional item mostly for shows, they tend to put those out pretty cheap. I remember a few years back they were selling 0-4-0s on their show stand for a fiver each.

• Like 1

I see the painters ran out of ice blue before reaching the bottom of the insulfish wagons again - did anyone ever find a picture of a wagon actually carrying such a livery?  Its nice to see some lettering variation since the first run of ice blue ones, but its hard to understand why they would carry forward the white bufferbeams.