Hornby 2022 - Wagons

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 64F said:

I see the painters ran out of ice blue before reaching the bottom of the insulfish wagons again - did anyone ever find a picture of a wagon actually carrying such a livery?  Its nice to see some lettering variation since the first run of ice blue ones, but its hard to understand why they would carry forward the white bufferbeams.

Yes I noticed that too, and no, no-one ever has found the photo that shows that livery. And they are unlikely ever to in my opinion. There are enough colour photos of fish vans around to show that they were either white or ice blue in fish traffic, and why would you model the one with a weird paint job, if it even exists, when all the other evidence points to all over ice blue? It really is quite frustrating, and they'll be in the bargain bin again before long.

• Like 2

It is good to see the KFA being featured in the range again (several variations this year), and I am very much liking the separate container packs that Hornby have started to do. I think this is the third year that they have done these now. I thought that the first year (2020) had a bit of an odd selection of containers, and with the exception of the ONE containers I am yet to see one in the flesh (certainly not been on any of the many container trains that run through Oxford that I have seen), but last year they were much more recognizable with the inclusion of P&O, Evergreen, Nedlloyd and MSC. Good to see that has continued this year and a ubiquitous Maersk liveried container is also included here. I'll be having a few packs of them!

My word, what has happened to my life, I'm dissecting my thoughts on small plastic box models of much larger and very boring metal boxes...... nurse, can I get some more of my tablets? :senile:

• Like 3

On 10/01/2022 at 12:26, hmrspaul said:

the Loriot Y WELTROL WP ? There were only two of them and unlike other GWR wagons https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrloriotlowmac/ecd70e6b

22 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Yes, two of them - the other from Rapido, so part of the Titfield malarkey.

As you say, part of the whole Titfield malarkey, but otherwise one of the most pointless pieces of duplication ever- still it's not often you get a choice of opportunities to buy the entire fleet of a wagon in one go....!

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

It is good to see the KFA being featured in the range again (several variations this year), and I am very much liking the separate container packs that Hornby have started to do. I think this is the third year that they have done these now. I thought that the first year (2020) had a bit of an odd selection of containers, and with the exception of the ONE containers I am yet to see one in the flesh (certainly not been on any of the many container trains that run through Oxford that I have seen), but last year they were much more recognizable with the inclusion of P&O, Evergreen, Nedlloyd and MSC. Good to see that has continued this year and a ubiquitous Maersk liveried container is also included here. I'll be having a few packs of them!

My word, what has happened to my life, I'm dissecting my thoughts on small plastic box models of much larger and very boring metal boxes...... nurse, can I get some more of my tablets? :senile:

Different shipping lines use different ports, hence you not seeing most of the containers from the 2020 releases, which probably originated in Southampton ; were you to go to somewhere like Bletchley, you might fill in the gaps from trains originating from Felixstowe, London Gateway etc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Different shipping lines use different ports, hence you not seeing most of the containers from the 2020 releases, which probably originated in Southampton ; were you to go to somewhere like Bletchley, you might fill in the gaps from trains originating from Felixstowe, London Gateway etc.

I would have liked to see more containers in the livery of well known brands, eg Tesco, Asda (the regular freight traffic in this part of the world), even if its not strictly accurate for the model Hornby produce.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I would have liked to see more containers in the livery of well known brands, eg Tesco, Asda (the regular freight traffic in this part of the world), even if its not strictly accurate for the model Hornby produce.

Don't Bachmann do the ASDA ones and Dapol the TESCO though?

Maybe they have the rights to them. It's something that the manufacturers need to be wary of.

I believe it's also one of the reasons the Hattons container wagons didn't come with containers.

Jason

• Like 1

The wagon release is pretty poor really, the MHA's are just a run for production so they can use the tooling before Accurascale release there much better version for a similar price. The KFA runs have been done to the death now surely if they release more next year then I think they will struggle to sell them. I find myself more excited about the container packs, the tank trainers are a good idea and the others have a good range now but people like Dapol and c-rail have been doing these for a while so it's jumping on the bandwagon for Hornby.

As a modern image modeller that's really it for me with the exception of the Drax biomass wagons, which I'll have a few of those before they hit ebay stupidity prices and then hope they do some more next year. Everything else just looks like old tooling's in new colours and on some without the effort of even fitting new couplings and using the old large D couplings. Just a bit poor other than the new L&MR wagons which could be good for those that fit that era...

Edited by XChris
Spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Don't Bachmann do the ASDA ones and Dapol the TESCO though?

Maybe they have the rights to them. It's something that the manufacturers need to be wary of.

I believe it's also one of the reasons the Hattons container wagons didn't come with containers.

Jason

Could be part of an "Inspired by" range of wagons!

But seriously, a fun part of my train set when I was a kid was having wagons with well known high street names, even if they wernt that prototypical. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

But seriously, a fun part of my train set when I was a kid was having wagons with well known high street names, even if they wernt that prototypical. 

The problem with the TESCO ones is it's Eddie Stobart.

They will sue you if you use their name. They're quite well known for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

I recall reading an article on that subject. Apparently in those days, negotiation pretty much consisted of approaching the company and saying, "So can we use your brand on our wagons?" And usually the answer was "yes."

• Like 1

Only three pages of discussion so far. We're clearly not that enthused by the wagons, are we.

I do quite like the Era 1 wagons. I know they're probably not hugely prototypical, but I might get a pack or two to go with my Rocket and the Rapido Lion I've got on pre-order. It would make a nice side-project, just a simple working diorama set in the Victorian era. Nothing complex, no signalling, pointwork or anything else that might require actual effort to research and construct, just a scenic oval of track to run trains on.

As for the later-Era stuff, though, I'm reminded again why I can't remember the last time I bought a new Hornby wagon for either my current project or its predecessor. I'm not even sure I can remember the last time I bought a second-hand one either, for that matter.

• Agree 2

Enthused ? simply no !! price on all  , poor ancient mouldings and or quality and fictious liveries on others.

They have ignore the excellent ex LNER Hoppers , LNER Trout Ballast wagons, SR Cattle wagons and Various Companies Brake vans all of which are far better than the vast majority of current releases and these 2023/4 ?? issues.

10 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Only three pages of discussion so far. We're clearly not that enthused by the wagons, are we.

Some of us are.   :)

But I tend to build my own from kits with only the occasional purchase of the better quality RTR wagons. Of the ones listed above I honestly can't see much that is of personal interest. Maybe the LMS brakes (one purely for sentimental reasons) and the GBL.

Maybe the L&MR stock, but I really want the locos to run as they were in the 1980s rather than the 1830s. So they are more in the "nice to have" category.

Also don't forget there is still quite a lot of stuff that is delayed.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MarkSG said:

They don't have any quality new wagons in the era I want except a Loriot and I've already got the rival on order. If they made the 21T ex-PO rivetted mineral with a decent underframe I would get about 6.

Likewise the Palethorpes van, I need a fleet with a proper underframe and correct length, not forgetting the LMS and GWR one were different. They already have a 50ft chassis which could be used for the standard bogie vans, corridor vans and cream van

• Like 1

R60176 Hornby OO Gauge Drax Biomass Wagon Pack 1, 83 70 0698 012-7 - Era 11 (Tier 1 Customer Exclusive)  and pack 2  would love to order some but how does the customer know who a Tier 1  customer exclusive is ? .  I think this company going backwards.  This why the company running at a loss as people can find where to order the items from and i look on the website and cant on there either poor 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MarkSG said:

As for the later-Era stuff, though, I'm reminded again why I can't remember the last time I bought a new Hornby wagon for either my current project or its predecessor. I'm not even sure I can remember the last time I bought a second-hand one either, for that matter.

Absolutely, my main modelling interest is Southern Region transition era and whilst Hornby have produced more suitable locos and coaches then I can afford wagon purchases have been almost exclusively Bachmann, save for a couple of brake vans.

• RMweb Premium

Are Hornby going to let us into the secret as to which shops are in their 'tier one'? So far I have only found a couple who have sold out and one who is selling for £30 above the RRP which should in my opinion make them a good candidate for being put in tier four if Hornby had any morals, which we have recently found out they may be somewhat lacking in.

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

..... the Palethorpes van, I need a fleet with a proper underframe and correct length, not forgetting the LMS and GWR one were different. They already have a 50ft chassis which could be used for the standard bogie vans, corridor vans and cream van

So did I - so I cut-and-shut them from Hornby body mouldings and kit / RTR chassis.

Not at all difficult - I posted a thread here - and I can supply the transfers.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

They don't have any quality new wagons in the era I want except a Loriot and I've already got the rival on order. If they made the 21T ex-PO rivetted mineral with a decent underframe I would get about 6.

Likewise the Palethorpes van, I need a fleet with a proper underframe and correct length, not forgetting the LMS and GWR one were different. They already have a 50ft chassis which could be used for the standard bogie vans, corridor vans and cream van

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

So did I - so I cut-and-shut them from Hornby body mouldings and kit / RTR chassis.

Not at all difficult - I posted a thread here - and I can supply the transfers.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

28 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I already bought the transfers from you and am collecting donor parts so will probably beat Hornby or anyone else to making them.

Yes.  I really need to send you an order John for the Palethorpes vehicle transfers and the Cambrian Herring 

5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Yes.  I keep thinking about the West Midlands Joint 21 tonners, particularly after Mike Hollick told me about a 1951 empty flow from Ironbridge to Wednesbury, to connect onto a Wednesbury - Wichnr trip- presumably off to get some East Midlands coal to burn in Shropshire

Rather sparse this year, but a few things stand out.

First off those VDA remind me to go and pick up more of the Bachmann model as I can get those for around £28 still, so I'll top up while I still can.

The MHA makes me wonder if Hornby has missed a trick in their bully the small guy tactics...where are the multiple triple packs of HAA to go with them? They could have Accurascale AND Cavalex in one hit. Tsk tsk Hornby, you're slipping.

The L&M coal wagons...How many tenders do you want for your Rocket? I've seen this before somewhere...

• Funny 2

On 14/01/2022 at 11:00, Zunnan said:

Rather sparse this year, but a few things stand out.

First off those VDA remind me to go and pick up more of the Bachmann model as I can get those for around £28 still, so I'll top up while I still can.

The MHA makes me wonder if Hornby has missed a trick in their bully the small guy tactics...where are the multiple triple packs of HAA to go with them? They could have Accurascale AND Cavalex in one hit. Tsk tsk Hornby, you're slipping.

The L&M coal wagons...How many tenders do you want for your Rocket? I've seen this before somewhere...

The photos of the MHA's they're releasing this year are of the first body style of the model, which afaik, was fictitious. Wierd as they have the later, better moulding, which they could have used. I might have bought some of those, but none of the older style at all.

On 14/01/2022 at 11:00, Zunnan said:

The MHA makes me wonder if Hornby has missed a trick in their bully the small guy tactics...where are the multiple triple packs of HAA to go with them? They could have Accurascale AND Cavalex in one hit. Tsk tsk Hornby, you're slipping

No, they haven't missed a trick. They announced many HAA type wagons, singly and in packs of three last year that have yet to arrive. They should arrive this year, in time for the Accurascale and Cavalex ones. Hornby will have to slash prices for them to sell though.

I am surprised by the lack of a class 56. Even last year's ones have been delayed. Hopefully they'll do and HST style upgrade. If they fix the few main issues with the model (eg include flush roof grills, motorised fans, 21pin etc) then it'll provide reasonable competition to the Cavalex model.

The Hornby 56 is a good model and the cab detail is far better than newer Hornby models. Eg, their 67 and 87 models are rubbish with just a wrongly-coloured moulded plastic piece. The 56 has a fully detailed and painted cab interior with dials and levers picked out, fire extinguisher, opening doors, separate seats and detailed bulkhead as with their class 60 and other good Hornby models of that time.

I'm really hoping their new class 91 is to this standard, rather than the poor class 67/87 standard.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1