Hornby 2022 - Coaching stock

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, beancounter said:

the BR 6 wheel departmental coaches in maroon are shown as era 7 and 8 respectively - does that seem right ?

I'd be surprised if red six-wheelers survived even in Departmental use as late as either.

Maybe Era 6, but only just, and Olive green by then?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

The Coronation set is nice if not a bit niche. They'e missed a trick,it must be about time for Hornby to produce a Gresley LNER Third Open to complement their current range.  Thrid Opens were almost the most prolific type yet modellers have no RTR option. Perhaps it is time Accurascale or Bachmann brought out a range of Gresley Coaches.

• Agree 3

The Coronation was I set I'd expressed a wish for a few years ago, probably in anticipation of a significant anniversary

of the train's introduction, so that's really welcome. I hope that the vehicles' post-war careers have been considered,

but even if tooling wasn't amended, I'd be up for a set in BR Maroon - to run The Talisman as BR ought to have done!

Mind you, the recent TV series left me less than impressed by the knowledge of Hornby's researchers in railway and

aero engineering in general. Perhaps the stuff that would reassure me was considered just too boring for the cameras?

The Nim.

1 minute ago, Steve51769 said:

Perhaps it is time Accurascale or Bachmann brought out a range of Gresley Coaches.

Don't forget Rapido! But Hornby's could easily be bettered, due to their compromised body shape. As a

consequence, I have only one example, when my interests suggest I should have at least a couple of

dozen. I hope they don't blunder similarly with The Coronation set!

The Nim.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 06/01/2022 at 13:32, AY Mod said:

Slide223.JPG

I'm intrigued by the ex-LNWR arc-roof corridor carriage in the background. Presumably the photo was taken when the carriages were ex-works, so in mid-1937, at Doncaster? Presumably this is one of the carriages transferred to the M&GN by the LMS in 1935, being then transferred to the LNER in 1936. It looks as if it might be in all-over brown rather than fully-lined LMS red. It's a shame Hornby aren't making a model of that but at least there's the Ratio kit!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pheaton said:

Surprised there are no executive or swallow mk3s.

I initially thought the same … likewise no IC Exec upgraded HST Power Cars (as these go for silly money on a certain auction site).

However, I have a suspicion part of the thinking is as there are still quite a few Mk3 old tooling IC liveried coaches still available in retail at the moment, also a significant chunk of the 2021 range was for the IC liveried era … then the 2022 strategy is targeting other MK3 liveries first, before moving onto the IC liveried MK3 re-tooled carriages in the future; hopefully 2023!

I also wonder if Hornby are also mindful that Oxford Rail have ‘modern tooling’ IC and BR Blue/Grey MK3’s available (albeit loco-hauled and with some flaws).

As Simon said during his presentation, he’s always keen to hear ideas for the future. I’m not too disappointed that today’s announcement doesn’t include retooled MK3s or HST in IC Exec/IC swallow … gives me a chance to pay-off plenty of the 2021 range pre-order items still to arrive! Hopefully they’ll be in a future range (I might drop Simon an email to remind him when the dust settles) … although it does leave Hornby a little bit exposed if a competitor has developed a super-duper-cheaper-quick-to-market HST/MK3 in popular liveries.

• RMweb Gold

i never understood why oxford didnt release one from the get go.....and as far as im aware...the new hst just consists of a powered fan (dammit Bachmann look what you have started) and a newer coupling 21pin and improved lighting....i dont believe it's a retool

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally some retooled Mk3s. I will probably have to wait until 2023 for blue/grey, exec and swallow liveries but it is good news. I may even have a layout by then and my power cars will have something to haul :)

The LSWR 6-wheelers look great and they'll go nicely with my set of 4-wheelers Hornby did last year. With eight coaches, I might be approaching an actual prototypical rake for a passenger locomotive! I wonder if the wheel friction issue will be any better with these?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GNR Dave said:

Very pleased to see the Coronation set.

Were these repainted Silver Jubilee stock or new builds for the Coronation ? Might we expect 'silver versions in the future ?

As micklner replied, they are different to the original Silver Jubilee set in many ways. There were two complete 'Coronation' sets with Observation Cars, all branded 'Coronation', the 'West Riding' set, identical but without the Observation Car and obviously branded 'West Riding', and a spare set, identical the the previous three but lacking any branding. That offers Hornby future scope for 3 additional sets before moving into the Crimson & Cream repaints. By this time the sets were divided and allocated to a number of different services; one subset remained on the 'West Riding' and another formed the 'Fife Coast Express' (see Railway Observer 1948 p100). As has been noted, the fire at Huntingdon destroyed one Twin (1737 & 1738 from the spare set) and led to additional doors being inserted into the middle of most of the remaining Twins.

From a detail and realism point of view, the rendition of the stainless steel trims, letters and numbers could also make or break these models.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

36 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

Finally some retooled Mk3s. I will probably have to wait until 2023 for blue/grey, exec and swallow liveries but it is good news. I may even have a layout by then and my power cars will have something to haul :)

Hopefully the rumoured and, no doubt, far superior competing HST will have been announced by then! 

I hope the retooled Mk3s, if ex-Oxford, have been beefed up and are less fragile.  I also hope Hornby do the four bay TRSB used on Cross Country sets when built - potentially just as useful as the three bay first.

There again if the crystal ball gazers, who have been pretty accurate this year, are correct that "a rival" has an HST incoming, hopefully that will have a TRSB, blue-grey, IC exec, IC swallow...

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I hope the retooled Mk3s, if ex-Oxford, have been beefed up and are less fragile.  I also hope Hornby do the four bay TRSB used on Cross Country sets when built - potentially just as useful as the three bay first.

There again if the crystal ball gazers, who have been pretty accurate this year, are correct that "a rival" has an HST incoming, hopefully that will have a TRSB, blue-grey, IC exec, IC swallow...

They are HST Mk3s and are retooled so I really doubt that will ex Oxford as that would not be a retool nor a HST Mk3.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Agree 1

Re HST Trailers - do the underframe shape/profile and bogies look the same on the Hornby images of the slam door as they do on the sliding door? If so, new tool Hornby. If different, Hornby modified Oxford rail tool. We shall wait and see what the final product is.

However bear in mind that the Oxford tooling would need modifying in a number of ways, and once you've covered the cost of these tool slides, and given much of the CAD work for the sliding doors (to say nothing of any interchangable parts like bogies from the SD vehicles), you might as well start again.

Re Coronation - WONDERFUL announcement. I was going to predict/hope for one in the pre-announcement thread, but too busy.

Can only justify 1729 as a preservation modeller (and hope for 1719 in rebuilt form, if the tooling allows for this in future...?!).

But an absolute must for me, for both display and operation. Very excited.

What chance unlike the Devon Belle car, there will be an option for an observation-end coupling to enable shunting and heritage-like obo-to-engine operations? Failing that hopefully not a difficult mod. No need for a CCM at observation end as no corridors, but might help standardise parts/bogies.

Coronation set as a whole good choice. As noted above, two coronation rakes can be modelled, as can West Riding and spare vehicles. So that gives 4 possible numberings. plus post-water liveries for the vehicles.

Ditto the Observation Cars ran in their original condition in BR livery before rebuilding.

And, as appears not to have been noted by Hornby(!), its the 85th anniversary of the Coronation entering service in 2022

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

They are HST Mk3s and are retooled so I really doubt that will ex Oxford as that would not be a retool nor a HST Mk3.

Except Oxford had committed to making HST trailers, so if Hornby have just picked up the cads and Oxford's factory slots, they could be an Oxford product but still class as a retool, because when Hornby retool, I doubt very much if any of the old model tools survive.  I hope, if they are the Oxford planned HST trailers, they've sorted the scale discrepancies present in the loco hauled stock but more importantly have beefed up their construction.  The mention of body mounted couplings is concerning as this was one of the Oxford range's most fragile and frustrating parts of their design.  Getting into the coaches more or less guaranteed the coupling cam spring flying off into the wide blue yonder.

• Agree 1