Hornby 2022 - Coaching stock

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Is there anyone who really needs more LNER Mk3’s ?

I make it the third set of LNER mk3’s (4 if you consider VTEC which are the same thing)…

Only 1 LNER HST to go with them.. 

Anyways thumbs up on the Coronation coaches.

Glad to fill some gaps in my EMT coaches (like hen’s teeth), may doa couple as EMR with some LNER ones and make a hybrid rake, as per December 2019.

Edited by adb968008

3 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Not if Hornby have moved in on the plans for the Oxford version of the HST coach and thus married it up with a 'new' HST. I do wonder how much of that is 'new'. 

I’ve got the same thinking as you… I remember Oxford Rail proudly announced that their Mk3 tooling would be able to cover all versions of the Loco hauled and HST coaches..

As for the HST power cars, I wonder how much is new… yes a new 21 pin PCB board, updating lighting wiring, improved coupler, none of which would merit a new chassis… As to body, Simon said on the YouTube release it has enhanced prints detail….  So to me sounds like it’s a makeover, not a new model…

• Agree 1

The one coach that I want - the rebuilt Maunsell composite dining saloon is a) in Southern branding, which it probably only carried for eighteen months, being rebuilt in 1947, and b) is numbered 7844 - withdrawn in 1954 due to accident damage, so I can’t just rub off the southern!

For some reason Hornby seem to have a habit of producing stock with a limited livery life - H class 31265 and Lord Rodney spring to mind.  Still, most people aren’t as obsessive about date verisimilitude as me!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Finally! Intermediate coaches for the Hitachi 80X packs allowing people to make 9-car rakes! Thank youuuuu Hornby.

Note that the 800 that has just arrived with them is a 5 car set in real life (they renumbered it IIRC), so this would go with the newly announced 801, or if you're not bothered about matching numbers then the Celebrating Scotland pack.

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see the LNER Coronation set coming out. I had a rake of kit built models that I ended up selling a few years ago when I was made redundant. I've got my order in for 2 packs. The only problem is I also sold my LNER garter blue Mallard at the same time so I'm in the Market for a new A4

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Is there anyone who really needs more LNER Mk3’s ?

I make it the third set of LNER mk3’s (4 if you consider VTEC which are the same thing)…

Only 1 LNER HST to go with them.. 

Anyways thumbs up on the Coronation coaches.

Glad to fill some gaps in my EMT coaches (like hen’s teeth), may doa couple as EMR with some LNER ones and make a hybrid rake, as per December 2019.

I think the production of the VTEC / LNER Mk3s is a bit of clever move, don't forget that until recently (last May) they were in use with EMR. They did, for a brief period, also run with the EMT Blue Power Cars which of course has also been announced today. So, with a few transfers, you can use them for a VTEC / LNER / EMR Rake, and an XC on hire too. 

11 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

But no BUO. Once again, half a job…

Not quite, don't forget that Mk2 BSO 9497 was announced as a late change in last years range (the original BUO announced being an FO with BUO sides badly printed over the top of them!). Ok, it isn't a BUO and the CS BSO didn't often leave the confines of Scotland, but it does allow for a prototypical Fort William rake to be produced. 

I'm pleased to see attention to detail has been used here too - 6701 / 6703 both being RLOs in the CS fleet that had their windows removed and replaced with sheets of metal instead (not the plated over version). 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, surfsup said:

I think the production of the VTEC / LNER Mk3s is a bit of clever move, don't forget that until recently (last May) they were in use with EMR. They did, for a brief period, also run with the EMT Blue Power Cars which of course has also been announced today. So, with a few transfers, you can use them for a VTEC / LNER / EMR Rake, and an XC on hire too. 

They were used with EMR, not EMT (which is what was just announced ).

EMR power cars would have been nice, in Blue, or ex-LNER, or 43102/43272.

Good luck finding XC power cars too…one pair of R3808 sold for £600 recently.

I agree its a good move, but its been moved thrice times already before this move, everyones got them in stock circa £30.

I see these are new tooled, so lets see what the other teams mk3’s look like when released and compare.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Note that the 800 that has just arrived with them is a 5 car set in real life (they renumbered it IIRC), so this would go with the newly announced 801, or if you're not bothered about matching numbers then the Celebrating Scotland pack.

I suspect the coach packs are going to sell very fast.

Many wont care of matching coach numbers, renumbering isnt hard anyway.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I suspect the coach packs are going to sell very fast.

Many wont care of matching coach numbers, renumbering isnt hard anyway.

Yes, I am considering one to extend my 2 Azumas into 7 car. Not prototypical but about the limit of what the layout can take I think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They were used with EMR, not EMT (which is what was just announced ).

EMR power cars would have been nice, in Blue, or ex-LNER, or 43102/43272.

Good luck finding XC power cars too…one pair of R3808 sold for £600 recently.

I agree its a good move, but its been moved thrice times already before this move, everyones got them in stock circa £30.

I see these are new tooled, so lets see what the other teams mk3’s look like when released and compare.

I know, but it was EMT Blue than EMR blue. Wouldn't take much to remove the EMT printing and replace it with a EMR transfer though if desired. 

XC on hire - You wouldn't need the XC Power Cars here, just some LNER ones if you can get hold of them. August Bank Holiday 2019 saw at least 2 shortened LNER sets go on hire to XC for several North East - South West services. 

7 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Except Oxford had committed to making HST trailers, so if Hornby have just picked up the cads and Oxford's factory slots, they could be an Oxford product but still class as a retool, because when Hornby retool, I doubt very much if any of the old model tools survive.  I hope, if they are the Oxford planned HST trailers, they've sorted the scale discrepancies present in the loco hauled stock but more importantly have beefed up their construction.  The mention of body mounted couplings is concerning as this was one of the Oxford range's most fragile and frustrating parts of their design.  Getting into the coaches more or less guaranteed the coupling cam spring flying off into the wide blue yonder.

I'd think that these would be derived from Hornby's own Sliding Door version CAD.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Not at all surprised by the Coronation set, after last year's Coronation Scot, which I wasn't going to get until I saw some of the early samples in the Engine Shed blog, and I don't regret it! I don't doubt that the Coronation set will be just as good, but will we get the white walled tyres and Indian red wheel centres I wonder? I'd be surprised, but not shocked!

I've got the full Mailcoach set which I built with youthful enthusiasm and it really requires some attention (as it's in a fair few bits now) so that's moved further down the list of projects, but it would be nice to see the Up and Down set passing! I think the Hornby offering (this time) is the 'A' set, and I numbered mine as the 'B' which is what Mallard's shorter record set was drawn from.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the progress on these and hopefully some other options in the future. There's a lovely colour photo somewhere of a an early BR black V2 (I think) blasting South from York with a mixed rake of coaches and near the front is an open third pair, still in the double blue livery, but with the underframe skirts removed. So if they were to do them in that condition, you wouldn't need a full set, which would be a bit easier on the faniances!

Cheers

J

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Given the supply, distribution and tier issues in 2021,  how confident are we that we will actually be able to purchase those new releases?   2022 will be no better than the previous year and it seems the issues that plagued us last year are just as prevalent today,  so personally one has to realise that some will not be as fortunate as others.  Those able to actually secure a Coronation set (or two, or three, or.....) will indeed be most fortunate,  leaving the path open to exploitation.

Direct pre-ordering will make one's chances better in securing a model,  however,  from my memory of the video the Coronation set will be released in four packs of two coaches each and a single trailer car.  No doubt some would prefer the option of securing a single pack of either eight or nine coaches as being unable to purchase a full set of cars may be a deal breaker.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Philip Jackson said:

The generic SDJR coaches are on my order list. I've a couple of engines to go with them 

They are nice - but are let down by the rather sparse underside detail.

A direct consequence of Hornby using tweaked Stroudley air braked coaches as the basis of their 'generic' coach range. I'm holding off hoping that Hattons may decide to offer this livery in future years as they will be a far better fit.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I don't doubt that the Coronation set will be just as good, but will we get the white walled tyres and Indian red wheel centres I wonder? I'd be surprised, but not shocked!

Cheers

J

Is there any evidence that the wheel centres were red? Obviously they were on the A4s but I've not seen any reference for the coaches. White walls definitely yes of course.

8 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

They are nice - but are let down by the rather sparse underside detail.

A direct consequence of Hornby using tweaked Stroudley air braked coaches as the basis of their 'generic' coach range. I'm holding off hoping that Hattons may decide to offer this livery in future years as they will be a far better fit.

For me, much of the appeal of the coaches is not what they are, but what you can do with them. I will absolutely admit that they're not great models prototypically speaking, but they're cheap enough that they can be modified without inducing feelings of guilt. I have a rake of modified LSWR and I'm working on the LBSC ones.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 12:47, Steve51769 said:

The Coronation set is nice if not a bit niche. They'e missed a trick,it must be about time for Hornby to produce a Gresley LNER Third Open to complement their current range.  Thrid Opens were almost the most prolific type yet modellers have no RTR option. Perhaps it is time Accurascale or Bachmann brought out a range of Gresley Coaches.

This is something that really frustrates me about Hornby's coaching stock offerings too.  Year after year they churn out lovely ECML express passenger locomotives with nothing for them to pull.  Even when the intermittently produced Gresley vestibuled coaches are available you can't make up a convincing rake of them because there are too few types and some important types are missing.  A restaurant triple, a BTK and a CK would allow a reasonable approximation of the Flying Scotsman and various other major expresses.  Add a sleeper third to allow night trains like the Aberdonian.  A locker composite would be nice too.  They could churn a different named train out each year, with various livery options.   I'm delighted to see the Coronation (and have ordered a set), but it is niche.

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Not at all surprised by the Coronation set, after last year's Coronation Scot, which I wasn't going to get until I saw some of the early samples in the Engine Shed blog, and I don't regret it! I don't doubt that the Coronation set will be just as good, but will we get the white walled tyres and Indian red wheel centres I wonder? I'd be surprised, but not shocked!

While I hope the Cornonation coaches are up to the standard of the recent Coronation Scot releases, I'll hold off any pre-orders until I see samples, as it is Hornby, and they can be, um, inconsistent. That the average price of an individual Cornoation coach is going to be about £15 less than that of the concurrent releases of new Cornonation Scot coaches makes me wonder. Surely the articulation alone can't account for the difference. Perhaps the livery is less complicated to produce?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 64F said:

This is something that really frustrates me about Hornby's coaching stock offerings too.  Year after year they churn out lovely ECML express passenger locomotives with nothing for them to pull.  Even when the intermittently produced Gresley vestibuled coaches are available you can't make up a convincing rake of them because there are too few types and some important types are missing.  A restaurant triple, a BTK and a CK would allow a reasonable approximation of the Flying Scotsman and various other major expresses.  Add a sleeper third to allow night trains like the Aberdonian.  A locker composite would be nice too.  They could churn a different named train out each year, with various livery options.   I'm delighted to see the Coronation (and have ordered a set), but it is niche.

I agree completely with this post. 

The fact that the Coronation is niche - will probably help it to sell. Personally I really hope the BR period models follow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Been reading up on The Coronation, luckily you don't need an A4 to haul it, A1s, A3s and even an N2 all covered for failures as did non Coronation themed A4s.

I personally hope that their development will lead to BR liveried ones too and the rebuilt beaver tail as they have a broader use and geographical range.

I'm not sure if The West Riding service used the same formation as The Coronation, if so then there's further mileage out of the tooling.

I did read externally the carriages were similar to The Silver Jubilee but that the composition was different to the other streamliners so unsure if the tooling can be used for it.

• Like 2