Hornby 2022 - Coaching stock

AY Mod

I’m sure they will be released again next year. I wonder if there will more observation coaches in production than the rest of the train as I imagine there’s plenty that don’t want to buy the whole train but want the observation coach. Given that Commonwealth of Australia that I have pre ordered doesn’t come out until November at the earliest I may as well wait and see what’s in the 2023 range. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I had that last year with the Coronation Scot.

When they arrived I got them all for well below RRP as nearly everyone had them. I wouldn't panic yet.

Jason

Yeah, same here. Hadn't pre-ordered but when they arrived, and I saw how nice they looked, I managed to pick up the ones I wanted easily enough, discounted from my usual retailer. I did end up paying full RRP for one coach from Hornby themselves many months later when I decided I wanted an additional one.

Might be different with the Observation Car but, given Hornby have done a second run of the Coronation Scot and the APT, I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with the LNER Coronation rake if it sells out relatively quickly.

• Like 2

Well I've pre-ordered the Coronation rake from a local retailer, after the fiasco with Hornby shipping the W1 direct I'm not keen on the idea of ordering from the horses mouth anymore.

When the Coronation Scot was announced I had hoped we would see regular LMS versions of some of the diagrams that were made as such, mainly the catering core, but instead they're just making more of the streamlined liveries?  Apparently too much to hope for.

• Like 2

What with the A2s last year and the W1 in recent weeks I won't pre-order Hornby products any more.

I would love a full rake of Coronation stock but will wait until they are released. I may miss out but I can live with that.

• Like 5

On 11/01/2022 at 10:52, adb968008 said:

They were used with EMR, not EMT (which is what was just announced ).

EMR power cars would have been nice, in Blue, or ex-LNER, or 43102/43272.

Good luck finding XC power cars too…one pair of R3808 sold for £600 recently.

I agree its a good move, but its been moved thrice times already before this move, everyones got them in stock circa £30.

I see these are new tooled, so lets see what the other teams mk3’s look like when released and compare.

I think the VTEC/LNER rakes were hauled by EMT branded power cars?585B8A89-3202-427C-913C-D9B8F20C6424.jpeg.0a48d79deb01939aa8c15078449c6501.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Train Fault said:

I think the VTEC/LNER rakes were hauled by EMT branded power cars?585B8A89-3202-427C-913C-D9B8F20C6424.jpeg.0a48d79deb01939aa8c15078449c6501.jpeg

Oh thats cool, I never thought VTEC just hired EMT power cars, I know I saw full EMT sets on hire on the ECML before… that changes things. How often was it just the power cars ? I know full sets happened fairly frequently.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Oh thats cool, I never thought VTEC just hired EMT power cars, I know I saw full EMT sets on hire on the ECML before… that changes things. How often was it just the power cars ? I know full sets happened fairly frequently.

I never saw a full EMT set as a 'hired in' on the ECML, but I do recall in East Coast days seeing an East Midlands Pair with East Coast stock and an East Coast Pair on East Midlands stock on different occasions.

Cheers,

Edit; 

43313 at York 07/06/14

FB_IMG_1642082538540.jpg.96376655d6b9ae8eea6f53408e2f899f.jpg

Edited by 60800
Photo added
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I think there was a full EMT set leased directly to VTEC then LNER, when the native ECML sets received the VTEC refresh the now ex EMT coach set received the same new seat covers and carpets (albeit retaining original seats/interior fittings etc) and was vinyled into VTEC livery but the two transferred power cars (43061/075) that worked with it retained full EMT livery until the end.

edit: I think this set had mention of Hull on the exterior of the buffet as this was its general allocated turn - something like Hull - KX - Leeds - KX - Hull. Although it did go further afield on occasions at weekends I recall. I assume this fixed turn was because maintenance for this was kept at NL rather than EC. 

further edit!: although I think they generally stayed together on ‘their’ set there are pics of these two power cars on Flickr on normal sets with other power cars too. 

also I think the ex EMT set remained 8 coaches rather than the 9 of the normal sets so an excuse for a shorter VTEC/LNER liveried set! 

Edited by Global

• RMweb Premium

Two pictures I took at York on 17.11.19, having travelled from Edinburgh on the ex EMT set (note original seats in the coaches); sorry picture not clear enough to read the Power Car's number.  Appropriate for my last ride on an ECML HST!

IMG_3089.jpeg.ba47b9249b0b0ea7686a3603ff91f5d0.jpeg

IMG_3090.jpeg.2cdeb4308dbc9aa1386a49a93e4808b3.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/01/2022 at 10:20, 66738 said:

Surprised and confused that no further White roof MK 1’s have been announced. What are we supposed to do with the BCK?

Run it with the three versions of the RBR in executive livery that have now been announced??! With the first two versions still being available I’m not sure why Hornby thought another was needed this year. More surprising to me because - and please correct me if I am wrong here - I don’t think there are very many Hornby coaches suitable to pair with it (I have one - and only one - which I use with Bachmann blue/grey Mark 2s). It’s this mysterious and seemingly unnecessary repetition of models that confuses me. Same with the LNER mark 3s, which as others have commented have been done as a new rake every year since 2019, and some of the 2019 vintage is still available!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2022 at 23:07, Synch said:

When the Coronation Scot was announced I had hoped we would see regular LMS versions of some of the diagrams that were made as such, mainly the catering core, but instead they're just making more of the streamlined liveries?  Apparently too much to hope for.

Hornby presumably think they will make more money by selling another Coronation Scot rake this year. To be fair given the way collectors hoovered up the first one last year its not a surprise.

Hopefully by 2023 or 22024, the Collectors will have had their fill and Hornby will think about turning to more mundane stock.

54 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Run it with the three versions of the RBR in executive livery that have now been announced??! With the first two versions still being available I’m not sure why Hornby thought another was needed this year. More surprising to me because - and please correct me if I am wrong here - I don’t think there are very many Hornby coaches suitable to pair with it (I have one - and only one - which I use with Bachmann blue/grey Mark 2s). It’s this mysterious and seemingly unnecessary repetition of models that confuses me. Same with the LNER mark 3s, which as others have commented have been done as a new rake every year since 2019, and some of the 2019 vintage is still available!

Not sure if this is the case in real life but I’m using the the white roof Mk1 as a loco support coach and running it with other Mk1s as a steam special. 
I still have the Intercity buffet sitting in my trunk at Hattons and with no other Intercity Mk1s announced this year it can stay there a little longer! I have more than enough Hornby Mk1s anyway but it would have been nice to complete the rake. 

9 minutes ago, Standards_in_OO said:

I still have the Intercity buffet sitting in my trunk at Hattons and with no other Intercity Mk1s announced this year it can stay there a little longer! I have more than enough Hornby Mk1s anyway but it would have been nice to complete the rake. 

There wasn't many IC Mk1s pottering around, but there were dozens of Mk2 rakes which used the RBR until the Mk3 catering stock was built and Mk2 RFB converted to replace them. In its IC guise the RBR is of considerably more use for Mk2e/f rakes than alongside Mk1s, so if you have any of these its worth having the right catering stock for them. ;)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Standards_in_OO said:

Not sure if this is the case in real life but I’m using the the white roof Mk1 as a loco support coach and running it with other Mk1s as a steam special. 

I have two white roof Mk1 BCKS either end of a Bachmann Mk1 pullman rake hauled by Bachmann 47834 as a charter. The colours of the Bachmann 47 and Hornby BCK match really well - so although unlikely this is prototypical it looks great to me! :D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Surprised and confused that no further White roof MK 1’s have been announced. What are we supposed to do with the BCK?

buy a rake of Replica Railways ones, they clean up nice.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

One thing that has struck me with regards to the Mk1 coaching stock listed in the catalogue, is the sheet lack of regular vehicles available. It's either composites, firsts or brakes, which is of next to no use if you want to build a rake (that isn't maroon). I know they like to think of themselves as the premier model railway company, but that doesn't mean that nearly all of their ubiquitous coaching stock needs to cater for first class passengers!

Cheers

J

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

One thing that has struck me with regards to the Mk1 coaching stock listed in the catalogue, is the sheet lack of regular vehicles available. It's either composites, firsts or brakes, which is of next to no use if you want to build a rake (that isn't maroon). I know they like to think of themselves as the premier model railway company, but that doesn't mean that nearly all of their ubiquitous coaching stock needs to cater for first class passengers!

Cheers

J

I would like to have seen some more running numbers of Mk1s plus the Stanier/Gresley coaches in BR maroon. Also a lot of places I’ve looked at have sold out of the teak coaches which many people will probably need with all these LNER steam locos. But I imagine if 3/4 HSTs are released in the same year with all the coaches along with LMS/LNER Coronations then that’s the bulk of the space taken up for this year. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Standards_in_OO said:

Also a lot of places I’ve looked at have sold out of the teak coaches which many people will probably need with all these LNER steam locos.

And not a single main range, non-Coronation LNER coach in the catalogue this year (other than the 4 Gresley non corridor models) in any livery. The LMS aren't much better catered for, and I suppose people could argue that the two Northern companies have their big posh streamliner trains well represented, but they can't (realistically) be run with any old loco; though I know there are exceptions with stock movements and loco failures.

I totally understand the manufacturing slots issue, which must be one of the hardest things to calculate for a manufacturer when putting a range together.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

The lack of any LMS Open Thirds other than the D1904 Coronation Scot conversion always surprises me. The only conventional one ever done was the D1915 from Replica in LMS or BR Maroon. I find this a big omission as they built about 2500 Open Thirds for general use between 1925 and 1939 with the last staying in use to almost the end of steam. Some carried four different liveries from fully lined LMS 1920s to BR Maroon, not to mention the 1948 transition period of unbranded LMS and the various early BR numbering variations.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Bear in mind that the white roof BCK 21274 that Hornby modelled (now at the NRM) was probably seldom part of the white roof charter set. My understanding (possibly picked up on here) is that it was a VIP coach e.g. Royals travelling in service trains. The Charter set (white roof, swallow livery) definitely had some BFKs (not yet available RTR from anyone) and possibly some BSKs but I'm not sure that any BCK was actually part of the rake (and certainly not 21274, even if it was managed at Bounds Green in the same pool)

• Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Totally agreed, in fact quite a bit of the coach releases this year seem to be "one offs" - a single vehicle type in a particular livery, for example an executive and a blue/grey RBR - what Hornby stock are you supposed to run with them (surely Hornby aren't making them so we can add a catering vehicle to a Bachmann Mk2 rake, plus both versions of the previous releases of these liveries still available - why no executive Mk2s or blue/grey Mk2s to go with them??), the five DRS TSO Mark 2s - sure previous releases all sold out, but why isn't there a BSO to go with them (all of these from the original releases all sold out too), even the Caledonian RLOs are a singleton, being released to complement the SLE Mk3s and BSO Mk2 announced as part of last year's range - so why was this not joined up as a release in the 2021 range?? I've not been interested in the Caledonian sleepers and day coaches thus far as there weren't representations of both of the day coaches announced, so it was not possible to assemble a representation of the train, and exactly the same thing happened with the previous release of the SLEs in "First" livery. Don't get me wrong, glad the RLO has been announced but the thinking doesn't seem very joined up - it's very odd to me, I guess there must be some reason somewhere... at least, I hope there is and it isn't all random!