Hornby 2022 - Scenics and control

AY Mod

• AY Mod pinned this topic
  • RMweb Gold

Are they not issuing any new TTS sounds? Would have thought a 1st Gen DMU would have been obvious to go with the Class 110 and the Coca-Cola 121.

Some of the existing TTS chips also need restocking, are they coming back too?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Sadly no sign of the elusive Railmaster Loco Detection System (R8306). Maybe next year....

Interesting, Simon mentions in the video the 66 will also be 21 pin fitted. This model is so crude it doesn't even have working lights. I wonder if they're planning a 21 pin TTS+ decoder?

It's odd they're not offering an adaptor to use their 8pin TTS decoders in their 21pin models.

22 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Are they not issuing any new TTS sounds? Would have thought a 1st Gen DMU would have been obvious to go with the Class 110 and the Coca-Cola 121.

There doesn't appear to be any TTS fitted locos in the new releases, and last years TTS locos have all been severely delayed. Looks like they're having problems with their decoder supplier.  Interesting that they've started to go 21 pin for their new toolings, perhaps they've got a different supplier for the SS (steam, sound) loco decoders?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

It's odd they're not offering an adaptor to use their 8pin TTS decoders in their 21pin models.

They are: R7383 on the Hornby website. If you go to new releases, it's the cheapest item on the list.

Johan

13 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

They are: R7383 on the Hornby website. If you go to new releases, it's the cheapest item on the list.

Johan

I may be wrong but doesn't that one allow the new 21pin decoders to connect to the older 8pin sockets? Rather than the other way around.

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Also what happened to the class 73 chip as seen on TV? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I may be wrong but doesn't that one allow the new 21pin decoders to connect to the older 8pin sockets? Rather than the other way around.

Good question. I don't know (yet) but since it talks about sound applications, and Hornby's own TTS is 8-pin... 

But it might be the other way around. 

Johan

Edited by Johan DC
Incorrect info removed

4 hours ago, truffy said:

Those SER buildings look really rather good. I could be tempted…

1 hour ago, Budgie said:

It's a shame there aren't any pictures, or even diagrams, of the individual items.

The photo suggests Frant Railway station just south of Tunbridge Wells. The foot bridge is a modern addition which suggests this is more for a modern layout than pre-grouping days. I might have gone for it if it was a Kent based one to interact well between my SER and LCDR items (on top of SECR of course).

The modern footbridge is located where the original signal box was, so I wonder what the signal box will be. Indeed would be nice to have some diagrams or pictures.

Edited by JSpencer

7 hours ago, Budgie said:

It's a shame there aren't any pictures, or even diagrams, of the individual items.

6 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Indeed would be nice to have some diagrams or pictures.

Agreed. I wouldn't buy them without more research. But they remind me of my childhood growing up in Folkestone.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 09:31, scottrains29 said:

....It's odd they're not offering an adaptor to use their 8pin TTS decoders in their 21pin models.

On 10/01/2022 at 09:45, Johan DC said:

On 10/01/2022 at 10:00, scottrains29 said:

On 10/01/2022 at 12:02, Johan DC said:

Good question. I don't know (yet) but since it talks about sound applications, and Hornby's own TTS is 8-pin... 

But it might be the other way around. 

This new R7383 converter is stated to be a 21-pin to 8-pin.

Not the other way around.

21-pin to 8-pin has pins on both ends and allows a 21-pin decoder to fit into a loco with an 8-pin socket.

You can't use it to fit an 8-pin decoder (e.g. TTS) to a 21-pin loco socket.

For that you need an 8-pin to 21-pin adapter (holes or sockets on both 8 & 21 connections).

These are readily available for a few £ each.

The R7383 appears to have been released to allow their new R7382 21-pin decoder to be used in locos with an 8-pin socket.

Quite frankly, it baffles me why anyone should do that, with a combined price of just under £30 for the 2 items, when a vastly superior 8-pin decoder can be had for two thirds of the price.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...

There are pictures of the Station House, Station Building, Platform Shelter, Signal Box and Footbridge (a Southern concrete type) in the 2023 catalogue which appear to be the actual models or perhaps hand built samples ? Thanks for the information.

On 11/01/2022 at 18:29, miles73128 said:

Absolutely, I has hoping for these too! I would guess the global semi conductor shortage has put paid to TTS for another 12 months....

I guess you know the answer to this question one year down the road. TXS replaces TTS and the Class 73 is on the TXS list.

• Agree 1