Hornby 2022 - Sound & Steam

AY Mod

• AY Mod changed the title to Hornby 2022 - Sound & Steam
  • AY Mod pinned this topic
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Any idea who's decoder is in them? Is it ESU/Zimo or a Hornby proprietary one?

No information was provided on that I'm afraid Tom.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stueyboy43 said:

Looking at the prices against standard versions I cannot see how it could be a full fat ESU or Zimo decoder

Good point, I was thinking the uplift wasn't massive for what it brings.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Apologies if i've missed it elsewhere as so much to read. Are they using the new Black 5 tooling for this or one of their older versions,

Its completely new tooling. Simon K described it as "the ultimate" steam loco. Working headlamps too. 

I could be wrong but it looks like the steam generator could be a simple (and cheap as chips) Piezo atomiser. Get a  decoder to generate the correct frequency and you have pulsed "Steam".

I wonder though how effective it will be in warm weather and what the steam would look like when viewed against a light coloured background.

https://youtu.be/Mzb8sfLI_ZE?t=314

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Porcy Mane said:

I could be wrong but it looks like the steam generator could be a simple (and cheap as chips) Piezo atomiser. Get a  decoder to generate the correct frequency and you have pulsed "Steam".

I wonder though how effective it will be in warm weather and what the steam would look like when viewed against a light coloured background.

P

Can you colour the water to be atomized or does it have to be pure ? Was thinking whether a diesel version could have nice dark clag.

3 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Can you colour the water to be atomized or does it have to be pure ? Was thinking whether a diesel version could have nice dark clag.

Don't know the answer but I'd imagine any dyes or colouring would eventually gum up the piezo plate and discolour whatever the vapour landed on.

• Like 1

This wasn't a big surprise for those who watched the programmes on Yesterday.

I'd hope that its water rather some expensive oil.

If its and atomizer it could be good if like vaping they could do an aroma like the burnt coal, oil and steam that you get when you are next to a loco.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

https://youtu.be/Mzb8sfLI_ZE?t=314

P

While I can see the drive to do this and include it as a step forwards Hornby's track record (pun intended) is that some of these are often done as including gimicks rather than anything that is much more detailed. The fact that the 'steam' comes from just the chimney will be one thing that is ok overall, and does seem to work in relation to the wheel revolution and chuff rate, but its not appearing from anywhere else. Perhaps, as I think, this is the start of including these as workable additions, so that you end up with something akin to the two german engines frequently shown on a You-tube clip that shows that when done fully this can work well. I can understand Hornby. 

Adding the working firebox light can be a step forwards so long as it works and is done right (Nothing that lights up the entire plate in the cab through light leaking), but I think overall this is a wish to move forwards by Hornby and counter the fact that competitors are looking for this next step too. It will mark the start of Steam DCC: the Next Generation, where sound, lights and possibly smoke comes as standard, so thus in the future everything else before it is open to be retooled and redone again. I would see this as a modern 'Merchant Navy' high spec game-changing moment, but that given what is included this might take some time and some working out before its accurate consistently. The price rise might make some stop and pause... just wanting DCC sound and lighting - which look to be available. Yet even with these as standard its a benchmark moment, opening the chance up for many to be retooled, but given whats on the market out there with DCC sound and lights already I can see many sticking with what they have. 

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Don't know the answer but I'd imagine any dyes or colouring would eventually gum up the piezo plate and discolour whatever the vapour landed on.

They could sell it as realistic smoke stains on bridges and things. Although I'm more worried about all the card bridges and brick paper going soggy...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, NoggintheNog said:

It operates in a very similar way to those offered by Broadway Limited in US outline stuff.

And there is a UK based system: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv8jQrEcIAJrNbfnnVuPBAQ/videos

Black Hat take note that on some installations the smoke is not just emitted from the chimney.

Edited by Porcy Mane

It's a shame that Hornby's 'Attention to detail' didn't stretch as far as making sure the smokebox door was on correctly for a publicly film! :D Still I have seen far, far worse on a recent cable tv channel recently! (Yes, Readers Digest

I am looking at you!)

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NoggintheNog said:

It operates in a very similar way to those offered by Broadway Limited in US outline stuff.

They have their own decoder solution not available as an aftermarket at all, but perhaps are supplying Hornby?

Given they have developed their own sound chip, is it likely to be inhouse? We may then eventually see it as an aftermarket offering?

Given what Hornby want for the Flying Scotsman (Tm, etc) the Black 5 is a bit of a bargain*.  I'm tempted, and it would be my only pre-order this year, but I'm put off by worrying how far the "December 2022" date will slip, and how much the price will increase between now and eventual delivery.

* Relatively speaking. I mean, £250 for a 4-6-0, even with sound and steam effect...