Hornby 2022 - Trains on Film

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Correct

My preferred retailer is only sending lists to previous customers and all items are available in fixed numbers, guaranteed (sic) by Hornby to be delivered.

Mind you I also buy from Hattons and haven't had anything from them.

I have more than a suspicion that Hattons might finish up with some 'Hornby Dublo' Stanier pacifics with diecast metal bodies as I get the feeling that particular layer of golden eegs might be overdone.  the A4s will no doubt sell and the MNs are in witha very good chance but the Stanier pacifics are probably at least one version too far

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Titan said:

However they are promoting models based on three Studio Canal Films, so are they deficient by one licence or two?

No idea, but I see from what has been posted (?) that they have at least one licence but not the one relevant to the current discussion, although they did have one previously.

IMHO Having already one (or more) current licence(s) with SC and having previously had a relevant licence for TT, could have led them into a lackadaisical attitude about how easy it would be to get another and ended them in this mess.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

In understand perfectly well that your regret is at the prevalence of those insular views. For my part I don't believe they are fashionable, just stated loudly and aggressively.

Changing the subject completely, if only we had some idea of the views held by Jeremy Hosking, Hornby’s landlord and a shareholder in the company. And also of the new non-exec director Hornby have appointed, Henry de Zoete. And, indeed, whether my first sentence has any connection with my second.

Richard

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Was watching From Russia With Love the other night, am sure that although the days shots of the train were continental looking the fleeting night shots looked like a Black 5 and a set of green mk1s.

It was shot on the Nene Valley Railway.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Was watching From Russia With Love the other night, am sure that although the days shots of the train were continental looking the fleeting night shots looked like a Black 5 and a set of green mk1s.

There's also a Midland signal box at one point!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

And also GoldenEye (1995)

And the train sequences at the end of “Live & Let Die.”  In this case, as with some of the others, the book is better, containing a passage starting “Bond loved trains..” in which Bond reflects on the variety of US railroad names he sees on the freight cars passing by, and which ends something like “British Railways? Bond sighed.”

Richard

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The thing I find odd about the whole affair is why Studio Canal would give the licence to Rapido in the first place. (see below*)

If you are a rights holder you want info about your product plastered all over the place.

With Hornby they would get that, all the Hornby Retailers can put up posters and displays relating to the film, it's anniversary and have the tie in products for sale, in the same way all the Star Wars, Frozen etc. film merchandise was available everywhere.

What do they get with Rapido?

No retail base in the UK, available at only a few model shops and unknown to Joe Public and much of the toy train market.

I'm puzzled.

Rapido will IMHO get a lot more from it than SC.

*This is not meant to cast aspersions on Rapido but more to question what Studio Canal might think they are going to get from the tie up.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The thing I find odd about the whole affair is why Studio Canal would give the licence to Rapido in the first place. (see below*)

If you are a rights holder you want info about your product plastered all over the place.

With Hornby they would get that, all the Hornby Retailers can put up posters and displays relating to the film, it's anniversary and have the tie in products for sale, in the same way all the Star Wars, Frozen etc. film merchandise was available everywhere.

No retail base in the UK, available at only a few model shops and unknown to Joe Public and much of the toy train market.

I'm puzzled.

*This is not meant to cast aspersions on Rapido but more to question what Studio Canal might think they are going to get from the tie up.

Maybe they are nice people who remember to say 'please'.

• Like 13

North American exposure?...I understand the TT video is not available in North American format. Would love that to change.  I have an old modified DVR player for European region videos but just found it no longer works.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I'm puzzled.

They got a request for a license and someone who paid what they asked. They weren’t looking for someone to produce it.
The UP getting very greedy was taken on by Mike Wolf of MTH because he had the money to take them on and he got them to back down to a sensible license fee. Coke demand big fees, as do the current TTTE owners and that’s why many preserved railways have dropped Thomas days, because they got greedy with money and conditions to hold them. 

If we get into a situation where every approach for a license is then hawked around to get bigger bids then guess who’ll be paying? Let’s not give them these daft ideas ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Din said:

The Bachmann Junior Range models seemed somewhat exempt from this, but Hornby dragged Bachmann to court over it, where the court ruling specified that Hornby has the exclusive rights in 4mm scale only. It's why the G-scale stuff started being introduced by Bachmann not long after the Junior range was pulled in its entirety. Hornby then let the rights lapse/be denied a renewal not that many years after.

The current slapfight over Skarloey and Rheneas is apparently an internal affair between Bachmann Europe and Bachmann USA, the latter of which refuses to "let" Europe apparently have the locos in sensible colours, hence the weird bright yellow Rheneas being released over here.

Well I was saying it wasn't Hornby who dragged Bachmann to court over it, it was HiT entertainment for using the loco toolings in another range. Currently, that slapfight doesn't seem to make much sense. If it's an internal affair as described, I would think their parent company would step in as that's notable lost profits for them. This and the fact that apparently this also was in regards to the N scale range, which will be releasing soon in the UK, seems to make that theory seem incorrect.

• Like 2

On 10/01/2022 at 09:01, Zunnan said:

It depends on how aggressive the IP holder wants to be with it. There is already precedent set in this sort of thing with property being seized for imitating film IP. It doesn't matter that the box includes 'inspired by', it specifically mentions 'Titfield Thunderbolt'. Then there is locomotive livery and name, loriot and Dans house, presumably the specific livery and number details on the Toad van and also bus livery and destination. All of those are IP belonging to Studio Canal. The big question now is whether the IP holder sees Hornby as a positive influence on their IP and come to a private agreement or whether they enforce the contract they have with another manufacturer for this specific set of movie items and treat it as IP theft. If other similar instances are to go by, not much detail will come out either way.

Another way to look at it is that the other party has a contract of exclusive access to the IP for a period of time. If Studio Canal has given Hornby permission within that time frame, then the IP holder could be found in breach of contract themselves.

Interesting that most people are conveniently ignoring the fact that Hornby announced they were making Lion before Rapido. It was also logical that Hornby would capitalise on the models investment to use it for a Titfield range.

So, it could be argued that it was in fact Rapido who attempted to steal a march on Hornby.

• Funny 1

58 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I'm puzzled.

Except we don't know what Rapido have lined up for the Titfield packs, especially with a company as big as Studio Canal behind them.  For all we know SC might have a big push on Titfield lined up with tie ins to Talking Pictures TV, cinema chains (Universal did an anniversary reshowing of the Blues Brothers some years back and I went all the way to Llandudno to watch it in the multiplex there.  I'm a tad obsessive about that film), possibly the BFI (who a couple of years back also did some special showings of David Lean films, I went to our lovely old cinema in Tywyn to watch "A Matter of Life and Death" and "Brief Encounter" over two Sunday afternoons which was bliss) and who knows, Rapido might even have costed in some TV advertising of their own.

just because Hornby have some high street presence doesn't mean Rapido can't have already have some sort of campaign in mind, perhaps more targeted at film and railway fans than the numpties who buy Hornby for brand recognition.  I suspect they are not the core demographic Rapido are targeting.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Interesting that most people are conveniently ignoring the fact that Hornby announced they were making Lion before Rapido. It was also logical that Hornby would capitalise on the models investment to use it for a Titfield range.

So, it could be argued that it was in fact Rapido who attempted to steal a march on Hornby.

Probably for the already mentioned fact that Hornby announced they were making Lion after they found out that someone else (Spoiler alert it was Rapido) had got the licence to make a model of The Titfield Thunderbolt. Can you think of a better definition of trying to "steal a march" on someone?

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Hornby announced it when they contacted Studiocanal and found out Rapido had got the license. So that proves Rapido were already ahead in the planning ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1