Hornby 2022 - Trains on Film

AY Mod

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I doubt, for example, that the model railway magazines will be discussing the issue.

As we were finalising the magazine at the end of last week only a passing reference was made rather than risk the chance that something changed between then and distribution of the mag.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

As we were finalising the magazine at the end of last week only a passing reference was made rather than risk the chance that something changed between then and distribution of the mag.

A wise move given that there are so many possible outcomes to this situation.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There's nothing to stop Hornby producing a replica of the Lion, the Loiret or the toad brake van. But I can't see how they can get away making a model of Dan's coach without the express permission of Studio Canal.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 4

18 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

"Titgate" is getting traction across social media and not in a positive way from Hornby's perspective.

Lets see if the tabloids get hold of it. What will the headlines be?

"Titgate... Trouble int't toy train land"

"Colonial upstarts terrorise traditional historic British toy train company"

"Canadian Thunderbolt destroys Margate"

"Hornby get their tracks crossed"

There has to be better than that.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

It is cropping up in other social media outlets, it even became the subject of a meme on Twitter which was retweeted by Nigel Harris.  This is what I alluded to: this forum is but one subset of the model railway social media network.  We're discussing it ad nauseam but it's out there on other platforms.  Frankly the model railway magazines not discussing it won't be an issue.  "Titgate" is getting traction across social media and not in a positive way from Hornby's perspective.

And if it gets to the financial pages of any dailies or even to shore tipster sites ...  Especially if Hornby are set on being less than supportive of their retailers.

Hornby's share price rose 1.5p (to 57p) between close of trading on Friday and cose of trading on Monday, on Tuesday it fell 4p but recovered back to 55p on Wednesday.  The question now is whether it can hold or whether it will follow what happened a year ago when a period of falling price followed the high around new range release date?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

51 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Lets see if the tabloids get hold of it. What will the headlines be?

"Titgate... Trouble int't toy train land"

"Colonial upstarts terrorise traditional historic British toy train company"

"Canadian Thunderbolt destroys Margate"

"Hornby get their tracks crossed"

There has to be better than that.

Its all gone Tits Up? 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

a model of Sam's coach without the express permission of Studio Canal.

Dan’s coach not Sam, I think Sam would fall over in delight if they modelled a coach for him :lol:

Sorry Phil, too good to miss ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Funny 4

I think everyone is overestimating our papers.  If we get anything more imaginative than the lines they have used before repeatedly I will be shocked.  It will be "Hornby's plans derailed/hit the buffers".  Incidentally I googled Titgate and let me just say Hornby did not feature in the results...

• Funny 10

Seeing how the press looks these days it might be more like:

"Hornby take's back control from foriegners over British film rights!"

"Boris give's Hornby control of Titfield at Downing street party."

And that is without using national insults.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Seeing how the press looks these days it might be more like:

"Hornby take's back control from foriegners over British film rights!"

"Boris give's Hornby control of Titfield at Downing street party."

And that is without using national insults.

Giant French company initiates legal action against a small British toy company over an old British film to protect foreign upstart? The headlines will write themselves......

Edited by ruggedpeak
erroneous reference removed
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2022 at 21:33, RJS1977 said:

Colour....

Since when has the truth been important when there is a chance to paint jonney foreigner (particularly the French / Europeans) in a bad light in right wing papers.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There's nothing to stop Hornby producing a replica of the Lion, the Loiret or the toad brake van. But I can't see how they can get away making a model of Dan's coach without the express permission of Studio Canal.

Provided the coach isn't too accurate (e.g. sticking a chimney on the roof of one of their 'generic' coach bodies), and is marketed as 'grounded coach body' there would be no issue.

The issue really is the use of the 'Titfield Thunderbolt' name in the marketing. 

[Oxford Diecast have previously released Morse's Jag (246RPA) and Bond's DB5 (BMT416A) in their range, but have not marketed them as 'Inspector Morse' or 'James Bond' and as far as I am aware have not been subject to any legal action.]

As another thought, a 14XX, W&U coach and Toad could legitimately be released as a 'Dad's Army' set as stock footage from The Titfield Thunderbolt was used in at least two episodes of Dad's Army!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

As another thought, a 14XX, W&U coach and Toad could legitimately be released as a 'Dad's Army' set as stock footage from The Titfield Thunderbolt was used in at least two episodes of Dad's Army!

It doesn't work like that.  Any TT clips in D's A will have been licenced and still remain property of Studio Canal.

If that were not the case Hornby could simply say their model is a copy of Rapido's.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

28 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

It doesn't work like that.  Any TT clips in D's A will have been licenced and still remain property of Studio Canal.

If that were not the case Hornby could simply say their model is a copy of Rapido's.

As far as I'm aware, the clips used in Dad's Army are of the 14XX and the W&U coach not Thunderbolt. I haven't seen them for many years but IIRC they were out-takes, so probably obtained via John Huntley's archive and long before S-C acquired the rights to the movie. (CJL)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I presume Hornby know who they are taking on https://www.studiocanal.co.uk/ The third largest film distribution company in the world.

Which in itself is owned by Vivendi which has a turnover in €10s of billions and had assets of €38 billion in 2020

It spends most of it's time in acquisitions.

"Plucky British minnow, takes on huge voracious Euroshark":D

• Like 2