Hornby 2022 - Trains on Film

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

There's a Pierce and Crump coach (Bedford OB) noted, but I can't see any W & U coach, it doesn't form part of the train pack.

But Rapido are producing it and it appears that it is going to be very popular.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

There's a Pierce and Crump coach (Bedford OB) noted, but I can't see any W & U coach, it doesn't form part of the train pack.

The model bus fraternity are complaining 'Not another Bedford OB' but that is the vehicle that appeared in the film.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

Are Hornby actually convinced that they will be producing an "inspired by" Titfield Thunderbolt train  pack ?

I received their catalogue this afternoon, and was first surprised to note that Lion/Titfield Thunderbolt wasn't on the cover, then I eventually found it taking up one-half of a page (p.45).  As for Lion (or whatever) I could see no separate listing.

Very weird for a model making such a lot of "news".

Maybe because there are other items in the catalogue and/or announcement?

I believe some people do actually like those electric kettle things....

Personally I reckon Turbomotive is the biggest deal. Maybe I'm in a group of one!

Jason

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Something a little uncomfortable about modelling a loco with such a Harrowing destruction. 

Whilst I sympathise, I'm afraid I don't have sentimentality about such things. Especially one that happened years before I was born.

Where do we stop?

No Rocket as it killed Huskisson

No Sir Nigel Gresley. A crew member died when coupling up a few years ago.

A few other preserved locomotives have been in accidents. 5025 definitely.

No Titanic models or films.

No warships, tanks or war planes.

No playing with soldiers.

No space shuttles or Concorde.

As long as people aren't modelling the actual disasters to provoke people then I can't see a problem.

Jason

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Something a little uncomfortable about modelling a loco with such a Harrowing destruction. 

It had recently been rebuilt into a Coronation/Princess hybrid with the name Princess Anne, that was the loco that got destroyed at Harrow. Jubilee, 45637 Windward Isles also got scrapped.

The other pacific (46242 City of Glasgow) looked worse after the accident but was rebuilt.

This year is 70 years since the accident (8 October 1952), I wonder whether there will be some sort of remembrance of it?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jon Horrocks said:

So by this standard, if Bachmann want to paint a Hall red, release it with a few maroon Mark 1s and say it’s “Inspired by Harry Potter”, they can expect Hornby to be fine with that? 

Hornby would likely be fine, but I am sure Warner Bros would do what we think StudioCanal will likely do in regard to Hornby and Rapido.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

Hornby would likely be fine

I very much doubt it and I don't understand why you think they would. They would be straight on the phone to WB and say "We thought we had an exclusive licence etc, etc'. And rightly so.

So you've killed off your own viewpoint made earlier in the topic and can hopefully understand this issue, even if you have partisan inclinations.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I very much doubt it and I don't understand why you think they would. They would be straight on the phone to WB and say "We thought we had an exclusive licence etc, etc'. And rightly so.

So you've killed off your own viewpoint made earlier in the topic and can hopefully understand this issue, even if you have partisan inclinations.

I say they would be fine as this is what they have done to Rapido, if they kick up a fuss surely it’s exactly as they have done to Rapido. It’s not like Bachmann as a company haven’t already kind of done this, look at the North Pole Set the US arm have produced and tell me it isn’t a rip off to The Polar Express, even down to livery and execution. Bachmann have tooling for the locomotive but I guess that’s cutting it too close.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/north-pole-express-train-set/00751

Given Lionel hold the rights to producing the HO scale Polar Express, I wonder what their views were to this set? Clearly inspired by but not quite infringing? I note here locomotive livery application, number on locomotive, coach livery, observation coach on rear of train, name on tender (North Pole Express/Polar Express) 

Edited by Vanguard 5374
Adding details
  • Like 2

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

I say they would be fine as this is what they have done to Rapido, if they kick up a fuss surely it’s exactly as they have done to Rapido

You're not even making sense now, you're contradicting yourself in one sentence.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

say they would be fine as this is what they have done to Rapido, if they kick up a fuss surely it’s exactly as they have done to Rapido.

However, the relevant legislation doesn’t operate on the basis of “two wrongs make a right”, just as it doesn’t operate - as another poster said earlier - on the basis of what the general public might regard as “common sense”, or “what I reckon”.

Richard T

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

I say they would be fine as this is what they have done to Rapido, if they kick up a fuss surely it’s exactly as they have done to Rapido. It’s not like Bachmann as a company haven’t already kind of done this, look at the North Pole Set the US arm have produced and tell me it isn’t a rip off to The Polar Express, even down to livery and execution. Bachmann have tooling for the locomotive but I guess that’s cutting it too close.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/north-pole-express-train-set/00751

Given Lionel hold the rights to producing the HO scale Polar Express, I wonder what their views were to this set? Clearly inspired by but not quite infringing? I note here locomotive livery application, number on locomotive, coach livery, observation coach on rear of train, name on tender (North Pole Express/Polar Express) 

The difference is Bachmann's product isn't the Polar Express, while Hornby's product is explicitly the Titfield Thunderbolt. If they'd produced something like the Bitfield Blunderbolt...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jon Horrocks said:

So by this standard, if Bachmann want to paint a Hall red, release it with a few maroon Mark 1s and say it’s “Inspired by Harry Potter”, they can expect Hornby to be fine with that? 

But they already did that with "Hogwarts Express" on it, so licences weren't exclusive. Everyone has done a Hogwarts Express. Rapido say their license for TT

is exclusive. And Hornby's fudge seems to show they don't now have a licence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Sadnerd said:

But they already did that with "Hogwarts Express" on it, so licences weren't exclusive. Everyone has done a Hogwarts Express.

Yes, Bachmann USA had a license to sell a "Hogwarts Express" set in the US. Lionel had a license for an "O" gauge version in the US.

Bachmann USA also had the license to sell Thomas the Tank Engine products in the US while Hornby had a license to sell Thomas the Tank Engine products in the UK. Now that Hornby has let that license lapse, Bachmann UK has the rights to sell their Thomas and FriendsTM product line in the UK.

Not all licenses are necessarily exclusive and some may be regionally exclusive. What is clear is that Rapido UK has stated they have an exclusive Titfield Thunderbolt license and that makes it different from the other examples.

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

It’s not like Bachmann as a company haven’t already kind of done this, look at the North Pole Set the US arm have produced and tell me it isn’t a rip off to The Polar Express, even down to livery and execution. Bachmann have tooling for the locomotive but I guess that’s cutting it too close.

(My emphasis.) It's hard to defend the number "1225" (Christmas in mmdd format) as being a violation of IP.

The movie based the locomotive on a 1941, Lima 2-8-4 Berkshire built for the Pere Marquette. (Illustrations in the book are to me a little more ambiguous though the author/illustrator definitely based the illustrations on the Lima Berkshire from his childhood memories.)

I remember that train on campus,...I can't believe it's the same train! I climbed on that train. I actually stood on it.

Some Lionel sets use Berkshire tooling. Some cheaper ones use a 2-6-2.  (There are also battery powered 2-8-2s.) The Bachmann North Pole Express is a 2-6-2.

1225 operates the "North Pole Express" out of Owosso, MI. Promotional video here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Watching Train of Events on Talking Pictures TV. Features a rebuilt Royal Scot driven by Jack Warner. 

Maybe another one for Hornby's "inspired by" range? 

Though maybe not - its another StudioCanal film...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sadnerd said:

But they already did that with "Hogwarts Express" on it, so licences weren't exclusive. Everyone has done a Hogwarts Express. Rapido say their license for TT

is exclusive. And Hornby's fudge seems to show they don't now have a licence.

You don't seem to have any clue about how licencing works!

A company will usually licence Intellectual Property on a region or country by country basis - not an 'Entire World' basis.

As such Bachmann have the rights from Warner Bros to sell Harry Potter merchandise in many places round the world - but NOT in the UK. Equally Hornby cannot start importing their HP sets into north America as they don't have the necessary WB rights there.

This approach will generally bring in more revenue for the IP holder as companies compete to secure the rights, it also sidesteps allegations of creating a worldwide monopoly on merchandising and help keep the business regulators at bay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1