7mm DJH Fairburn

sagaguy

Having a break fro my Dublo model railway,i decided to carry on building my DJH 0 gauge Fairburn tank kit.I fitted it with plunger p/ups a few years ago but not extremly happy with them,they`ve come loose in the frames and fitting 12 BA nuts is a bit fiddly.What other p/up arrangements do you guys make.

The other thing is,this is my first 0 gauge kit,I've learned a few things,firstly,don't fit steps to the running plate until the chassis is almost finished as well as lamp irons etc. It's now got to be dismantled for painting,it's too cold for spraying so it will be brush printed. The question is what undercoat should be used?.

Fairburn.jpg

Fairburn 1.jpg

Can I suggest waiting until you get a nice day for spraying. I wouldn't brush paint anything on a loco especially when it's for priming. I used to spray primer in winter at the back door of my house, aerosol cans of primer & I never had trouble. I do it all year round now in my garage, it's still cold though. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

when I built a couple of 7mm locos I used to spray on cold days without any problems.  I used automotive rattle cans for primer and colour.  I used to warm these, and the loco parts, in a cool oven then quickly out with them and spray, wrapping the parts waiting for spraying in a towel to keep them warm.  Never had any problems doing things this way, but you have to be careful not to let the oven get too hot for safety reasons!  I had my oven set for 50C, enough to warm things up without melting any white metal fittings, but everything, especially the cans, were removed when warm to the touch.  It's not worth risking any higher temperature as this may cause the cans to explode! 

At a pinch balancing things on a radiator works, but you have to be careful doing this, it's all too easy to knock things to the floor!

Roja