Hornby 2022 - Dublo range inc A4

AY Mod

• AY Mod pinned this topic
20 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Of this lot 60007 I suspect is the winner, followed by the Blue Duchess, the rest i’ll leave.

As for duplication of the green duchess / mn so soon ?

H'mm, if someone didn't get a duchess or mn first time round, and they obviously sold out very very quickly, then here's a chance to get a similar loco, so from Hornby's point of view probably a good call.   There was what appeared to be an A4 with a cast body at the side of the Hornby test layout in an early TV show  episode, so not surprised that's appeared, also the A4 is logical alongside Duchesses if the original H-D locos are being referenced.  Also they've interestingly  done 2 A4 body styles. 

The set is an interesting development, Hornby Dublo as a brand is obviously doing very well indeed for Hornby.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

The set is an interesting development, Hornby Dublo as a brand is obviously doing very well indeed for Hornby.

So far yes, Personally I think they've just tripped up.

The temptation to “repeat” similar liveries on the same model one year after the next has seen stumbles before.

Collectors collect for different reasons (value, “the hunt”, sets, series etc etc). A sell out occurs when a wide range of collectors agree on the same thing.

But if you alienate a sub-section of collectors, then they don't coalesce and the risk to sell reduces, thus risking alienating other collectors.

for instance..
Collectors who collect for value will might see last years fall, due to duplication, and not bother with this years.

Collectors who buy one of each to display may not need two Green Duchesses/MN and not bother

Collectors of the Big 4 have a 6231 and a 35017 may ignore the rest and go with the blue A4

The A4 is safe, it always will be, theres several breeds of A4 collectors out there… thats why I think they should keep it for a rainy day.

Southern collectors is a big group, and a BR MN was an obvious win last year, but they may not extend to several iterations.. who knows ?

I might be wrong, and the TV series may bring in a whole new set of family collectors…

Ive bought them all so far, but this year i’m going to break that pattern, its the Blue Duchess and 60007.

lets see.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I agree with saturating the market. However, that point may well not have been reached yet.  Think there were 500 of each produced with the first ones. I've seen an MN advertised for sale at over £500 by a retail shop, (not just an e-bay chancer) and they were £230 when they first came out.  So my feeling is the market is still hot for these, even at £302.49, and potential buyers far outnumber the supply. 

We shall see!

Re Duchesses, I did see that City of London( in maroon)  is being produced in the main range, h'mm...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Look at the cladding....

It's got the preservation era plaques on the side.

Jason

Good point. I could be wrong but I don't think it's ever run in BR green in that condition.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think it's currently LNER Black so it might appear like that next.

Jason

Nope, latest NYMR newsletter reported that the SNG society have voted to retain the early BR blue livery when it returns to service  - i.e. what it’s worn for the last 35+ years. 

Cheers, 

CoY 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, davidw said:

The A4 in BR green should have a single chimney or the tender should have a late crest. 

As a collectable it's likely not to worry the purchaser. But its an easy fix.

60007 got the plates for its 112 mph run after 23rd May 1959, in 1994.

on the day, May 23rd 1959 it already had a late crest tender… (and obviously no plates on the boiler)… the event is well documented here, with photographs….

https://sirnigelgresley.org.uk/chime-archive/23may59.shtml

The locos in-depth history is here…,inc change of chimney, logos and lining…

https://sirnigelgresley.org.uk/hist-a.shtml

So is this model accurate ?..i’m not so sure.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Nope, latest NYMR newsletter reported that the SNG society have voted to retain the early BR blue livery when it returns to service  - i.e. what it’s worn for the last 35+ years. 

Cheers, 

CoY 

Not quite, it was repainted from unvalnaced Garter Blue to BR Blue in around 1994, so 'only' 28 years :-p

I am surprised they are not rotating liveries a bit throughout the ticket. Especially now Number 7 is the only active A4. Personally would love to see her operational in Wartime Back as this has not happened since mid 1940s! But even a return to 4498 with no valances would be something not seen on the mainline since the mid 1990s (Bittern only operated in Blue defrocked on the MHR just prior to end of last 'ticket')

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ve pre ordered the blue duchess from The Model Centre. Payment already taken so hopefully my chances of getting it are reasonably high. Not the end of the world if I don’t as its firmly in the ‘nice to have’ category. If it doesn’t arrive, City of London in the main range will be a good compensation. 

3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Is it worth paying £429.99 for a Hornby Royal Scot set when you can buy an original Hornby Dublo 3-rail Royal Scot set in good condition for around £100?

To a collector, possibly. For me, though, the relative crudeness of the old stuff is part of the attraction of Hornby Dublo - they have a sense of weight that you don't get with modern locos.

7 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Is it worth paying £429.99 for a Hornby Royal Scot set when you can buy an original Hornby Dublo 3-rail Royal Scot set in good condition for around £100?

£100 more than I would pay for one.... :prankster:

I'm afraid I don't think you quite understand the market these are aimed at. They are for people who want a new one like they had as a kid or they never received for Christmas 19XX. Or as a present for grandad.

Most of us don't want old second hand junk  models that others had played with. Certainly not to give as a present.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

£100 more than I would pay for one.... :prankster:

I'm afraid I don't think you quite understand the market these are aimed at. They are for people who want a new one like they had as a kid or they never received for Christmas 19XX. Or as a present for grandad.

Or systematically destroyed and neatly put in the bin :whistle:

I could buy a real Dublo one but it wouldn't be the same one. It would just be somebody else's old train.

I like the reproduction one. It appeals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1