Class 03 Match Wagons

KLee55

3 hours ago, KLee55 said:

Did class 03s always operate with a match wagon on the Eastern Region?

Can anyone recommend a suitable model to use as a match wagon (00 scale, TOPS era)?

Many thanks

Yes, always. They were required due to their short wheelbase, to ensure operation of track cicuits in various locations.

They were usually ex Confalts

• Agree 1

Runners were used within major station limits (e.g. Cambridge, Yarmouth Vauxhall, Newcastle Central), but not when working on dock lines...

_PICS0350.jpg.abaa8315d26cc78ba4b776ad39f07732.jpg

03 160 at Ipswich, August 1975.  (Don't economise by using a bit of foam to wipe down a film!)

_PICS2360.jpg.896de26bc8282d35b44008786e137697.jpg

03 175 at Kings Lynn, September 1977.

Edited by EddieB
Reinstate photos.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, br2975 said:

If eastern/North Eastern region Cl.03s 'always' ran coupled to a 'runner' or 'match' wagon, why didn't the ER/NER Cl.04s 'always' run with them ?

The ER/NER 03s didn't always have a 'runner'.

• Like 1

There is a photo in the Ian Allan book ‘Heyday of the DMU’, Alan C Butcher, p 42 (Michael Mensing colour photo) of a Swindon Cross Country DMU (batch 2 W51573 etc type), then Tyseley allocated) leaving Evesham on a Stratford on Avon - Worcester/ Ledbury service in April 1962 - in the background is an 03 (plain green - no wasp stripes), coupled to an ex GW shunter’s truck (with a tail light) in a bay. 

On this basis I have an 03 and an ex GW shunter’s truck for use on my North Worcs/south West Midlands ex GW/MR based 1967/8 layout!! 

The 03s on the WR seem to have directly replaced steam shunting locos, although most were withdrawn or transferred away in 1968. Unless someone knows anything to the contrary I’m presuming they continued to work with shunter’s trucks as per the steam locos they replaced (08s did so at larger yards like Bordesley - Tyseley had an early allocation of 08s - there are photos in other threads on RMWeb). Evesham had both an 03 and a shunter’s truck allocated in the early 60s. 

However I know 03s were used for trip freights also and don’t recall seeing them with a shunter’s truck, brake van or flat wagon used as a runner when running light to these duties in the early/mid 60s. Not sure if any of the knowledgable WR members know, or indeed generally of the use of WR 03s with ex GW shunter’s wagons? 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

The class "03 runners on the mainline" thread I linked earlier is covering very similar stuff to what people are asking here - worth a quick skim.

I thought of replying in that thread but mine was very specifically about the use of ex GW shunter’s trucks in a similar way to ER match wagons, hence using this thread!! I’ve seen the Bristol references in the other thread (match wagons), but that is a later era than I was referring to. 

3 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

I thought of replying in that thread but mine was very specifically about the use of ex GW shunter’s trucks in a similar way to ER match wagons, hence using this thread!! I’ve seen the Bristol references in the other thread (match wagons), but that is a later era than I was referring to. 

The WR used a GWR or WR 'shunter's truck' at Burry Port until at least 1980, probably the last one in service.

This was usually (but not always) used by a solitary Cl.03 (not the multi-working combo off the BP&GV branch) which was also, in earlier years, not always a cut down cab version.

The photos below show

(i)

D2143 & D2145 at Swindon, 16th. April, 1961, a time when many of the Swindon pilot duties employed 'Noddies'.

(ii)

03128 at Laira, 1974 with a 5 plank open that was specifically 'marked' for use as a Cl.03 'runner' I have details of the wording somewhere.

2143,2145-Swindon-160461-ebay.jpg

03128-Laira-290674.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KLee55 said:

Does anyone know of class 03s being used on trip workings on the Eastern Region in the mid to late 70s without a match wagon?

There are some photos up this page of them working Ipswich docks late 70s without - do you mean did they need one to get to and from there?

On 09/01/2022 at 06:36, KLee55 said:

Yes, I was asking whether class 03s would have worked short local freight to and from docks without the marker wagon.

Well, this one is going over Ranelagh Road crossing on a Lower Yard to Ipswich Upper Yard working and that hasn't got a match wagon with it......

BR159.jpg.161c3423a21054dde256c4646716f631.jpg

...though as its hauling a train, it would show up on any track circuiting in the Upper Yard.  If there were sidings in the Upper Yard without TC's that the trips worked into, then they wouldn't need a match wagon.

They certainly didn't run with them on the dock lines....

81-388

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Replaced photos
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Assuming the 03 actually ran light to get there thus needing a match for any circuits on the way, as opposed to always taking a train for example, it would seem unlikely they then uncoupled the match and left it there somewhere - you'd think they'd just leave it attached so it was still with the loco for next time it was needed?

Edited by Hal Nail

I can't recall seeing any of the 03's at Ipswich running around without a match wagon in the station/fuelling point area, which is where the Lower Yard shunters generally returned to at the weekends in the 1970's, so they must have been detatched and stored whilst being used on the Lower Yard/Dock turns, though I don't have any photos that show this.

I'm wondering if the match truck use is detailed in the Eastern Region Sectional Appendix somewhere?