Gasworks Traffic

20 hours ago, Dava said:

Biggar is in Lanarkshire, still part of Britain and has its tiny gasworks intact as a museum. Actually too small for a railway.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/biggar-gasworks-museum/history/

Dava

Sincere apologies - no offence to Scotland intended as I'm 50% Scots.   In my defence I was going off what was stated on the Fakenham Gsaworks website.  I'll go and beat myself with a Sunday Post.Thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
  • Funny 1

I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned the 'corner filler' gasworks of the late Reverend Peter Denny, of Buckingham fame.

If I recall it was a single siding onto a couple of wagon turntables and short sidings off of them. A great little model of a simple gasworks of the type found in many small towns.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The S&DJR had a very small gas-works at Highbridge. I photographed the building which remained into the 1960s. The gasometer can be seen in Highbridge in it heyday by Colin Maggs.1621341337_Highbridgestationgasworks91969.jpg.94cb9e98c2dbed66a70db835d540b937.jpg

Grahame has built a 2mm scale model of the Old Kent Road gas works in south London. His gasometer was built from a kit that can be seen in this thread. The rest of the buildings were scratch-built. 

• 4 months later...

Just come across this thread, a late evening rabbit hole excursion! I had been quite interested in the Harrow gasworks, off Northolt Road in South Harrow and close to South Harrow UndergrounD station - here on viaduct, the concrete viaduct spur still exists. Reason for interest was another rabbit hole excursion - looking for the why LH was painted on the MAN gasholder at Southall (1960 PanAm 707 landed at Northolt aerodrome after mistaking the Harrow GW MAN gasholder for the Southall one, the Harrow one got NO painted on the side after). The Harrow GW was unusual as it was fed by MET steam trains running over what was technically MET track from Rayners Lane (The Metropolitan District line had terminated at South Harrow, MET took over their powers to build to Uxbridge). Aiui the coal train was propelled from Rayners Lane to the GW spur. The GW site is now a Waitrose, one of my old work colleagues lives in Roxeth but cannot remember the MAN holder being demolished, though they probably went past it every day on their way to work.

• Like 1