Help with techniques for painting brickwork

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

I'd like to ask the combined wisdom of the forum what peoples techniques are for recreating this kind of look on model brickwork starting from Slaters embossed sheets

bricks.png.6fd787fd6e3993b4d558e463760792e2.png

Image is cropped from Google street view.

Andi

IMG_3603.jpeg.6684efe07fb8b0b01a3f7936d314adbe.jpegHere is a technique I have used on industrial building models to create a quick and easy finish for plasticard sheets. The H numbers refer to Humbrol and the XF is a Tamiya paint. In your case you will need a blue/black base (Precision paints make a good engineering brick paint) and a bit of experimentation with other colours (possibly a bit of white/ green/grey) but hopefully the general principle is clear from the photo. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I tried the two coat paint method (Red ochre, then diluted white wiped off) with an Ancorn Models N-scale goods shed. It didn't work particularly well. The result wasn't 'bad' and will suffice but it doesn't pick out the mortar, it just leave a 'limescale' effect:

20220113_112654.jpg.23f332af247c5044dbe333a50d1b239d.jpg

Maybe in N-scale the mortar indentation is just too shallow?

I only did the one side so I'd be willing to try another technique.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I tried the two coat paint method (Red ochre, then diluted white wiped off) with an Ancorn Models N-scale goods shed. It didn't work particularly well. The result wasn't 'bad' and will suffice but it doesn't pick out the mortar, it just leave a 'limescale' effect:

That's a laser-cut kit, and I think in plywood? You can't really use paint washes on laser-cut wood in the same way you would on plastic; the wood fibres simply absorb all the liquid from the wash too quickly.

The best thing I've found to use for mortar on laser-cut kits* is general household filler. Just mix it to a slightly runny consistency, and rub it in with your finger. Clean it off as best you can to get rid of the excess (again, rubbing with a finger, cloth, or similar) and let dry. Any really thin film left on the surface once dry can be rubbed off with a cloth. If you want, you can colour the filler with acrylics before applying it.

*My kits are MDF - I haven't tried this method on plywood, I guess it depends on how tight the grain is? Might be worth experimenting a bit first.

Here's an example of the same technique, done by Brian @brylonscamel from Braeside Models:

JSM12B_BM_02.jpg.1bab6fc285dc6ac8169628a39e75f1c3.jpg

Regards,

Jonathan

JSModels

Edited by JSModels
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll give that a try at some point then, it's worked well for you. How do you get the different coloured bricks - do you just pick a few out and paint them different colours? That would be quite a challenge in N, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

First thing I do is to lightly sand the surface of the brick sheet. It takes off the shine of the plastic, which helps paint stick. I then paint a mortar colour, something like a "Desert Sand" yellow, using Tamiya Acrylic Paints.

The brickwork is done by dry brushing, using a biggish flat brush and bottles of artists acrylic paints. For this one, Burnt Sienna was the main colour then I dry brushed a couple of other reds and a bit of Tamiya "German Grey".

The final effect looks a bit like this:

DSCN2932.JPG.de52f35e9cdd431aba55f0141d4555ef.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

For me, almost the same as above - mortar first, then wipe the worst of it off the surface of the bricks with a paper towel. Allow time to dry, then dry brush the brick colour using a big brush worked diagonally so the bristles don't drag into the mortar courses. Then weathered with dilute black acrylic flooded over everything to taste.

1921022493_DSC_0019(2).JPG.54dcb42b957c147380d2e35d48709481.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’m new to this too & experimenting with my first scratch build using embossed plasticard. I first sprayed the sheet with Halford’s grey primer and then painted on a dark brown as I wanted to portray old bricks. The paint I used was Revell Matt 84. You can see how dark this first looks on the right. Once this had dried I painted over the entire area with a light grey emulsion from one of those test pots I had kicking around in the garage. This was immediately wiped off the surface of the bricks but remains in the mortar lines. It also has the effect of lightening the bricks themselves. I then use a range of fine-tipped water-based felt pens (red, orange, brown, black) to highlight individual bricks and provide some variety. These are immediately dabbed with kitchen roll to dull them down a bit. I’ve still got more work to do to finish this but thought I’d share it as I’m pleased with the effect so far.

7D2E92D0-E14C-48E2-B730-EAAE2A2F4D5E.jpeg

• Like 4