Gluing 3D printed chairs to ply sleepers.

ozzyo

As the title says what is the best glue for sticking down 3D printed chairs to ply sleepers. For the plain track I'm using MEK (99.9% Butanone), but for the printed chairs I don't think that it will work. The printed chairs will be for the interesting chairs in the point work on the front of Lochmaben, two of the points will get a lot of use as these are the cross over, so we cannot afford the chairs to come loose.

TIA

OzzyO. 

Edited by ozzyo

• RMweb Gold

I have made a lot of track using c&l chairs on ply sleepers and butanone worked very well.  

Is it that the 3d filament is not softened by butanone? If not,  then you just need to find the right solvent.  Either that or use a filament that is softened by butanone.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ozzyo said:

As the title says what is the best glue for sticking down 3D printed chairs to ply sleepers. For the plain track I'm using MEK (99.9% Butanone), but for the printed chairs I don't think that it will work. The printed chairs will be for the interesting chairs in the point work on the front of Lochmaben, two of the points will get a lot of use as these are the cross over, so we cannot afford the chairs to come loose.

TIA

OzzyO. 

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say the answer to that question will be wholly dependent on 2 factors: a) what method of 3D printing was used to print the chairs, and b) what material were they printed from?

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

At a guess super glue (cyanoacrylate) is probably your best get.  The most common materials used in 3D printing are PLA, for filament extruded printers, and photoreactive resin.  Neither of these have commonly available solvents that you can use as an adhesive.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ozzyo said:

TIA

OzzyO. 

Hi,

Which scale?

Indoor or outdoor?

Type of printer? (FDM, resin)

If FDM, which filament? (there are a lot and they all have different properties)

Andy

Ozzyo

I bought some Loctite 60 second all purpose glue as I wanted to stick plastic timbers and sleepers to my trackbed. Its a cyanoacrylate glue which is not an instant bond, as its repositionable for 60 seconds, though on non porous surfaces it seems to take longer. I am also using it on a laser cut building kit and plastic sheet as well as card and wood.

It states its extra strong and designed for larger surfaces. It comes in a 20g tube so goes a long way. I have done quite a lot of work with it and found its excellent

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, AndyID said:

Hi,

Which scale?

Indoor or outdoor?

Type of printer? (FDM, resin)

If FDM, which filament? (there are a lot and they all have different properties)

Andy

Hello Andy,

I'll answer your questions as best as I can.

7mm

Indoor it's going to be an exhibition layout

Printed by Shapeways, printer unknown

Smooth fine detail plastic

Is that any help to you?

OzzyO.

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, hayfield said:

Ozzyo

I bought some Loctite 60 second all purpose glue as I wanted to stick plastic timbers and sleepers to my trackbed. Its a cyanoacrylate glue which is not an instant bond, as its repositionable for 60 seconds, though on non porous surfaces it seems to take longer. I am also using it on a laser cut building kit and plastic sheet as well as card and wood.

It states its extra strong and designed for larger surfaces. It comes in a 20g tube so goes a long way. I have done quite a lot of work with it and found its excellent

Hello hayfield,

do you have a photo showing the tube or package? As that would help as you see so many difrent types of glue.

Thanks

OzzyO.

9 minutes ago, ozzyo said:

Hello hayfield,

do you have a photo showing the tube or package? As that would help as you see so many difrent types of glue.

Thanks

OzzyO.

Here is a link

https://www.loctite-consumer.co.uk/en/products/all-purpose-glue/60_sec_all-purposeglue.html

A high strength super glue (gel) in a decent size tube and may be slightly longer setting period

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, ozzyo said:

Hello Andy,

I'll answer your questions as best as I can.

7mm

Indoor it's going to be an exhibition layout

Printed by Shapeways, printer unknown

Smooth fine detail plastic

Is that any help to you?

OzzyO.

Thanks. It's a "material jetting" printer which is a bit like an inkjet printer. More info here including a data sheet for the actual material.

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/fine-detail-plastic

That stuff can be difficult to glue and the parts might have a wax residue on them from the printing process. As it's a portable exhibition layout you need a really secure connection between the chairs and the timbers particularly if the chairs are holding the rail in place.

Best to do some serious testing before yet get too far with construction. The adhesive John (Hayfield) uses might be fine or you might have to go to a UV cured adhesive - bit like the stuff dentists use.

BTW that plastic is not suitable for use outdoors as it degrades with UV light which is why I asked. But you won't have that problem.

Just a thought but it might help to apply some sort of sealer to the plywood first.

Andy