Hornby VIX Ferry van

Hello

i have a rake of 12 Hornby VIX ferry vans of varying ages. They are a nightmare on double slips and crossovers because the wheels are able to rotate they tend to travel and derail. back to backs are correct. 

i am considering fixing the axels in place, my question is will this effect the running capabilities on curves if a wagon as long as a ferry van has fixed axels, and more the point, when the full rake of 12 are running together. 

regards

Dan 

The problem is that they were designed to run on trainset curves. Fixing the axle units  in place should help with your problem, as would replacing the them with compensation units. MJT offer suitable axle units. (Others are also available.)

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt.php#SuspensionSystems-WagonCompensationUnits

steve

• Thanks 1

I have locked all mine in place. They must be absolutely square to the chassis. Make sure you have good wheels and they are at 14.5btb. At least Romfords or the latest Hornby/Bachmann wheels.

Like this they are fine down to 2nd radius (Peco Double Slip).

Why not lock 2 or 3 up with Blutac and test.

Dave.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

30 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I have locked all mine in place. They must be absolutely square to the chassis. Make sure you have good wheels and they are at 14.5btb. At least Romfords or the latest Hornby/Bachmann wheels.

Like this they are fine down to 2nd radius (Peco Double Slip).

Why not lock 2 or 3 up with Blutac and test.

Dave.

Yes all will have new metal Hornby wheel sets. Good idea with the blue tak. i'll try that first. thanks

I would fix the axleguard assemblies and do something about the excessive solebar height at the same time, This would also eliminate the unsightly gap between solebar and axleguard.

The real thing has a minimum radius of 46m, so the model should be OK on a bit less thanks to the slop between wheel and rail.

Mine is still to do....

Edited by Il Grifone

Actually 13.125* mm which, taking advantage of the prototype allowance for wear, matches the Hornby wheels at 12.6mm. One does not need any additional height below the solebar on anything with Tri-ang origins....

One could even push things and use standard 12mm wheels!   :secret:

* There are a lot more digits, but I rounded it off.

• Thanks 1

I found fixing one set up and keeping on able to swivel but added chocks to limit the swivel radius helped a lot. I don't have train set curves but when I glued them all up they did bind a little and reversing through crossovers wasn't exactly great with both sets glued up.

Cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, almost - I have fitted 3-link type couplings to a number of Hornby longer wheel base wagons but i cheated - at one end of each wagon the coupling has 4 links on the chain which gives them that little extra amount of room between the wagons.