Ordering from LMS of Hornby New Releases

Drifter

I visited my Hornby stockist to place my orders for the 2022 new releases and for some track etc. I have been a loyal customer for a number of years.

I was told that the shop had decided to keep track of orders that the following ordering system was in place.

The shop had  put every single item they sell onto spreadsheets. I, as a customer would email the shop and request a copy of these spreadsheets. LMS will then email them to me, I   can then download them and fill in all my details and put the number of items I would like to order in the indicated quantity box. I was told that I  should note that he was  unable to confirm if the items are actually in stock at this stage. I was warned that due to the size of the spreadsheets I will need a large screen computer, two screens make it a lot easier. It was explained I  won’t be able to use a tablet or my phone. Simply save the document attach it to an email and return to the shop. 

Said stockist will then acknowledge that the email has been received, usually within 24 hours. If  the shop happens to notice that I have ordered anything that is out of stock or not available to me, (apparently two different criteria), he will let me know, provided it’s not his day off or on annual leave. If it is his  day off, I  will receive an automated email requesting that as he's not working  can I as the customer send the whole thing to someone else. They will then contact me. The LMS  will then forward my email to  their sales department. They will then put my order onto their  computer system. Placing any out of stock items on back order for me in case they happen to get more stock or a customer cancels their order.  I will then recive confirmation of my order. The sales will then forward my order to their despatch department. The despatch will not look at my order for ten days, maybe a lot longer, because they are "busy busy".

I was then told  I should allow them a month or two rest assured they were dealing with it but had to rely on a third party. 

I was also told that I may receive an email saying that my parcel had been despatched. However I should check with the courier because sometimes the courier might have been told their was a parcel but they didn't actually physically have it. Especially at the end of the month. Not to worry the shop said as it would leave eventually. It just wouldn't arrive when I expected it.

This shop does have a website but not for the customers like me who order regulary.

To make things even worse, despite being a loyal customer for many years I will not be allowed to order what I like. The shop is restricting my buying. Even worse he explained that if they hadn't sent the items by a certain date even if they were in stock, then I would have to pay more.

Then the shop dropped a final bombshell. As they had more important customers than me, they would not be be doing anything with my order for about two weeks.

I also asked about ordering some Airfix and paints. "That's two different forms". Glad I don't collect Scalextric, "ah that's a different form as well." Can I order them straight away I asked? Explained that I would have my order looked at in two weeks also.

Should I take my business elsewhere?

• Friendly/supportive 1

It is difficult to chose whom to pre-order Hornby from.  For example last year the London and South Western coaches were must have models for me yet I wanted a 10% discount and I wanted the items to arrive properly packed so that ruled out ordering from Hornby.

I thought the best bet would be Hattons as they had given good service in the past so I pre-ordered from them.  Then I heard Hattons were having pre-orders from Hornby delayed so I cancelled the order and pre-ordered from Kernow who had also given good service.  Kernow delivered two coaches in February and the rest were to follow.  After five months I rang Kernow again and they said that they would be ready in December and when they said that the remaining coaches would follow they expected them in a few weeks.  I told them that the coaches had been available directly from Hornby since June and they said they would chase them up.  Kernow had some unlit coaches in stock so I bought them and cancelled the order.  Two weeks ago the coaches were available from Hattons so I bought a brake coach of their shelves.

I think that this time I will order from my LMS ( local mode shop) as they give good service but are sometimes let down by Hornby.  It may not be necessary to pre-order the new LSWR coaches, City of London and Golden Fleece as I think supply will exceed demand but I think I will need to pre-order the LNER Coronation coaches and I hope I will not end up with an observation car and a brake third and kitchen third missing from the set.

• RMweb Gold

If this is legit I can't see this retailer staying in business much longer. Preordering the 2022 Hornby seems to be a minefield enough without this insanity, the dude roleplaying a Vogon from Hitchhikers guide?

• Funny 1

I would support your local shop where possible, we are lucky to have them as many others don't anymore. This mess is Hornby's doing and each shop has to try to manage as best possible. My local already have multiple customer asking for items they have already sold out on, he even joked saying he soon wouldn't need his Hornby cabinet as he won't have anything to put in it. He did say Rep will be taking a wishlist of extra stock he would like for any unallocated stock and feedback for the bosses. Hornby might see the demand for items and try to boost production this has already happened on tier 1 Drax wagons.

• Informative/Useful 1

The comments make interesting and as l thought predictable reading. What is Vogon poetry ?

Everything in my post above is what my LMS has to do to order from Hornby. The above is actually Hornby’s trade ordering system not the shop.

Doesn’t make any business sense to have a system like this. 

The comment made by shunny above of supporting your local model shop makes even more sense knowing what they have to do to get products from Hornby.