Thoughts please on making a bespoke transport box for a 29 inch long articulated OO/HO rolling stock item

Hello

I have a 29 inch long articulated transformer wagon in HO gauge. It currently store in three pieces in its original Bachmann box.  My layout is only run at shows and so this modcel has been assembled and disassembled many times and has suffered as a result - i.e. the model is really designed to be assembled once and then left that way. The model is getting damaged with these constant builds and break-downs and it also takes up valuable time at exhibitions.

So, I was thinking if anyone had built a bespoke carrying box/case for something like this. Ideally I was thinking of something which I could simply place on top of a fiddle yard track and it could be pushed off and onto the track - maybe using a PECO re-railer.

Any thoughts please?

I would suggest a cassette of a suitable length with sides that are high enough to protect the stock.

That of course requires enough room to enable the stock to run onto it. A re-railer should be able to do the job with the cassette placed on top of the track.

I have a German DMU by Kato that came in a long box. A very sensible idea. I have often thought that a few more of thee boxes would be very useful.

As usual I have been too lazy to try and source such an item.

Bernard

Just now, Bernard Lamb said:

I would suggest a cassette of a suitable length with sides that are high enough to protect the stock.

That of course requires enough room to enable the stock to run onto it. A re-railer should be able to do the job with the cassette placed on top of the track.

I have a German DMU by Kato that came in a long box. A very sensible idea. I have often thought that a few more of thee boxes would be very useful.

As usual I have been too lazy to try and source such an item.

Bernard

That sounds the kind of thing!

I will need to make something like that.

Any photos please?

4 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

Some whiskies are sold in ideally sized oblong tins that have a hinged lid, ideal for a loco or coach…just cut some foam to line it and job done.

BeRTIe

If you are buying whisky in the sort of quantities to require a box that can fit a 29" long train in it, you are either a publican, or ought to talk to someone about your alcoholism.

Jon

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

15 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

That sounds the kind of thing!

I will need to make something like that.

Any photos please?

From the crude but effective school.

These plug into the end of the scenic part of the layout with a similar, but opposite handed, guide. Crocodile clips can be used to power them up. i use them with low sides and they are stored on a shelf above the layout. For transport a deeper side and a lid with some sort of foam lining would be needed. A yonks old idea so I am unable to credit the originator.

Bernard

DSC_0626.JPG.e5e5ea1879f9f7f969587fd40243dca7.JPG

• Like 1

One of the comments to a video on YouTube to a video on H0 scale UP Big Boys, suggested the boxes that windscreen wipers come in for storage. It must be an American thing as here they come in those wretched transparent plastic things. (I cannot recall if they called them windshield wipers!)

The custom cassette above seems a better idea though.

• RMweb Premium

Given the value of the wagon, I'd opt for one of these:

16 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Have you seen "Trainsafe" from Germany?
https://shop.train-safe.de/index.php?lang=1&cl=start

If you're set on a home-brew option then have a look to see if any of the electric/network cable Trunking/Conduit sizes would fit the wagon.

Steven B.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Given the value of the wagon, I'd opt for one of these:

If you're set on a home-brew option then have a look to see if any of the electric/network cable Trunking/Conduit sizes would fit the wagon.

Steven B.

Not a bad idea - a section of 3 x 3 would allow for ample foam protection, although the lids of many types are a very tight fit.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I have been attempting to put all these suggestions and ideas into practice.

Total cost so far - ZERO - all left-overs from other projects.

The base is a slice off an old wooden shelf. The sides are cut from some left-over ply  as is the foam.

The two sides are 'hinged' and fold up and all I need now is some super large robber bands or similar to hold the whole thing together.

IMG_20220114_185650.jpg.bf0c88ec04e1ba73e8fa7654e179af4a.jpg

I will try to test it on Sunday when I can get to a FY board.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 14/01/2022 at 10:27, Bernard Lamb said:

These plug into the end of the scenic part of the layout with a similar, but opposite handed, guide. Crocodile clips can be used to power them up. i use them with low sides and they are stored on a shelf above the layout. For transport a deeper side and a lid with some sort of foam lining would be needed. A yonks old idea so I am unable to credit the originator.

Bernard

DSC_0626.JPG.e5e5ea1879f9f7f969587fd40243dca7.JPG

Here is my version in action. 

It sits on top of the FY roads and connects to a PECO rerailer - note that I have added some more packing.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

15 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Looks like the Chinese version of a Schnabel car

This is a Bachmann version:

210244609_schnabelcar.JPG.7d8514a75cf24d1ced5552916ac03420.JPG

Yes, it's also Bachmann.

Here is the real one, steam hauled in March 2005

chinatut2005springgroupa428.jpg.1a6d4df8ded07c79969ee3f2213ca619.jpg

chinatut2005springgroupa430.jpg.d88bbcc063eeb2a23aa462078f0ddcbf.jpg

• Like 2